Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The retrieving urge

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

We nearly always do the same walk in the morning, there are quite a few rabbits there, just recently there have been quite a few dead ones.
    Alfie just can't resist them, it seems like a driving force within him to pick them up and carry them, it's the only time that he really defies me.
    I try and get him to drop them, and he will but as soon as I go to walk away he pounces and picks them up again, some are shall we say, past their sell by date.
    I end up with the whole walk having bits of rabbit hung in trees:D
    If they are recent deaths then I let him carry them back to the car, he is so pleased with this his head held high, his ears up and his front legs kicking out like a hackney horse.
    I'm lucky that he doesn't have the urge to eat them.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Bless him.
    He's a clever boy keeping his pize away from you:)
    Zipper has no urge to reteive - he just eats anything he finds.- but then he hasn't any retriver in him.

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Heheheh :D :D
    Reminds me of Arnie and his two dalmation friends when they found a dead squrrill, they chased each other around the fields for ages and when we finally got it off them banjo (who carried the thing most the time) jumped and gave me a big kiss :eek: was good exercise for the dogs tho :rolleyes:

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm just waiting for this to kick in with Sophie shes a mix of two retriever breeds luckily so far she's not very interested.

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

You're right, you are lucky that he doesn't have the urge to eat them, there are few things as bad as a sloppy kiss from a dog who's just scoffed a decomposing animal!

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

thankfully bailey has never picked up a dead animal... yet...

he picks up EVERYTHING else. drives me mad sometimes. hes usually content to carry a stick or a pine cone though.

7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert is a nightmare with carryign things. Even bloomin' tissue or a leaf, until he finds something dead which is obviously so much better. He WILL eat it though, not easy to get it off him as I don't want to shove my hand in his mouth either!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice