Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The reasons for castration of male dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Apr 19, 2011.

?

What are the main reasons for castration?

1. Vet told you to get it done

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Friends/family told you to get it done

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. You researched yourself and found it the best option

39 vote(s)
    78.0%
  4. Medical reason (eg undescended testicle)

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. You don't like the look/feel of the testicles

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

What were your main reasons for castrating your male dogs? Just interested what opinions are really. :)

(poll is multiple choice.)

#1 SEVEN_PETS, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

Both my boys were already neutered when I adopted them. But I would always opt for neutering, as I have absolutely no intention of ever breeding. I think it's kinder for the dog not to be wanting any bitches in heat that he can't have.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I voted -You researched yourself and found it the best option - because of possible health reasons later in life, he has enough already :rolleyes: I did hope it would stop him being a grump with some other dogs to, but it did'nt, but I dont like everybody I meet so .............. :lol:

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I voted researched myself and don't like the look of them :eek:
    I don't ever want to breed and for health and behaviour felt it was best.
    Plus you didn't have an option for 8 month hormone driven dog humping every menstrurating teenage girl he met.

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Rusty-I researched and found there was a higher chance of his agression towards other un-nueterd males would settle down if not stop. It was done and although I have heard he is unhappy with them, he longer fights instead he walks off.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Similar to NoSpecialFeaturesHere's reasons. Our first rescue was 3 when we got him and was neutered. Our Staffie who we got as a pup was scheduled in to be neutered and we cooperated with the rescue on this, for numerous reasons and most of them are obvious. As I intend to stick with rescue dogs, I'll always wish for them to be neutered.

I must say, as odd as it may sound, compared to our intact males that we've had (rest in peace lovelies), our neutered boys have a certain endearing innocence about them being 'asexual' :eek: Plus, although they get mistaken for females, I think they look better without their:

[​IMG]

#6 shibby, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

My reason is not there, in that we chose not to breed and were taking in a female who was due to have a season at anytime, so we went down the route of having both of them done at the same time, and not being tempted to breed from them, cos they are both great dogs (apparently) and we had offers, but decided not the right thing for us and also we meet lots of intact males and females while out and about and live in a built up area so wanted to avoid any possible problems from other peoples dogs as much as our own.

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

i didnt research in depth, nor was i pressured by the vets or family..

I just didnt want to risk puppies as I live near several parks and alot of unspayed bitches get off lead walks there.. There is no option for me to say for ethical reasons/no puppies :(

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I castrated Ollie because I did some research and thought it best to castrate and when he was mature too. My vet advised me to get it done, and I hated the look and feel of his testicles so wanted them removed anyway. :eek:

10. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Undescended testicle.

He's much happier since the op, able to enjoy life instead of being obsessed with humping.

11. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Louie was my first male dog, i researched it and felt it was in his best interests to get him done. plus he was humping everything.

Toby had both testicles retained at 9mths, so he was done for health reasons.

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

You don't have an option for "so oversexed he was dangerous". That is why I got both mine done, rampant randiness on anything that moved, dogs, people, the cat, anything!

13. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I agree with Savahl, we got him done to prevent unwanted puppies and unwanted behaviour that entire dogs can bring. I don't think there's really an option for that so I haven't voted.

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Ask me a few years ago, and I'd have agreed, lop 'em off. But having known many working folk with entire dogs and bitches, I don't see the need, unless for health reasons, and you actually increase the associated health problems with dogs by neutering. So, I'm n the I can't have a vote camp, because I see absolutely no reason for the neutering of healthy, normal behaved males. And, btw, my bitch Indie, humps as a display of dominance, she's spayed, so for anyone that thinks that neutering/spaying stops sexual type of behaviour, think again. Perhaps what your dog is displaying is something different, and lopping them off or whipping it out won't cure that.

Funny how, and apols in advance as I KNOW this will get taken way out of context, but, I heard of a friend recently had to make a 3 hour round trip with bitch and pups to have their tails docked at 3 days old. And yet we have vets hounding us to whip reproductive systems out before animals are mature, sometimes, I believe, to the detriment of the animal. Wonder why that is??

15. tjk

tjk PetForums Senior

He was marking everything in his orbit was getting impossible to walk him as he constantly had one leg off the ground an wouldn't move and everything in the house was 'his'. also very hyper all the time and impossible to train all these problems have been fixed since having it done so happy :)

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I would never keep a dog intact again, i dont know about neutering causing ilnesses so i certainly cant contradict that, but what i can say is that we saw harvey suffer terribly something that could have been prevented by us if we had,had him neutered.

17. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I had no intention of getting Henrick castrated but when Bella came along I had no choice, I couldnt say 100% I would be able to keep them seperate and I was advised it could be really bad to get Bella spayed before she was physically mature, so poor Henrick had to make the sacrifice, I dont think he minds though;).

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Just had a quick count up, I regularly help look after at least five entire males, as well as a number of other entire bitches, who's the most dominant? Indie, spayed bitch. Who is the one who cocks her leg to pee over other dogs whether male or female? Indie. Wow, I must have the most male unhormonal female dog in existance!! She'll be thrilled when I tell her ;)

19. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I can't believe there are dog owners out there who would put a dog through an operation because they didn't like the look/feel of his balls!! :eek:

20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im going for the missing option too!!
    'to prevent unwanted behaviours'.
    Like humping everything in sight:001_tt1:, cocking his leg in the house :mad:and on random people he met in the park:eek:!
    Even after that he still has to get jiggy with his teddy bear at least once a day and managed to tie with Heidi several times on her season. (and he always tries to hump westies for some reason).
    Although my old family BC was never neutered and had no sex drive at all. He didnt know what it was for, bless him..:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice