UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching raw feeding, both on here and elsewhere.

Currently, my two have Natural Instinct raw along with quality German tins (Grau, AC, macs etc)

Natural instinct only adds taurine, it doesn't add other supplements I have seen recommended. Also it is a mince, so doesn't have the additional benefits of chunk gnawing that home made has.

I am thinking about making my own, but do a mixed approach.... So still have 1 meal a day tinned and 1 meal a day raw.

My plan (from collating from the research) was to mince some chicken/duck carcass bones along with some liver and hearts... Then to add larger chunks of chicken and duck. I was going to add taurine, brewers yeast and a liquid vitamin tonic that is high in Vit D. I was also considering getting some salmon oil capsules, but don't know if this is necessary as I have the Vit D based tonic (which also has Vit A too so I would ensure the liver is no more than 5% of the feed, the tonic is actually a poultry one I have, but looking at the ingredients, I think it would be good for the cats too)

My hope is (and please tell me if I am being naive) that the mix of tinned and raw will mean if I miss anything in the raw, they should get it from the quality tinned, but they will also get the natural gnawing benefits from the raw.

It also means I have more control over the raw I feed which you don't with NI.

Does this sound a sensible approach? I know a number of you are experts on raw feeding. I know my two aren't happy with a raw chicken wing, but will happily eat raw chunks and minced bones. They will, however, also catch and eat mice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I just thought I'd point out something. Brewers yeast contains no vitamin B-12, which is pretty important, so you may want to look into another form of B. Do your cat's like brewers yeast? It was a pretty powerful flavor, like a stock cube. I personally add 1 Jarrows B-Right capsule to 1kg of food, plus 500mg of B12 per day as they don't really have much taste.

Salmon oil is for the omega 3. I give 2 capsules per week, or 2,000mg.

You haven't added any vitamin E, does your 'tonic' have this also? The best kind of vitamin E is one with mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols. Example: Jarrows Toco-Sorb or Vitacost Vitamin E & Tocotrienol Complex.

It's good that your cat's eat mice, maybe you could look into frozen mice and chicks for them as well.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I just thought I'd point out something. Brewers yeast contains no vitamin B-12, which is pretty important, so you may want to look into another form of B.
Well, mine does. Also, I think b12 is less of an issue with carnivores as a lot of vit b 12 comes from animal sources.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have been researching raw feeding, both on here and elsewhere.

Currently, my two have Natural Instinct raw along with quality German tins (Grau, AC, macs etc)

Natural instinct only adds taurine, it doesn't add other supplements I have seen recommended. Also it is a mince, so doesn't have the additional benefits of chunk gnawing that home made has.

I am thinking about making my own, but do a mixed approach.... So still have 1 meal a day tinned and 1 meal a day raw.

My plan (from collating from the research) was to mince some chicken/duck carcass bones along with some liver and hearts... Then to add larger chunks of chicken and duck. I was going to add taurine, brewers yeast and a liquid vitamin tonic that is high in Vit D. I was also considering getting some salmon oil capsules, but don't know if this is necessary as I have the Vit D based tonic (which also has Vit A too so I would ensure the liver is no more than 5% of the feed, the tonic is actually a poultry one I have, but looking at the ingredients, I think it would be good for the cats too)

My hope is (and please tell me if I am being naive) that the mix of tinned and raw will mean if I miss anything in the raw, they should get it from the quality tinned, but they will also get the natural gnawing benefits from the raw.

It also means I have more control over the raw I feed which you don't with NI.

Does this sound a sensible approach? I know a number of you are experts on raw feeding. I know my two aren't happy with a raw chicken wing, but will happily eat raw chunks and minced bones. They will, however, also catch and eat mice :rolleyes:
Good on you for wanting to do it yourself. I personally don't understand this recent fad of relying on premade raw given that one of the benefits of raw is that you have utter control over what you feed your cats, which is again taken away when you use premade stuff.

Re the supplements; their use is really up to you. I use them because I come from a raw feeding culture that doesn't quite believe that the meat bought in supermarkets (which has been well hung) is quite as nutritious as a freshly caught mouse. Also, I think one is fairly limited in the types of raw one can get to recreate that mouse.

However, loads of raw feeders - particularly from the UK and the US loathe the use of supplements.

So, you really need to do as much reading as you possibly can and make up your own mind. However, I would look very carefully at your poultry supplement to make double and triple sure that you are not overdoing it with something (you mention Vit A; well that is quite easily had with liver, which also contains other nutrients so I would always favour feeding fresh liver over using a supplement).

Re mincing the bone; well, if your cats don't eat bone then they are very much forcing your hands and mincing the bone and adding to chunks of meat may be a good way forward for you. I believe Cookieandme do exactly that.

Anyhow, best of luck!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the responses. :D

As for the meat, I ONLY buy meat from local free range farmers I can trace, not supermarket rubbish (sorry if this offends anyone!).

Also over time, I have got to know my poultry and lamb farmers quite well.

My poultry farmer is doing me a bag of hearts and is also going to supply me with livers. My plan for this weekend is to have a whole duck, take the breasts off for hubby and I, and then mince the carcass along with some hearts and liver, them cut the thighs, drumsticks and wings into chunks.

Re the bones, I don't understand why they won't eat whole chicken bones (have tried necks and wings) but they will happily eat a whole mouse, bones and all. Hence why mincing the bones seemed to make sense to me.

I will do more research regarding the supplements, I know some places I have read don't add any (not even taurine) and others are very precise on how they are needed and exact quantities.

I will keep reading, and maybe will delay adding my poultry tonic until I have read more. I have taurine already.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should add, I will ensure that the liver will be no more than 5% and the bone no more than 10%

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well despite being full of cold, and having not been out of bed since Tuesday, I still went to my free range farmers market this morning.

I have bought:
Chicken carcass, chicken wings, chicken drumsticks, chicken livers, chicken hearts.
Duck carcass, duck livers, duck legs
Pheasant legs
Lambs kidneys, lamb breast
Turkey leg
Minced pork, belly pork

So I have enough bone for 10%, enough liver for 5%, enough kidney for 5%... Which I am going to mince together, adding taurine and brewers yeast (both dissolved in water) and then I have a variety of different meats to make different flavours for variety :D

Good job I have a small freezer just for the cats hey ;) It came to just over £20 for all that, but I reckon that will make a shed load of meals.... Will report back when I've done it :D

I've come back to bed for a nap now ;)

Oh, and the game guy was also selling squirrel, so I've bought that for OH and I :001_tt2:

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What can I say... I was feeling brave and squirrels were making a right racket this morning :lol:

The carcases are great, as you can yank out the kidneys and chop the rib bones which are lovely and small. he sells them for stock for a quid for two and there's usually extra necks inside :D

I have made their food up now, and frozen in whilst it's fresh. It is frozen in 75g individual portions (give or take a gram or two ;) ). They have:

• 10 portions of pheasant flavour
    10 portions of turkey flavour
    8 portions of chicken and duck flavour
    18 portions of pork flavour
    16 portions of lamb flavour

So that's 62 individual portions :eek: so a months worth of 1 portion a day each :grin:

The meat (as cheaper cuts are used) cost me around £20, so about 70p a day :grin:

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good effort Space Chick! :)
Thanks Hobbs :D

Hard work though!

Let's just hope they do eat it.... Can't see why they won't :p There is enough variety in flavours.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Squirrel tails make great toys for cats. I got 2 the other day for my kittens and they love them. When they run around with them in their mouths it looks as if they've got a big moustache :D
Cute though that sounds, I think I am too squeamish to be able to cope with it - I am rather fond of our squirrels:) They even have their own special feeding boxes I fill with peanuts (so they leave the bird feeders alone).:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.