Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Poppy Link made me wonder.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by northnsouth, Oct 27, 2012.

1. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

Reading the link on who does and does not wear a Poppy I noticed a lot of members have family who are service men or woman.

I would be interested to see just how many.

I know of two other than my self..

So care to share..

#1 northnsouth, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

No immediate family currently serve - but living in an area with a massive Navy population I have plenty of close friends.

3. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

My fiance is just going through all the assessments to start training in the army :) He's just got his selection to go and then he'll be in training :D

4. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Yes my husband is in the army

5. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

my young cousin is in the army, following in the footsteps of his dad, grandad my eldest brother and another cousin. two other cousins were in the raf until they retired a few years ago.

6. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I have living relatives that are WW2, Vietnam, Korean War and Gulf War vets. One is retired from the coast guard. One of my now deceased relatives was a WW1 vet.

7. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Forgot to add my brother has just passed his first assessment to join the navy :) and OHs cousin has just gotten his commission in the navy after only 6 years!

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I was in the Army (still on Reserve list), hubby is in the Army and consequently the vast majority of my friends are too.

My Grandpa and Great Grandpa were Army. All my Grandmother's brothers were Army, as was her father.

My SIL, FIL, FIL's father and Grandfather were RAF (guessing the latter must have been RFC, guessing at dates). My MIL's father was SAAF.

ETA: I keep editing as I remember more!!

#8 Dogless, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

my older brother in law did 2 years in the raf but decided not to make a career, my younger brother in law is in the navy and has been for about 14 years. my husband did all but the last week of his basic training in the navy, unfortunatly he injured himself and the choice was either a medical discharge or they would fix him up and he'd have to redo his training. poor sod went into awful depression and chose medical discharge. although its a shame, if he hadnt i wouldnt have met him and we wouldnt have C :) my great grandfathers on both sides served in ww2

10. northnsouth

Thanks..
    My Father and my Uncles all served in WW2 . My Father was seriously injured in Italy and carried both physical and mental scars from it. He never got over his love affair with Italy and the beautiful girls who helped nurse him. Two of his brothers did not come home. My BIL was army until he took retirement a few years ago. I spent several school holidays out in Germany learning to play Cribbage with his mates ;) One of my close friends was in the Falklands.

My Son serves in the RAF, and he has many friends who are in the forces. Both Army and RAF. One who I have known since he was a little lad is in Afghanistan again at the moment.

#10 northnsouth, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

A member of OH's immediate family was a sniper. He will never recover from what he's done (nothing illegal, the thought of innocents in crossfire haunts him). I have a friend who joined up last year, personally hate the thought of someone so young going where he goes, but it is an ambition achieved for him, so I haven't peed on his chips by letting him know ;)

12. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

My 2 brothers are both in the Army and have done tours of Iraq, Bosnia & Afghan. My oldest brother is out in Afghan at the moment & served in both Gulf Wars. Always a worry time especially for my Mum.

13. Ariana1985

Ariana1985 PetForums Member

Most of my and my husband family served in armed forces
    My husband also served in Bosnian conflict -and that left him with mental scars -that are still open .

14. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

My great granddad was in ww2 (I think it was ww2 :eek: ) and one of my older brothers was in the army for 2 years, but it was too much for him I think... He's a completly different person now and doesn't talk to any of the family...

15. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

My grandad and great uncle both served in WW2, as most people of that generation did. I know a couple of people who are currently serving, but the main reason I have such strong feelings is because of the school I went to. The headmistress and her husband had both been majors in the army, and she was the first woman to command an all male field force squadron. Consequently we were taught respect for the armed forces. It was a boarding school, and a lot of the girls there had parents in Germany or elsewhere. I really started to understand the worry that families in that situation face every day, and I think they're due respect whether you think wars and fighting are morally wrong or not.

16. northnsouth

That is such a shame.

17. basi

basi PetForums Senior

My husband is in the army nearing the end of his 22 years and I have cousins that are also in the army.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice