The Petrolhead Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FeelTheBern, Apr 13, 2018.

1. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern Don't tell him, Pike!

If my memory serves, prices for the Land Cruiser start at around £50000. Not cheap!
    How about getting a Dacia Duster which costs less than most city cars? Yes, the doors go clack when you shut them, and it's kind of a Renault, but it is good value and surprisingly able!

2. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums Resident Evil.

I'd rather have the Lada Cossack. The Russians say, unlike Litvinenko, it's impossible to kill. Unfortunately, I like 'stylish' :)
    The Dacia Duster is just a high rise Trabant. It looks a fairly decent car from the front, but moving around to the side and the rear it becomes quite evident the designers lost touch with their imaginations. It's full of rattling hard touch plastics and the interior only looks bigger because there's nowt in it. The Prestige isn't prestigious at all. Front and rear mud flaps and heavy duty rubber foot mats still come as optional extras.:(

westie~ma and cbcdesign like this.
  3. FeelTheBern

It seems you're after something more upmarket. How about the not humble and possibly deadly Mercedes GLC? Tons of handy gadgets, genuine off-road ability, fuel efficient and very practical. If you're prepared to sacrifice fuel economy for performance, go for an AMG variant.

4. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

The weather is turning here, so with a heavy heart the Mini is back under cover and away for a few months.... or at least until the next reliably sunny weekend!

I am wasting all my money on house DIY but next year and considering buying a mini shell as a rebuild project! Either that or a KIT car - a friend of mine built a replica AC Cobra and it’s great fun...maybe a Caterham or a Lotus? Not a cheap hobby though...

FeelTheBern likes this.
  5. Zaros

One of the most important criteria we have to consider is load height. We have an 80 kilo dog that would require a bit of a run up to be able to launch himself into anything higher than the vehicle we have now. He's 9 and already beginning to show his years.
    Ramps are out of the question because they would take up load space and restrict the dogs travelling comfort.
    We actually came to a sound realisation after our trip around the car showrooms yesterday, and that realisation is, our present car has a far better build quality than some of the plastic piles of junk that were on display.
    Salesperson at Hyundai seemed a bit put out when I told him. 'It's the same company' he snapped. 'Well, they ought to get their act together because only 30% of that company are getting it right' I told him.

However, as overall vehicle size is another consideration I have to make, MrsZee is slightly intimidated by big cars, the Opel Astra Estate for example, (Vauxhall Astra UK) is fitted with either a 1.0 or 1.4 litre turbo charged engine.
    Now, to me, that's a little lump that has to do an awful lot of work to be able to take itself, the large-ish car it powers, us, the two dogs and a roof box full of our luggage etc, from the north of the country to the south all in the space of one day. (1280 kilometres approximately 800 miles in pounds, shillings and pence)
    I tend to form the impression we'd be flogging those tiny horses to death in no time at all.

I did, however fall truly, madly, deeply in love with the Volvo S90. Unfortunately, there was no room for either the dogs or MrsZee to sit.;)

Chances are we will opt for the same model but the more updated edition obviously, at another dealership.

FeelTheBern and Magyarmum like this.
  6. FeelTheBern

Have you considered the V90?

7. Zaros

I did.
    The price tag too.:Wideyed

Oscar has absorbed at least half of that cost over his life so far.
    Maybe we should consider trading him in for something with a little more sting in its tail. The KIA stinger for example.

That's a nice car and no mistake.:)

I

FeelTheBern likes this.
  8. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Anyone got any opinions on a Lexus LS430, i've heard they are bulletproof reliable so considering one?

9. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

They rusted for a pastime, often leaked, the electrical systems were prone to damp, starter motors often jammed and the heaters were terrible. Some cars even leaked into boots or seating areas when new, they were that bad. It was not at all unusual to see cars broken down on the side of the road in the 70's, there are millions more cars on the roads now but you do not see the equivalent growth in the number of stranded vehicles on the side of our carriageways..

I have a brand new car ordered, a Seat Ateca Excellence due in May. Its a very clever bit of kit.

#29 cbcdesign, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  10. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Japanese cars factor very highly in the reliability listings.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  11. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

And you see very few people who can actually do the basics in maintenance, i had to help a woman at work get a puncture fixed, turns out she'd bought the car new two years ago and have never checked the tires, oil, water etc.

cbcdesign likes this.
  12. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Doesn't the car tell you all that stuff now? I know mine scared the bejesus out of me by beeping at me and flashing up a warning sign and after further investigation it told me that apparently my front passenger tyre pressure was low, it's far too clever for it's own good.

cbcdesign and FeelTheBern like this.
  13. FeelTheBern

VW Golf DSG?

14. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I prefer older cars. I was trained in car maintenance by mechanics who worked for my grandparents, it was standard for me and my cousins when we passed our test. My first car, a Ford Capri MK II was maintained by me (female btw just to add some equality here) but my current car, an X Trail is completely hidden. I have changed the tyre but that and the wiper blades are about it. It’s very annoying. Mind you I say that, I actually cycle most places on my super eco friendly ancient Raleigh Silverline 3 speed bike!

grumpy goby and Doyley like this.
  15. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Yes a whizzy GTI no less :D I love him dearly.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  16. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

It's a mk1 Focus :) Great car!

FeelTheBern likes this.
  17. Zaros

From new? :Jawdrop What about her warranty service?o_O

Long story, but I once saw a woman fill her car engine with so much oil, by the time I realised what she was doing and stopped her, the oil itself had filled up the space in the rocker cover.:Facepalm
    Poor woman told me her husband had always taken care of the car but as he'd died earlier in the year that responsibility was down to her.
    She knew where the filler thingy was and as the light on the car's instrument panel was showing a little red oil can she decided to 'Fill' up with oil.

She's with her husband now and the car, a BMW series 5 (E12) has probably gone to the great scrapyard in the sky too.

18. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

The Ford Capri is one of my all time favourite cars!! I would have one in a heartbeat even today but sadly budget does not allow it :(

ETA: Also female :D

JANICE199 and FeelTheBern like this.
  19. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Yes nowadays quite a lot of warning systems with actual text rather than symbol many don't understand come up on screen telling the driver what is amiss. My car nags me to get it serviced 30 days before the due date too and its hard to miss, it come up both when I start the car and when I switch off. I would imagine all Seats, Skoda's, Audi's and VW's do this now since they are all owned by the VW group.

MontyMaude and FeelTheBern like this.
  20. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

My car has the tyre pressure warning on constantly because OH decided to put new wheels on it.

I took it to the dealer where they ran numerous tests to try and figure out why the pressure sensors weren’t working. Several hours later the conclusion was that the new wheels didn’t actually have sensors.

Thanks OH :oops:

MontyMaude likes this.