Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The perfect running companion

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rupedupe, May 19, 2010.

1. rupedupe

rupedupe PetForums Newbie

If any one could shed any light or talk from experience I would be very grateful.

We are looking into getting a new dog. I really enjoy my running and would like a dog capable of running fairly long distances. Up to about 10 miles at the moment but will hopefully start training for a marathon in the future.

I so want a dalmation, I know that they will be ideal to run with. I love there athletism, looks, size and the fact they are very active dogs. However every one wants to put me off this breed saying they are hard to train and so hyper they need working homes. I do work full time but the dog would rarely be alone. Would an hours walk in the morning, about half a hour midday and a run in the eve with poss another walk again last thing be enough? Weekends would also bring long day walks to explore the country side.

Just any suggestions would be great. I have a reasonable amount of experience with dogs, so not a novice owner by any means I just don't know this breed that well and dont want an unhappy dog. Thanks!

2. rona

rona Guest

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Seems wierd people putting you off when you run loads and Dally's are breed to run loads. Dont see how they are missing out on their working life either unless you can dress up like a carriage when you jog!!LOL
    There are a couple of owners on here though, 'spect they'll be along later.;)

4. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

my spaniel x collie is a fab one to run with - i jog with her (now and again) and shes fab :D

dalmations are lovely dogs :)

5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Dalmations aren't my breed but all the ones that have come to training have been ok, they might not win competitions but for pets they are fine. As long as you understand that you are not going to be able to take it running as a puppy and when it does start you will have to build up the distance slowly it sounds perfect for you. Take your time to look into the health issues and find a responsible breeder

6. Shamen

Shamen Guest

what about checking out your local rescue:) there will be lots of dogs all ages, shapes and sizes to choose from, my friend recently rescued a stunning pointer cross.

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i have that image in my head now! :lol:

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Dalmations would be perfect that's what they were bred to do run all day. Most of their bad rep comes from people getting the pretty spotty dogs and not realising they have a high energy intelligent breed on their hands that needs a lot of physical and mental exercise. I'm sure a dalmation would love that life. Obviously you can't run with them when they're puppies and you should start with small runs and build it up like humans really

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Ideal doh to run with be not as a puppy.. They were bred to be carriage horses.. fancy looking spotty dogs that ran next to horse and carriage... There for loads of stamina.. And they are great family/house dogs.. I have a friend who used to breed them..

10. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

we have a dal pup, when looking into a dog we were looking for a dog that would love lots of walks, be a nice family pet and also in the future when he is grown, enjoy going out running with myself or hubby. We have met SO many people who have said neg stuff about the breed, all the same things you have said but so far we have found him to be a lovely dog who learns so quickly and loves his walks but also loves a good lazy snore in the evenings too.

I personally would say a Dal would be perfect for your lifestyle

11. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Its also worth thinking about the gait of the dog and your running speed. There's nothing more annoying than your running speed being just at the point when a dog changes speeds and goes backwards and forewards from a trot to full running all the time. I saw someone running with a ridgeback the other night and commented to my DH that it was a perfect match with both the runner and the dog looking comfortable.

12. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

:) Not my breed, but We had a foster Dal for a bit, he was a lovely nice natured dog, he wasn't hyper but loved his walks, i love the Dally smile :p
    My sister is also hoping to have one before the year is out, great dogs! :)

13. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:idea: Husky :D Dalmatians are great for long walks but dont need tons of excersise every day our two spend most of the day snoozing after there walk :rolleyes: Holly is a runner she will go all day if you wanted her to Banjo would to but not allowed.

If you dont want to get a puppy & wait a couple of years for it to be ready for long runs try here :)

Dalmatian Welfare - Dogs waiting
    Dogs and Bitches
    Welfare - Dalmatian Club of Scotland

14. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

I personally have not seen a dally with a jogger,have seen lots of collies and labs etc.Why don't you go to a busy place where there will be cyclists and joggers etc and just watch and see what most people have and ask how they were etc to train regarding jogging.That way you get an honest opinion.

15. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

We have seen some out with runners, there was a lady who met up with eddie izzard too on his marathon thing that had a dalmatian out with them :)

16. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

A friend of my brother's has a dally and she does lots of long distance running. You seem like you have a good lifestyle for one. I think a lot of the negativity comes where people get a stunning looking dog and don't realise how much exercise it needs.

As an alternative what about a Ridgeback? They have two speeds 0mph in the house, snoring on the sofa and 100mph outdoors :lol: We have an 8 month old and work full-time, he's fine being left and sleeps more than our cat :rolleyes: However the same as a dally he can't do strenuous excercise until he's a bit older.

17. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i would recommend a collie?! they can run FOREVER.
    well in my experience mine bloody did!

18. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:lol::lol::lol: my mum & dads BC likes to herd our dallys :lol:

19. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

I think a lot of the gundog breeds make great jogging companions, particulary working bred dogs. Working Springers, Cockers, Pointer types (GSP, GWP...), Weims and other various other HPR's when fit would have no trouble at all in keeping up. No doubt they would outrun you and you would tire far more quicker than they would!

BUT, you have to remember that if you get a pup, you'll be looking at 2 years before the dog can accompany on you for longer runs. You could probably start doing shorter runs DEPENDING ON THE BREED (and the state of their joints) when the dog was 1 year of age, but I wouldn't do anything strenous until the dog was 2 years. So, if you prefer a dog sooner rather than later, a young rescue dog may be the way to go. I know there are a lot of working bred Springers, Labradors, etc., in rescue because they have too much energy and were given up beecause their owners couldn't handle them. With some slow conditioning, you could have a young adult rescue out running with you far sooner than waiting for a pup to mature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice