Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The perfect chicken house

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Melanie Morris, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Melanie Morris

Melanie Morris PetForums Newbie

We're looking for the perfect chicken house, to have chickens at home for the first time. Ideally I want one that is raised well off the ground, ie more than just a few inches, for ease of access to clean, etc, as I have a disc / back problem.

Also we want to attach a run that has "skirting" all round, to peg in (as sold by Omlet for Eglus) as the ground is uneven and we have foxes and badgers that could dig under regular runs that have no "skirt" around the bottom edge. Our chickens will also be able to free range outside the run when I am around.

I love the Omlet runs and cages, but don't think you can connect / attach these to a traditional wooden coop - would have to totally surround the coop which would be v costly.

Any tips on houses and attachable runs please! Have checked out Omlet, The Chicken Coop co and one or two others so far.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM PetForums VIP

If bending over to clean the coop is an issue, you might want to consider converting a small wooden shed or playhouse so that your whole setup is walk-in. You can buy aviary panels that you could use to build an attached run, and a roll of chicken wire could be stapled on and pegged in to make a skirt. Of course, a project like this does require a certain amount of DIY skills!

Melanie Morris likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice