Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"The Paw"...pictures

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Nellybelly, May 30, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

This is 3 weeks after the onset of this problem, but I only thought to start a photo diary yesterday.

Yesterday at it's worst point actually, improved even more towards the evening.
    [​IMG]

And then today, looking much worse than it did yesterday.
    [​IMG]

So having seen the photos...what do think? Foreign body in there?

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

YEP!! I would bet my life savings on that being a grass seed high up into the digital canal between the toes! Have they not tried knocking him out and investigating with crocodile forceps to get the little b****r out??

Poor little mite, they can be so sore for them! :eek: :(

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

We've done crocodile forceps 3 times!
    Under local anaesthetic as Belal is so coopertive. The vet felt around and said there was no sign of a fistula so the grass seed should be there where the forceps can reach (which is why we tried this 3 times!!! with no success!). Tomorrow she is going under GA, and the vet will make an incision into the paw in an attempt to find the foriegn object!

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Blimey! Bless her! I bet tomorrow the incision will help them to locate it and remove it ending the trouble! Good luck. X X
    I know these things are so awkward to get out sometimes and it can be the tiniest little bit that can cause that reaction in the foot too. :(

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

That' what the vet has said. It's probably the tiniest thing but just wont let the foot heal. She has been on antibiotics for 3 weeks now, so I'm keen to get it sorted, so we can stop antibiotics eventually.

6. leashedForLife

hey, nb! :--)
    ask the vet if she can have *probiotics* even now, while shes on the meds -
    anti-biotics kill the friendly gut-flora, which not only are a big chunk of the immune system, but are vital to good digestion
    and proper absorption. ;)

if she can have probiotics now, rather than PILL her with a capsule, pull it open carefully and mix it with a small amount of liquid,
    or semi-liquid; ideally organic yogurt with at least 5 species of critters, but some antibiotics don;t go along with DAIRY -
    be sure to ask the vet if live-culture yogurt is OK (even lactose-intolerant dogs can often have yogurt, as the critters pre-digest
    the lactose for them).

re the probiotics, look for MANDATORY * REFRIGERATION - the others are shelf-stable, but have far fewer critters
    per capsule - Udos Choice is a very high-quality human-grade brand, with literally *Billions* per cap, in their hi-potency.
    i have used them, my clients have used them, my elderly-mum and my pets, too - good stuff, IMO. :thumbup:

poor pup, i hope she is all better ASAP,
    --- terry

7. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Could it be harvest mites???

8. rona

rona Guest

That's got to be sorted hasn't it? :(

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks, she is on injectable antibiotics as she doesnt take at all well to oral ones...so we're doing fine on the tummy aspect of things!

10. leashedForLife

i am guessing she does not like being pilled? :huh: nonetheless, the antibiotics are systemic, hun -
    her GI tract will still be affected.

Edited to add:
    Probiotics: The New Antibiotics? | Jigsaw Health

WHC - ANTIBIOTICS KILL YOUR BODY'S GOOD BACTERIA CAUSING DISEASE
    cheers,
    --- terry

#10 leashedForLife, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Oh no, she is perfet patient. The easiet dog to give pills to. She just gets really bad diarhhea on pill antibiotics...but nothing to do with behaviour she is sooo good:)

12. leashedForLife

ah, gotcha! ;) thanks for that...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice