Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the NFL / Nat'l Football League once more shows their utter carelessness

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by leashedForLife, Mar 2, 2017.

1. leashedForLife

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/us-...minnesota-bird-killing-machine-death-trap-nfl
    in a single TWO HOUR monitoring period, with volunteers searching for victims, there were 60 dead birds - plus 14 others stunned, unconscious - some of the stunned birds may need care, IMO / IME, as they may have concussions but can't be evaluated until they come to, & there can be other injuries: internal to soft tissue, ruptured air-sacs & the like, or fractured wings, legs, feet... Perching birds need functional toes to perch & sleep safely.

Among the birds who died were
    21 white-throated sparrows, 9 ruby-throated hummingbirds, & 1 snow bunting - a very rare transient. :( They don't identify the other 29 dead, nor list the species & numbers who were knocked out / possibly injured / may have died since.
    Estimates are that a minimum of 500 migratory songbirds will be killed annually by this pretty monstrosity - & it's nauseating to consider that the team / owner / NFL admin, all KNEW * IN * ADVANCE that this expanse of glass would kill many birds, & went ahead with the design, in that knowledge.
    Having built the *$#%@*! thing, U know dam*ed well they won't take it down. It will go on killing birds as long as it stands. Barstewards. :Rage

2. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

That is terrible. They need to stick life size silhouettes of birds of prey on the glass at regular intervals to stop the birds thinking its part of the sky. I did it here after a couple of birds stunned themselves on my window in the sun lounge & mine is nowhere as big as that stadium.

leashedForLife likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Poor birds. I doubt it will take long before birds of prey and other predators catch on to the stunned and dying birds on the ground.
    Last year a sparrowhawk caught on that if it rushed through the garden scaring the birds on the feeders there was a high likelihood of one of them flying in fright into the patio doors. They dont do it very often as they spot the stickers on the doors in time, but when frightened by the sudden appearance of the hawk, they tend to scatter irrationally in all directions. The sparrowhawk would then turn and come back round again and grab the poor little bird flapping about on the patio usually before I could leap to my feet and rescue the little bird on time. She did it too many times for it to be coincidental.

So with all the outfall from the mirror buildings being taken away by predators I daresy the building owners will say that it's not a problem as the birds have learned to avoid it:rolleyes:

4. leashedForLife

"...oh, but we didn't know!"... - hunh. Codswallop.
    They were warned that this would happen when the building was only a design on paper, & they carried on regardless 'cuz they didn't give a dam*.
    Now that it's an actual structure, they still don't give a dam*. After all, it's only a few birds... And the stadium looks so good on TV!
    Ar$ewipes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice