UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Swamprat
12,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done this way too many times, but it's just that important and with the new members and new format I figured it's about time for another nail thread.

One of the best things we can do for our dog's overall health and comfort long-term is get them comfortable having their paws handled and nails trimmed and keep them trimmed throughout the dog's life.
At this point I have taught more dogs than I can count - who weren't taught as puppies, to be comfortable with paw handling and nail trims. Even if your young dog wears their nails down naturally, at some point that young dog is going to be an old dog who's less active and who's going to need attention to his/her feet.
Old dogs in particular really benefit from good nail care.

Susan Garrett explains it well:

So yes, you should learn to cut/trim/grind your dog's nails and you should keep them short enough that they don't touch the floor when the dog is standing normally.

This is the help, questions and suggestions thread :)

This is Penny
When I first caught her:
Cloud Plant Sky Vertebrate Dog breed

And sitting in my lap. Notice even on my squishy thighs, her nails aren't even touching. (Ignore the bug bites on my leg.)
Joint Skin Shoulder Scar Jaw

How do you do keeping your dogs nails trimmed?

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
Quite badly atm, if I'm totally honest. I caught Honey's hair in the grinder last time I tried, and I've lost confidence (and no doubt so has she) since. That was a couple of weeks ago. I've really got to get back on that particular bike.

·
Swamprat
12,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a trick with pantyhose or tights, pull the stocking over the dog's foot and push the nails through, you get all nail and no hair. Have you tried that?
Alternately, depending on how long her paw hair is, you could trim that and then do the nails.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
I'm doing badly too, I'm trying to get Bungo to use a scratch board, he is enthusiastic with one paw, but hardly uses the other, when I try to encourage him to use the other paw he just gets frustrated.

Reactions: LinznMilly

·
Swamprat
12,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think Bungo would go for a nail grinder? Is there a groomer you trust who has one to try out with him?
A lot of times dogs who adamantly hate having their nails clipped are much more tolerant of the nail grinder. And with smaller dogs it takes no time at all.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
After my dremel kicked the bucket, I got a cheap little pet nail grinder on amazon, a Pecute I think. It's a lot more gentle and quiet than the dremel, but it does a really good job! It has a little light as well.
I did Charlie's nails the first day he came home, and now we try to do them at least once a week.
I'm haunted that I could never get Danny's nails as short as I wanted, so I'm determined that Charlie will always have neat nails.

We use puppy paste from Pests at Home to keep him occupied while I file them :)

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
There's a trick with pantyhose or tights, pull the stocking over the dog's foot and push the nails through, you get all nail and no hair. Have you tried that?
Alternately, depending on how long her paw hair is, you could trim that and then do the nails.
I think I did try that once, but Honey screamed blue murder. And trimming her paw hair is as bad as doing her nails. You’d think I was torturing her. :rolleyes: She just fights it all the way.

• Sad
Reactions: O2.0

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Work in progress here! I can handle his feet. And touch his nails with the dremel for a short period. But he won't let me hold his foot AND use the dremel at the same time 😅

·
Grand Empress of the Universe
9,884 Posts
Ahhhhh you caught me! I've been lax with this but it's on my to-do list. Did Fly's front ones this morning actually, I only cut them so will need to get the grinder on them in a couple of days to tidy them up. His back ones aren't as bad so I can probably just grind them. Nooka's were done a couple of weeks ago but again need doing as I've not been keeping up with them, and Bronte's are in desperate need of doing! I've not got him used to the grinder yet as it's a scary monster apparently, but he's got big thick black nails so I'm not so worried about that as it would only be to tidy them up.

·
Swamprat
12,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always go through phases of being lax about nails and then I kick myself for not having stayed on top of them. I remember one winter I let Bates' nails get too long and got them back to where they should be and felt so awful when I saw the renewed spring in his step. Penny spends too much time on my lap for me to let nails slide - I hope!

·
Grand Empress of the Universe
9,884 Posts
I always go through phases of being lax about nails and then I kick myself for not having stayed on top of them. I remember one winter I let Bates' nails get too long and got them back to where they should be and felt so awful when I saw the renewed spring in his step. Penny spends too much time on my lap for me to let nails slide - I hope!
Yes over lockdown I did really well keeping up with nails (didn't have much else to do I suppose lol). I hate it when I look and they are too long. I need an extra pair of hands too for Bronte - he doesn't want to stay still at the best of times! And for Nooka's back ones it's 100x easier to have someone feeding her while I just concentrate on the clipping part. Hers grow quite quickly which in one hand is annoying, but on the other hand means you just get that thin hook of nail rather than a slow growth of thick nail which is way harder to work back.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I used to be really on top of my previous 3's nails but Ritter just wont tolerate being handled. I have a huge job even trying to dry his paws, let alone trim his nails. The only way I can handstrip him is with the help of another person dispensing squeezy cheese and getting somebody to help me is tricky.

He was used to having his nails clipped by the breeder but I've not managed to do them. I bought clippers but have zero confidence with them. I tried the Dremel but he wouldn't let me near him.

So currently they are long and sharp. We're going to see his breeder tomorrow so I'm hoping she'll be disgusted enough by them to attempt them herself!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I struggle to keep on top of Tilly’s even though I do them at least twice a month.
They seem to grow ridiculously fast and possibly I don’t take as much off as I could.
I do need someone to give food just so she stays still so think I’d do it more often if I could do it solo, luckily she doesn’t care about her feet being handled or anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had my puppy for about 2 months now, I trimmed her nails a couple of days after I got her and trimming them was a breeze, she remained calm and still. Tried trimming them a few days later again just so she would get into the routine of nail trimming and it has been a struggle ever since. She kicks her legs all over the place and chews on the trimmer thinking it's some kind of game. Anyway I can get her to settle down? I tried distracting her with something else to chew on but as soon as she sees the trimmer she drops what she has and want to chew on the trimmer.

·
Swamprat
12,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Leanne77 Good luck hopefully your breeder will have some tips!
@Arny I do Penny's nails once a week. Sometimes I'm just smoothing them out, not really taking any off, but it helps keep me in a routine. When I'm taking length off, I do it every other day or every 2 days.
Most dogs grow nails much faster than we realize. My own nails I have to cut about once a week. (I prefer mine short too :D)

I've had my puppy for about 2 months now, I trimmed her nails a couple of days after I got her and trimming them was a breeze, she remained calm and still. Tried trimming them a few days later again just so she would get into the routine of nail trimming and it has been a struggle ever since. She kicks her legs all over the place and chews on the trimmer thinking it's some kind of game. Anyway I can get her to settle down? I tried distracting her with something else to chew on but as soon as she sees the trimmer she drops what she has and want to chew on the trimmer.
Check out the link in the first post, at the bottom of the blog there are more links for ways of getting your pup used to the trimmer.
If you're in a puppy class, most of the better puppy classes will have a grooming and handling component to them too.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Do you think Bungo would go for a nail grinder? Is there a groomer you trust who has one to try out with him?
A lot of times dogs who adamantly hate having their nails clipped are much more tolerant of the nail grinder. And with smaller dogs it takes no time at all.
Having heard about the nail grinder on here a few years back, I got the one @Gemmaa mentions in her post below, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't seem to work for me.
Bungo seems fine with it so if I can sort out my technique then it should work.

After my dremel kicked the bucket, I got a cheap little pet nail grinder on amazon, a Pecute I think. It's a lot more gentle and quiet than the dremel, but it does a really good job! It has a little light as well.
I did Charlie's nails the first day he came home, and now we try to do them at least once a week.
I'm haunted that I could never get Danny's nails as short as I wanted, so I'm determined that Charlie will always have neat nails.

We use puppy paste from Pests at Home to keep him occupied while I file them :)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
@Arny I do Penny's nails once a week. Sometimes I'm just smoothing them out, not really taking any off, but it helps keep me in a routine. When I'm taking length off, I do it every other day or every 2 days.
They looked great not long ago as I concentrated on doing a foot each day and then I had a break and bam, didn't look like I'd ever done anything!
I'll try and do it at least once a week.
I watch Tilly walking a lot as she has mobility problems and she walks set back on the front pads so they don't really get any natural wear either.

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
They looked great not long ago as I concentrated on doing a foot each day and then I had a break and bam, didn't look like I'd ever done anything!
I'll try and do it at least once a week.
I watch Tilly walking a lot as she has mobility problems and she walks set back on the front pads so they don't really get any natural wear either.
Maybe that’s what I need to do. And perhaps keep the sessions shorter too.

I’ve managed to grind Milly’s front nails, and maybe one nail on one of her back feet.

Honey; I managed to do 2 nails on one fore paw before she really started kicking off, to the point of getting a scratch for my troubles.

I wish they could understand English. Sitting with Honey held like a baby in my arms, thrashing madly and I’m saying “if you’d just keep still, it would have been all over by now”.

Reactions: O2.0

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’m so glad to see this thread! I’ve been working hard on conditioning my two with the dremel and it’s not a big deal at all now, they’re both perfectly happy with it. However I really struggle with knowing how far to go back. I usually do it every week but left it two weeks this time and both dogs nails were overgrown.

Here are Bumbles, I’d appreciate any comments on if I need to go back more. I’ll be doing Brambles tomorrow, hers are much thicker so take longer and the dremel needs charging (I think it’s the first time since I’ve bought it that it’s ran out of battery 😂)
Brown Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Textile Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

1 - 20 of 63 Posts