Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The most dreaded night of the year for pet owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DT, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Eddies not usually too bad unless they are particularly loud ones. Ive just got back from a nice tiring early walk with him as wanted to get him tired out before they started.

Thoughts go out to all those in for a long night. At least we are all in it together and have here to vent and let it out throughout the night xxx

2. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

and so it begins. It's going to be a long night.

3. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

Fireworks have started near us. Daisy barked at first few but seems to be settling down, she went out for a pee and some of those awful screamer fireworks were going off but she didn't seem bothered. Trying to keep her distracted with play and general in-house noise! This is her first fireworks night so not sure what to expect!

Off to my parents tomorrow and they are having a fireworks display on Friday night, but it's in a field some way from the house so hopefully Daisy won't really be able to hear. Although as I've written this two big ones have gone off and she's not batted an eyelid so fingers crossed!

4. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills PetForums VIP

We live very near to Thorpe Park so get them!

5. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

Theyve started here again 6th night in a row and zeldas a shaking wreck.

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I don't think any of mine have ever heard them - we don't get any around our way. Wish I could invite all the scared PF pets here! :(

7. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

Started again here :( boys (human) are clanging in the gym, so boys (canine) and me are watching doggy programmes in tbe living room. So far, the dogs on screen have more appeal than the fireworks :)

8. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Well one lot went off out the front , Enzo was too busy eating dinner to notice , 2nd lot went off , rockets over our garden .... his just stopped shaking 10 minutes later :(

9. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Io is fine, but Bear is in a dark room to hide, hes already been sick once :(

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Poor Bear :( Perhaps turn the lights on to cover up any firework flashes?

11. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Atm he is at the front of the house and they're at the back of the house, oh god they're loads going off!!!!

Io isn't fazed at least, shes too busy eating a bone.

12. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

We've stayed in the house despite being a short distance from the big display in Cambridge, there's no guarantee it's going to be any quieter over my parents or anywhere plus Molly likes to snuggle on the sofa and sleep in the evenings. I hope I've done the right thing, she's been okay so far, the odd look but no barking or other reactions.

But it appalls me that there isn't better control over fireworks, in any other circumstance an over 18 in charge of a lit object would be arrestable but because it's a celebration of a probably mythical arsonist, it's okay. Is there some sort of sale of extra brain cells at the firework counter that I have missed?

13. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I'm really lucky Millie doesn't mind them.

Just in from a walk and spent 20mins in the park sitting on a bench whilst she watched them with her head tilted on the side. When the first one went off she looked up to hubby bless her.

I do though know how upsetting it is having a dog which is scared of something from Millie's car issue when she first came to us.

Hope the night passes peacefully for most this evening.

14. horsy

horsy PetForums Junior

My boy hates them, but with alot of work he has improved. If he's eating he's fine, so rescue remedy and thundershirt on, filling his treat log with stuff. Gonna make a Kong up shortly, and playing "find it" games around the house with a couple of chocolate drops. Waiting till it gets really bad about 8-9pm, gonna put on some music and hoover the entire house, that should drown it out. He doesn't shake, he just barks and races around the house, and he's not exactly got a quiet bark :( it's louder than the bloody fireworks!

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

There are loads of fireworks going off every side of our house, were under attack from all angles!

I was outback with my bonfire (no fireworks) and all I could hear was Topp barlking high pitch, so I took him out the front room (lights on curtains drawn and tv on load) and put him in my sons bed room (he ws playing games) and hoped he would be ok with my Son, but no, he was still in a massive panic so it seemed!

So I decided to just let him outside...... he ran round the garden tail wagging and sniffing everything. A few times he ran to me for some reasurrance so I gave him a quick fuss and carried on tending to my bonfire (which has some tasty jacket tatties on it cooking mmmmm).
    With my bonfire going and hundreds of both quiet and loud fireworks, close and afar, I thought he would be terrified, but he was better off outside with me than inside without me.
    We have just come in for a break and Toppa is fast asleep with legs in the air on the sofa. I bet if I leave him inside while I go to tend fire he will be in hysterics again so his coming with me.

Would seem there is no better cure for Toppa than simply being next to me :eek: makes me feel wanted :D but he better not try this on when fireworks are not going off :p

16. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I think I may suffer more, my husband thinks that Status Quo is the best thing to drown out the fireworks... save me.

17. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

We are getting off lightly this year, hardly heard a peep so far! Usually the neighbours have a few on the night, maybe they are all going to be going off at the weekend.

18. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

Teal just thought the shoot is going on so I let him outside he then looked p****d off and went into his crate.

Me and Dylan watched them.

Stuff going off now; mine are asleep.

19. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

As it's Axel's first firework night I thought I'd go let him pee before we get stuck in the flat. As soon as he started peeing someone on a parallel street to ours let off one of those rubbish fireworks that don't look nice just make a whistling noise and then a loud bomb-like bang :mad:: Obviously Axel got scared, stopped peeing and tried running away while barking... I tried reassuring him but he kept barking and then turned to rush home so I just took him home. At home I tried distracting him with some treats but it didn't work. He went into his crate and curled up in the far corner and just stared at his chewy treat. It was so sad because he NEVER says no to a treat :crying: So I just went around the flat doing my stuff, cooking and he joined me in the kitchen. I'm glad he didn't try to hide or anything, but it was still sad to see him get so scared outside :001_unsure: He is now sleeping on the couch next to me...
    [​IMG]

#39 shadowmare, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  20. shinra

shinra PetForums Member

aww bless him shadowmare, what a cutie!

I've never had any pets that even blink an eyelid at fireworks so can't quite appreciate how stressful it is, but its horrible to hear how stressed they get :( not a fan of them myself either!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice