Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The more I know the more I don't know!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Mar 26, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

When I got McKenzie I thought I was pretty clued up about raising a puppy. I did it before with my dad and that dog turned out perfectly. I still took her McKenzie to puppy class, but basically, I knew what I was doing.

When McKenzie was 5 months old I decided that crating was actually a very good idea and now I'd never be without a crate.

Now she is 7 months and becoming a bit more challenging I'm thinking a clicker actually sounds like a very good idea!

So maybe I didn't know as much about raising a puppy as I thought I did! :p

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

its a never ending learning experience.

no-one will ever know it all :)

3. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I'm sure that is the case with most things!:blink::confused:

Being new to dogs completely I am having a fairly easy ride so far, but then i did with my kids to start with, but boy am i having a bit of trouble now, so am sure that the same will apply with the dogs at some point!

We have had a lot of success with the clicker so it is worth a try, and we are introducing our 11month old to it as well, a new concept from her previous training, and she is responding well.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It just sounds as if you are a responsible owner who is always open to new ideas to me :)

5. Jojo35

Jojo35 PetForums Junior

I'm with you on that one ! Maybe we think too much about it and try and read too much into what is normal puppy behaviour.

I would never have been without a crate either and Layla still sleeps in hers at night, but when she turned 8 months I started leaving her in the kitchen when I go out. Fingers crossed she has been good so far !

6. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

But you ARE the very proud owner of a very lovely Kenzie :D

Em
    xx

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Clicker is on it's way now!

This puppy stuff is definitely a learning experience, that's for sure!

Both my mum and my dad will be getting puppies in the not-too-distant future so maybe I can share some of my new-found knowledge with them! :D

You're right Em, I don't have just any dog, I have a Kenzie :D

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I've told you! You don't even have a westie - you have a Kenzie :eek: :thumbup:

I saw one this morning I was all 'Bumby! Look! There's Kenzie' :rolleyes:

Em
    xx

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I feel like that in certain aspects, but I admit I've never felt the need to crate or use a clcker. I am very open to new ideas should the need arise... but been lucky that wth both Nelson and Bella not had any issues:)

10. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

The minute you think you know it all your dog will prove to you that you dont LOL How boring would it be living with a perfect dog:D

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Love it! :D

12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

It's getting really embarrassing :lol:

Someones going to come up to me and whisper 'she's a westie' and then I'll have to explain :yikes:

Em
    xx

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have bought Dillon up the same as Amber the basic training, sit ect... and to start with he was willing and did everything without problem. So we thought we had cracked it.

Ohhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooo no one told me about about teenage boys from 10 months and over, I sometimes feel like sitting down pulling my hair out and crying.:cryin: :cryin:

14. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

I've had dogs for the last 12 years and still feel totally new to it all.

I think being open minded is a good thing and dogs are like people, no 2 are the same! :)

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

My lot still manage to pull the odd trick or two from up their furry sleeves after all these years, so dont worry your not alone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice