Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Mekuti has arrived

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sue&harvey, May 12, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Well it's here. No problems with putting it on him, but the lead bit is confusing the hell out of me. I wish I had ordered the small now as it is a tiny bit looser than I would like but hopefully he will fatten up a bit, as he is very lean. I haven't tried it out side yet but will do later. Any tips on the 2 handed walking bit?:confused: and what end of the lead goes through the chest ring, the bigger clip or the smaller clip?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

Attach one end of the double-ended lead (with the largest clip) to the D-Ring on the back of the harness. Then thread the other smaller clip down through the chest ring at the front. Attach the lead to the ring on the side of the harness and you are ready to start.

3. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

If you walk your dog on the left of you:

attach one clip (large one? mine are the same size), to the ring closest to the tail end of the dog (D ring), you hold that side of the leash in your left hand. The other hand of the leash (smaller clip), goes through the chest ring (from out in) and attach the clip to the opposite side you are on, so on the side ring on the dog's left hand side, you hold this part of the lead in your right hand (note: make sure both you and doggy face same direction so you don't mix left and right, it happens :D).

Start facing same direction and the dog is parallel to you and at heel position, can't remember the mekuti guidelines from here as it was ages ago. It is not very comfortable at first (at least if you have a medium dog..) and you are likely to tangle a little, just stop and start again.
    You start walking and give a gentle nudge with one end the leash, I would think the right, the sec the dog passes your knee you need to apply the correction, a gentle nudge on each hand and then you swap order, so left/right nudge, right/left nudge... it is not about correcting, it's about confusing the dog :). Pulling is pushing against the collar or harness by nudging the dog has nothing to balance his pushing against. You swap so he cannot predict where he is going to have to lean on and will have to rely to himself for balance. If he stops pulling and starts looking at you then the whole thing is working :) He relies on you now.

In my case the dog got it straight away, the human, well... took a few attempts :lol: Nowadays I hold both end of the lead in one hand and we have no issues.

Very importantly, at first you must keep the dog to heel, corrections are effective in throwing his balance if applied as soon as he is just past your knee, if you wait to long the correction is too late and you are pulling him back, now he has something to lean on :)

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi, thanks for that, I will have a go this evening. Good thing was he didn't do what others said and just lay down! I agree with what someone said before... Mekuti should make a video on how to use it!!!! May have a look on U tube. Thanks again :)

5. CuteRotts

CuteRotts Em x (owned by Edith, Billy & Norman)

Can these things be used if you're walking 2 dogs then? Was going to get one of these for my ddb, but i also walk my ess at the same time - can this be done?
    Thanks

Em x

6. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

7. CuteRotts

CuteRotts Em x (owned by Edith, Billy & Norman)

I've ordered one and will give it a go. It looks a comfy harness and she's growing out of her old one now anyways.

Thanks

Em x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice