Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Marie Celeste Feeling

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bisbow, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

This village is like the Marie Celeste since lockdown started
    No sound of children playing in the rec
    Hardly any traffic on the bye pass
    OH took Chilli for a walk and did not see or hear another soul
    It is dark and dreary without a breath of wind
    It feels like OH, Chilli and I are the only people here
    Very eerie and odd and very, very quiet

rona and Magyarmum like this.
  2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Literally nothing's changed here, still loads of traffic & people doing shopping

HarlequinCat likes this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Not many people out around here, nearly all cars are still on the drives, no children around very quiet.

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

It's always very quiet here on Sundays, but it seems even quieter than normal today.
    The village is covered in mist, not a sound, no children, no birds, not even a dog barking, it's like someone has hit mute and turned off all sound.
    Lockdown only began on Thursday, yet it feels like its been going on a lot longer, maybe its the weather, it's really creepy and feels like the days are really dragging this time which is so strange.

Edit to add: Spoke to soon, just as it got dark the fireworks started again, on Remembrance Sunday of all days! :mad:

#4 ForestWomble, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    LinznMilly and Bisbow like this.
  5. pinklizzy

pinklizzy PetForums Senior

Very strange day here, so foggy and was out for an hour with the dogs in town-only saw two cars and no people. We're almost at the end of the current firebreak here and it has been very quiet for the whole 17 days.

LinznMilly likes this.
  6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They've all come to Surrey!

I have never seen it so busy in the Surrey Hills. Every car park i saw was overflowing. No one was adhering to the rule of only meeting one other person for exercise.

Absolute chaos.

kimthecat likes this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Same down the road in Sussex.........Roads crammed, car parking areas full, even gateways :rolleyes: and people everywhere

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Same as usual, kids playing football at the park , people walking dogs. fireworks. :mad:

rona likes this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Very quiet here, I haven’t been out as it’s been a miserable day and mow very foggy. OH said he didn’t see anyone when walking Isla

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Need some heavy rain!

Its the attitude of so many people too - they just insist on walking in the middle of a path and make zero effort to move.

Dont get me started on the screaming kids and yappy dogs. Two areas were wall to wall mountain bikers, the other one was people who have clearly never been outside before.

LinznMilly and DanWalkersmum like this.
  11. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Senior

They didn't get the memo in Hertfordshire either :(

Carparks all full, drove past some woods and I've never seen it so busy there, lots of people out in groups. Drove through town again very busy, busier than a normal Sunday.

It was a lovely day here, so I get people wanting to get out, but social distancing didn't appear to be happening.

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Was out with someone very obviously vulnerable yesterday, and still they wouldn't distance :mad:

13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We didn’t go out today other than walking Jack and saw a few people out walking and cycling but lots of space to keep apart.

15. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

My little part of Essex didn’t get the memo either.
    My little town was packed.
    This afternoon I just wanted a quiet walk so I took Lady round the local park, thinking it would be empty.
    I’m very vulnerable (Since March I’ve been admitted into hospital twice, have recently been diagnosed with a lung disease, as I’ve never smoked or drank they thought I had pulmonary hypertension, I’m on oxygen therapy & steroids to heal my lungs, having tests after tests), yet everyone around me are getting too close, not wearing masks, meeting in big groups, not social distancing.
    They can see I’m carrying an oxygen canister yet still they walk next to each other, won’t walk in single file while they pass me, won’t keep to one side. It’s driving me crazy :mad: :mad:
    I’m doing all I can to stay safe, just going out to walk Lady, popping into my local shop at NHS/ vulnerable hour, buying online when I can, not meeting friends or family.
    You wouldn’t think we were in a middle of a pandemic & lockdown. I get so angry :mad:

Edit to add..... rant over :oops:

Magyarmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Same here! The local country park was very busy yesterday and today with bikes and families out - enjoying the fog:rolleyes:, with little regard for social distancing, and these are nice wide paths. It's unusually busy with people just milling about and also quite a few dogs off lead and random cyclists. It was so busy that it was not a relaxing walk at all, hopefully it's going to be only at weekends. There's also not been much of a reduction in traffic

17. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Add some fog and a lone dog barking somewhere in the dark and otherwise silent streets and our walk was like something from a ghost story. :Wideyed

18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We tend to avoid popular spots at the weekend anyway as they’re almost always busy then.

Tuesdays are usually quiet ;)

LittleMow likes this.
  19. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

We do too, but this park is not usually over busy at the weekend. We tend to go to NT during the week as it's a lot quieter then too. Maybe the outdoor spaces loved by dog walkers for so long are to be taken over by the masses now? As long as they take their litter home with them I'm ok with it ...I suppose:rolleyes:

20. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Went to addenbrookes today
    A14 as busy as ever, traffic jams and stop start driving, plus elephant racing, with no signals, all
    A11 same
    Road down to addenbrookes nose to tail

All this between 6.30 am and 7.45 am

Town is just normal,
    The only shops shut are charity, barbers/hairdressers, pubs and those cafes not doing takeaways
    Most of the others are using the click and collect loophole, even if they weren't click n collect, or even had a website before, or, pretending that, a trolley load of plants, equates to them being a garden centre
    So still a load of traffic on roads, manic school times and, of course, schools all kicking out at same time :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice