Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The legality of Blue lobsters...

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Chillinator, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I've seen that Blue lobsters are quite popular in the fishkeeping hobby, however I thought I would create a thread explaining that not all species are legal in the UK.

Before I go into any detail I would recommend that anyone considering buying one of these looks at the following articles...

Stuff you need to know about Blue lobsters | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

Blue lobster, Cherax quadricarinatus | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

As pointed out in the articles most species of 'Blue lobster' are banned in the UK due to the threat towards our own native species, Austropotamobius pallipes. Blue Crayfish do look alike however the following species are illegal in the UK:

Procambarus alleni, the American Blue Florida crayfish. Length approx 15cm/6".

Cherax tenuimanus from Australia. Length approx 40cm/16".

Cherax destructor from Australia. Length approx 20cm/8".

If you are keeping any of the above species then you risk a large fine and a criminal record. The only species of Blue Lobster that is legal in the UK is Cherax quadracinatus . Also banned are all species from the families Astacidae, Cambaridae and Parastacidae.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice