Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The latest project/rehab/member of the household

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hutch6, Apr 1, 2011.

1. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Got an email on Wednesday afternoon asking if I could help out with another rescue dog that was having aggression issues. I had worked with a dog for them that was human/dog aggressive I had managed to turn around so they asked if I could muck in with this one.

She's 7 month old, been permanently crated for 6.5month only being let out for a toilet break before being put back in away from the original; owner's children.

She then got rehomed (on Sunday) to a person who had competed in obedience, won numerous awards and trophies for their exploits and ran obedience classes.
    Tuesday night the new owner took the pup to an obedience class where the they said the pup "Kicked off big time and no matter what I did I couldn’t get her to calm down. Even when I took her to the car and got a rolled up newspaper out"

I picked the pup up on Wednesday night after agreeing to take it. A right bag of nerves was transferred into my car and home we went after being told "You have collies? Oh, she hates collies!!"

Arrived home and the pup came into the house. I opened the kitchen door slightly so the collies could get their noses out to have a sniff (I hadn’t been home yet and it was about 8pm. I expected a big snarl and snap from the pup but instead there was nothing. I opened the kitchen door a bit more and Kes (my rescue collie) shot through the door, sniffed the pup as he passed by and bundled himself into my legs for his usual greeting. Then came Dillon all smiling as he does. The pup pulled me through into the kitchen without so much as a look at the other two. I was then pulled around the house as the pup explored everywhere with a very obvious look of uncertainty.

After a quick 10mins explore all three dogs were bundled into the car and we headed for the moors.
    The collies took off sniffing, peeing and doing what dogs do best. The pup lunged on the lead to get to them so we followed on their tails.
    Kes came to check everything was ok in his trademark style and as he was leaving the pup went to explore his back end. As Kes has no hips he doesn’t like other dogs around his back end so he turned and snapped. The pup backed down.
    Dillon came to see what the carry on was about and he got a pup on his withers for his trouble. He too turned and snarled (doesn’t like being mounted in any way at all) the pup immediately back away behind my legs. We then proceeded to have a very enjoyable gentle walk for an hour where we came across a loose dog that was trying to own the whole moors. The pup stood facing it, froze to the spot and watched as the dog walked by. No lunge, no growl, no nothing.

We got home and everybody was fed with no aggression or sign of possessiveness. I went upstairs and grabbed by duvet and pillow and proceeded to make my bed on the sofa. I made the pup's bed in the big plastic dog bed with the blanket that came with the pup and pulled it next to the sofa.
    "In your bed" I gently offered. In the bed the pup went and laid straight down.
    Not a peep was made all night.
    I awoke around 3am to see the pup's bed completely empty. I sat up and noticed that the pup had settled right next to the sofa where it had dragged the blanket to and was laid with its head on Kes sound asleep. All was well.

The alarm went off and we all got up and ready for the morning walk. We headed up to the moors again but this time went left so we were on the golf course part of the moors. The usual excitement was flowing through the collies which transferred to the pup so they were all in high spirits.

We got to the part of the course which is the furthest away from the road and you can see a great distance to see if anything is approaching. Nothing. Not a soul was around. The pup was pulling every so often to get tot he collies to join in their frolics but when they would come to say hello and make sure I was ok there was no lunging or snapping for the pup at all.

"You just want to play don't you?" I took a deep breath and a large leap of faith. "Sit." Click went the lead from the collar. "Wait...........OK" WOOOOOMPH!! The pup was gone.

Making a beeline for Dillon was it's first priority. A quick play bounce and the game was on. The pup ran as fast as it could with Dillon easily keeping pace by its side. The excitement of having a play mate was too great for Dillon (Kes can’t run very far or fast due to his rubbish back end) so he barked. The pup stopped dead, put it's tail between it's legs and turned about face. Dillon backed again. This was the cue for the pup to start running back towards me with its tail firmly curled as far beneath it as it could and it's eyes rolled into the back of its head. This was a race for life in the pup's mind. They tore passed me and Kes and carried on going down the fairway, over the green, up over a hill and out of sight. This was a distance of about 500yds in no time at all.
    Great

I whistled Dillon and he trotted back over the hill. No pup. "Well I'd best ring work and let them know I am going to be incredibly late".

"Dillon. Sit. Stay. Kes. Stay" I left the dogs and started walking in the direction the pup had vanished. As I got to within 100yrds of the hill I saw two rather large ears begin to appear. These were closely followed by a head poking out of the bracken. I looked back to see Dillon and Kes laid down watching. As I returned my glance the pup was gone from the bracken. It was currently charging passed me towards the dogs. Like a guided missile it headed straight for Dillon. As it neared it's large tongue was unleashed from it's jaws and with well timed precision it slobbered Dillon from ear to nose down the side of his face as the pup raced passed him. Well that was it. Dillon was up chasing the pup, Kes was sat up watching the onslaught of exchanged slobbers and I was bent over laughing.
    For the next 30mins of the walk all three were puppies together with play bows, paws in the face, fast tight circling chases and generally a huge game of tig.
    Back home and all fed.

"The pup can be left no problem with other dogs during the day" was what I got told but I also got told the pup wanted to eat other dogs so I took the pup as a blank slate and said a prayer to Destructacus - The dog God of chewing and left for work.

I arrived home with a fast beating heart and after a deep breath I opened the door. Nothing stirred. Weird. Dillon normally welcomes me home with a bark or two but nothing. All the dogs had been involved to a fight to the death and had all bled to death on the patio, was my initial thought.
    I entered the kitchen the find that the pup was sleeping behind the kitchen door, Kes was asleep in his favourite spot under the dining table and Dillon was just coming round from a snooze on the big cushion in the lounge as I made my round to check for carnage. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, had been touched.

Quick cuppa and we were in the car again heading for the moors. We walked along the middle plateau and around the top before making our ascent to the trig point which over looks everything for about 20 miles. There was not a soul about again so the pup was unclipped and free to run with the collies.
    For the next hour there was a game of fetch going on with a tuft of moorland grass and so far (fingers crossed, touch wood, rub the rabbit's foot etc) there has been zero issues with the pup and the collies.

So, I present to you, the pup.

Her name is Lexie, she is a full German Shepherd unspayed bitch without a single bit of malice in her (except she thinks cat's are food items right now but that will change this weekend). I don’t care what the previous have done to her, how they have treated her or how badly they got her wrong, she is adorable, ultra fast at learning and is a real gem of a dog. She won’t be going anywhere I don't think so don’t expect to see her on the rescue sights again or if you do apply for her immediately as she is fabulous. Not even barked once yet which I find a miracle with her being a GSD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a video of her second time ever being allowed off lead so you can see what I mean about being a star dog ;) I'll try and get it uploaded.

#1 hutch6, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    xxsarahpopsxx likes this.
  2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

What a lovely story to read!

Well done you for taking on a 'problem' puppy.....must be a relief to realise that she isn't really!

hutch6 likes this.
  3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well done for taking her in :)
    She is lovely

hutch6 likes this.
  4. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

she is gorgeous. Sounds like a very misunderstood girl and good on you taking her on and realising what a lovely girl she is :D

hutch6 likes this.
  5. woody10

woody10 PetForums Senior

Great post - loved reading it ... just shows that dogs are a reflection of how they are treated by the people they are with.

Well done for giving him a home.

hutch6 likes this.
  6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Well done, am so pleased that she is now enjoying her life. Why some people get dogs is beyond me!

She is beautiful :D

hutch6 likes this.
  7. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Right, I'll give this a whirl.

This is Lexie yesterday on only her second time ever being off leash. Hope it works for you all.

Kes is the collie that stands and watches everything. Dillon is my fetching machine and Lexie is the big dopey, Bambi-on-ice thing :)

EDIT: Apologies for the sound, it was very windy :D :D :D

[​IMG]

#7 hutch6, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  8. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

What a joke, how could it have possibly been a problem pup if it was crated practically for its whole life (so far) ..

It wouldn`t have learnt anything about aggression and would have been desperate for contact, yet uncertain of how to get it.

The lady must have simply overwhelmed it at the obedience class... imagine, going from a 24/7 crate to open space,lots of dogs and a stranger demanding things from you... no wonder the poor pup kicked off... through nerves and fear no doubt.

Anyhow, Im glad this pup has landed in the right hands now :D well done you

9. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I have really enjoyed your post, it reads like a wonderful book, it is so inspiring and has filled me with joy for and on behalf of Lexie. She is beautiful and has shown you what a wonderful girl she can be given the chance. What a dreadful start she had and I am amazed that someone experienced in obedience gave up on her and even got a rolled up newspaper out - pity his/her other dogs!

You MUST MUST MUST keep her, she seems so happy with your other dogs and has obviously settled in so well, I'm sure she has sensed that she is in a safe home with someone who will give her guidance, love and a fabulous life.

Well done Hutch :thumbup: I applaud you!

10. bird

bird PetForums VIP

My thoughts exactly. Poor lamb. :(
    Hutch shes a beautiful little girl, and doesnt need rehoming, shes found her home right where she is. ;) She just looks so settled with you. :D

11. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

awww what a lovely story and how lucky the pup has you too.

Bet your tempted to keep her now though ;)

12. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

My thoughts exactly. Glad to see that Lexie has landed on her paws poor pup being crated all the time she is a gorgeous looking..

13. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I love reading stories like this.
    What a beautiful girl and well done to you for taking her in.

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Thats fantastic and what a beautiful girl she is.

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

She's gorgeous!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice