Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The last time

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Nov 3, 2012.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Alfie will ever do this walk.
    It's just too far for him now :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.5 miles with hills and rough ground is just too much. He's slept since we got home an will only be going on a short poo walk around the roads later

Luckily this walk is not too far away from home, so we will park a car half way in future to bring the old boy home :)

2. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

What a sweet, handsome lad!

Bless him. At least he can still do some of the walk :)

xxx

3. Bisbow

Bisbow PetForums VIP

Such a shame they have to get old isn't it.
    Hope he enjoyed it, he look good bless him. He will like his little poddles round I bet.
    Give him a cuddle from me and my old lady please

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Aww Bless him hes such a game lad and a joy. Always makes you smile does pictures of Alf.

5. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Our old dog used to run 5 miles at the waters edge on the beach. In her last year she couldn't manage a walk down the road. The day before she was PTS we drove to the beach, let her have a poddle and a paddle then carried her back to the car. She was so happy.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

What lovely photos; he certainly looks like he enjoyed it - although I feel sadness too at the significance of this thread. I'm pleased he'll still be able to do some of it though xx.

7. rona

Cuddle delivered :)

The last mile was a bit too much for him I think :eek:

After he had struggled back in the summer to do even a mile or so, I'm counting my blessings that the Tramadol has given us at least a few more months to enjoy our walks together :)
    I've just got to stop pushing him quite so far :eek: :eek:

8. Dumples

Dumples PetForums Junior

It's sad, isn't it, when they slow down. Our girl doesn't want the long hikes nowadays.

But I'm sure we feel the "loss" more than they do. He'll still enjoy his walks, wherever he goes.

He's a handsome lad, isn't he?

9. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

He's such a lovely lad, with such a zest for life. I'm glad the weather was nice for the last time he does the full walk at once. :) I love the pic of him taking the lead from Muddy lovely view and blue sky I won't mention the clouds :)

10. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

He does look like he enjoyed it though ;)

It must be so hard for both of you to accept, but using the car half way is a good compromise I think:)

11. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

What a lovely lad he is. So sad when they can`t carry on doing what they have always enjoyed, but at least he can do part of it. I doubt you are really pushing him to much Rona, my old Greyhound wanted to go out for her long walks right up until she died, bless her, her mind was all ready for it her body wasn`t. I worried she was over doing it but I think you have to be guided by them sometimes.

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Gorgeous pics as always, Alfie certainly has a way about him that just makes me smile :D - so pleased you were able to enjoy the whole walk together in the sunshine one last time.
    Times like this are so poingant :(
    Although I'm not sure if it's you pushing him or Alfie dragging you ;)
    Pleased that there is a half way point you can drive to and continue to enjoy the walk for as long as possible.

13. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Aw, at least he can still go for some of it though :)

I want Pippa to get old, my previous dog died at only aged 8, had so so much more life left in him (the most active 8 year old dog I have known).

Both dogs are stunning :)

14. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

If this is the last time Alfie does the whole walk the photos prove he has had fun and you have some wonderful memories of today..

Im sure that even with half the walk he will have fun and give you many more wonderful memories to store away.....

15. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Awe, its so hard isn't it, I remember the last 'long' walk I did with Rory, it was only a couple of miles with a friend and her two, we had to use Elsie to fetch him back when he trotted off down the wrong paths, cos he couldn't hear us call him sometimes. He really struggled with the 'hills' we get in Suffolk I remember, it is so nice to have that memory though, OH never got the chance to remember really he just did the mundane walks.

16. Shazach

Shazach PetForums VIP

Nice pics, he clearly looks happy and has enjoyed his walk.
    It's a good blessing to count that he's so much more agile than the summer, but I know that feeling of watching them age and counting the significant points - storing them up as treasures and memories.

He's a lucky boy to be so loved, and you're a lucky lady to have so much enjoyment in him too, even now when those moments have a tinge of bittersweetness. :eek:

17. rona

I did something very similar when I was about to lose my last Goldie :)

He is handsome, too handsome really, I don't think many would guess his age :D

No clouds in my world while we were out ;)

Oh he does tell me sometimes that he doesn't want to go too far :D
    I'm just a bit selfish and want to make sure that he can do a decent walk every single day, so clipping the occasional walk is my choice not his :)

What a lovely way to look at the aging of a dog, just wish I could feel like that when he's having a bad day :eek:

I've got an awful lot of proof of our fun together :) and many many lovely memories already stored :) Hoping for a lot more yet :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I think they will also add to my memories of MY BOY :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice