Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Lakelet

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by raysmyheart, Aug 15, 2019.

1. raysmyheart

raysmyheart PetForums Senior

As often as I am able, I like to stop to visit a small pond near me. It is a little lake that is connected to a series of larger lakes here. I am always amazed at the wonders I see at such a small pond.
    Yesterday, I saw lots of cattails & Purple Loosestrife in bloom and watched a heron stand completely still in the water for what seemed forever. (Heron seen at 8 o'clock in the photo).
    20190814_180006-1.jpg

Also, a late-Summer bloom of Milkweed and Goldenrod -
    20190814_175957.jpg

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The little ponds often have more wildlife and certainly more diverse than the bigger ponds :)

Unusual for a heron to stay, you must have been well hidden :D

kimthecat, Lurcherlad and raysmyheart like this.
  3. raysmyheart

I am finding this to be very true at this pond, ducks, geese, swans, heron, Red-winged Blackbirds, rabbits, deer, frogs, fish and a cormorant who perches upon a rock in the middle of the lakelet and never seems to move.:Pigeon:) All getting along for the most part in a relatively small body of water. It never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, I have spotted them many times, but they will instantly fly away when they sense me. Yesterday, I was "hidden" behind a patch of tall wildflowers and had a good spot for a photo. I thought the click of the camera would be a problem, but this beautiful bird remained still.

If anyone else visits or has visited a lake or pond, I would love to hear about what you have seen or photos you may have!:)

kimthecat and rona like this.
  4. rona

I often visit a disused brickyard which has a larger deep fishing lake of about 20 acres, so not a huge lake, it has a small island for nesting. This is where the swans, geese with a sprinkling of ducks and coots hang out
    It then has a more shallow lake of about 15 acres with reed beds, weed, and surrounded by willow, some of which has fallen into the water. On this lake you get many coots, ducks, herons and often a Kingfisher.
    In the butterfly area of rough grass, there is a scattering of small ponds. A couple of approx 1 acres each that have many small fish, house a couple of the geese and families at breeding time, along with the breeding frogs in the spring. This is also where most of the Dragonflies and Damsels hangout.
    Also in the rough grass area there are a couple of tiny ponds, only about 10ft wide and a couple of feet deep. They dry up in a hot summer. These host the majority of the Newt population, at least at mating time. I'm not good at Newt ID but I know the majority are Great Crested Newts.

This of course is surrounded by the afore-mentioned Rough grass area that hosts many many Butterflies, insects of all kinds, Lizards including slow worms, Grass snakes, voles and mice.

The whole lot is wrapped around by a small slither of woodland, and a stream on two sides. This is home to the multitude of small birds that frequent or live on site. It can also be visited in early spring for the scent of either wild garlic or Bluebells or the sight of small scattered bunches of Primroses.

There is a short section cut to allow the sun to glint through for the woodland butterflies and a boggy section that run down one whole side which on a wet autumn is host to the fungi on site.
    There's even a Badger sett near the Periphery of the site.
    In all it's a tiny site, just 60 acres in all, but it's so diverse

Can you tell I love it there? :oops:

5. raysmyheart

Yes, this is great! @rona . That's how I feel visiting the pond near me. Yours has a great array of animal Life. I myself have gotten attached to watching the Swans, ducks and geese raise their Families here and it is interesting to see their routine as they go through the Summer.
    I followed two Canada Geese families this Spring raise their young. 20190507_174022-1-1.jpg 20190529_181952-2-1.jpg 20190529_182010-2.jpg 20190604_161511.jpg 20190609_180356.jpg
    Not so little any more - 20190621_182444.jpg

kimthecat and rona like this.
  6. rona

Could you put some reptile refuges down? You may then see if there are any Slow worms, Grass snakes or possibly lizards that would rest on the top, though a few large pieces of wood would attract Lizards if they are there.
    Who owns the land or runs it?

Mine is the local Wildlife Trust

There's also these at the site
    https://insideecology.com/2018/01/23/invasive-non-native-species-uk-marsh-frog/

They don't seem to have had an impact on the local reptiles, so the trust is happy to let them co exist

#6 rona, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    raysmyheart likes this.
  7. rona

Went to mine today :)

Saw loads and have loads of pics ;)

raysmyheart likes this.
  8. raysmyheart

Thank you @rona . :) It is a good question who owns the land, I have been trying to determine this. I believe it is owned by the local water company here (but this pond I visit is not used for a water source). I should have mentioned that I am in the Northeast United States and not sure if I've posted in the wrong category.:Bag

I do love to visit this pond, however, and there are not any "Keep out" signs so many people taking walks on the street in this area will stop by the pond.

The Water Company also owns these lakes nearby which are all interconnected and there are many areas around this one (below) that cannot be accessed and many signs "not to trespass" as it is definitely a water source. 20190604_154400.jpg

Thank you so much for the link to the ecology site, it is very fascinating what I learned about the Marsh frog. I do love frogs and not sure which one I have photographed here - 20190717_175938.jpg taken at a small pond - Central Massachusetts, Northeast United States>> 20190602_181334.jpg It is part of a State-Run Park here.

We have had a scare with mosquito illness in the past few weeks, in Massachusetts so activities have to be curtailed after dusk or in the shady areas. I understand the threat will be over with the first hard frost.

I did just take these photos at the little lakelet. A relaxing Summer afternoon for some ducks. 20190829_175905.jpg 20190829_180451-1-1.jpg

Oh, I would be so glad to see these @rona or anyone who has photos or stories of their favorite local ponds or lakes they visit that they would like to share!!!:):Snaphappy:Happy

rona likes this.
  9. rona

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice