Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The importance of safety release clasps on collars

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Baby British, May 5, 2010.

1. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

Last week I discovered Marley had managed to get his front leg inside his elastocated collar offering no means of escape and digging painfully into his skin. Fortunately he is a house cat so I noticed it straight away and removed and binned said collar with no ill effect. The same thing happened to a cat belonging to a friend of mine but this wasn't noticed straight away and the poor cat almost lost the leg as a result.

I was just having a butchers at local animal resue websites and came accross the image featured on this page of another cat that again got a front leg trapped inside one of these collars

Many Tears Animal Rescue - Cats looking for homes

It seems to me that this is an all to common occurance resulting in serious injuries to the cat. This could so easily be avoided if the owners used safety release clasp collars.

My two are now wearing these collars

Kitty Rogz Alleycat collar for cats in 3 colours on eBay (end time 19-May-10 14:27:17 BST)

which feature a robust clip that will release with a 2kg weight/strain. There are loads of this type of collar on the market.

I'd never risk my two cats in an elastocated/ buckle collar again and I urge all feline owners out there to do the same ;)

Dally Banjo likes this.
  2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Great Info BB :)

I dont like collars on cats after the same sort of thing happend to one of ours years ago with a so called safety quick release one :( They are all house cats now but chiped :thumbup:

Some puppys have also been known to have the same problem when they have been left with the collar on unattented & have died :(

3. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

This is why my cat has safety ones as one of my old cats got caught in a hedge wearing a normal one.

4. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

my two had these beastie band collars and they are made of soft material and velcro. They also look cool, but they kept taking them off and since they are chipped I gave up...

Funky Felines - Beastie Band Cat Collars

5. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Same here, I managed to get one back from my next door neighbour and just keep it in my draw as a memory of Jez's kittenhood :)

Between both cats, we went through over 10 safety collars until we decided it was a losing battle and got em chipped.

That is one nasty wound! Made me cringe, poor soul :(

6. thenaughtyfairy

thenaughtyfairy PetForums Junior

I've got Kira's one as well. I don't know where Fizgig lost his, but her's turned up in the doorstep one day. She must have been playing with it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice