Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The hardest thing about breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by greyrockinghorse, Jun 22, 2010.

1. greyrockinghorse

greyrockinghorse PetForums Junior

:( This is the hardest thing about breeding, people are wanting to buy them:scared: I've had some interest in my pups, the little girl is sold to friends:D and someone is interested in 2 of the boys together. I'll be speaking to them this evening. It is such a worry that they go to the best people, i hope i like everyone but i will say if i feel they are not right. How do you deal with that situation?:confused1:

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Be as polite as you can, but Truthfull at the same time, tell them that you are a bit concerned about "What ever" and explaine why. If you feel they are not right for your baby then stand tight and say sorry but NO. You have help raise these babies and you want The Best for each one of them, you also want to say good bye to each one as they leave for their new homes knowing you have done your best for them and now have a good home to go to where you are NOT going to worry at all.
    Good Luck with them all.

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

It is hard and I have a waiting list to competition homes so being involved I know where most of my pups are going, but can only say be very thorough with your vetting.
    Do you mean one buyer wants two boys together? If so I would decline. I would never sell littermates toons home.

4. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I think deciding on the right homes is really hard - it would be so nice to keep them all. :)

I agree with Rocco that 2 pups to the same home would be a no from me. They are really hard work and carry a bigger possibility of one or both needing to be rehomed later on. They may come back to you, but it's possible that the new owners would do it without you knowing and then you never know where they end up.

I would consider it if I knew the owners really really well and knew that they could cope - but I would have to have known them for years. I kept two littermates and although they are fab, they are hard work.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find lovely homes for them. I love recieving pics of my pups. :thumbup:

5. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Yes I agree. All my girls have been booked and each owner has bee "veted" and passed. I felt really strange veting the people but they are my pups until they go to their new homes and same goes for you. I was told by someone with experience never to sell littermates to the 1 person as you will more than likely get 1 or both back as it is hard enough dealing with 1 never mind 2.

Good Luck and once again we are in the same boat!!!:)

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I just have to be honest, without being rude. Something along the lines of... I am going to be completely honest with you (even if you're not) and I really don't think your situation is quite ready for (BLANK [either a pup/ one of this breed]) as the time needed to devote to (pup or breed) is far greater tha I feel you can commit to at the moment. Or your not happy with young children etc.
    I have spoke to a huge amount of people interested in a pup from this litter and I just feel that they are in a more suited situation to have one of my pups and its nothing personal, at all, but I wouildn't feel comfortable in homing one with you just yet.

If they are appreciative of your comments then suggest if they are willing to wait you may consider them for a litter later on.

However if they get arsey, ring round every breeder within 70 miles and warn them lol :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice