Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Handmaid's Tale

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Elles, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Is anyone watching the adaptation on tv? I find it quite uncomfortable viewing, a bit too close for comfort. It seems to point out how vulnerable we actually are and a lot of what is portrayed does actually happen. It could be fact not fiction, a dystopian future that is now. Really good I think.

Cleo38 and picaresque like this.
  2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I read the book as a youngster and saw the fay dunaway film years ago
    I think it's an amazing story - a few steps is all it takes :(
    My daughter is watching the series and says it's a brilliant adaptation.

Elles likes this.
  3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I read it years ago when it seemed pure fiction. Now I can see many parallels and realities today. I doubt Atwood realised how realistic her story would come to be, but then maybe she did, given her research and that she calls it speculative fiction. She was involved in the making of the tv series. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to have had much attention, but maybe it has and I just missed it.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I found hard to watch... and I didn't like the cast.

Valanita likes this.
  5. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I had never heard of it until I noticed it being referenced in relation to everything going on now. Have just downloaded, so shall watch episode 1 tonight. Thanks!

Elles likes this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I've seen bits of it ,its incredibly good but I found it too depressing too watch .

Valanita and Elles like this.
  7. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

It is an excellent adaptation. The most recent episode on Sunday was particularly tense and terrifying - you could so easily imagine it happening and indeed everything Margaret Atwood wrote has happened to women at some time, somewhere.

Elles likes this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I first read the book when I was at college & loved it. Am really enjoying the series, I think they've done a really good job as so often I am disappointed in these.

Elles likes this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Never read the book so my opinions are based purely on the TV series, but I think it's brilliant! Really well done. I enjoyed it so much I binged watched all the episodes until I was caught up :)

Elles likes this.
  10. Biffo

Biffo PetForums Senior

I'm really enjoying the series. I read the book years ago, when I was a teenager and I hadn't experienced much of the world, so it all seemed very far fetched. I've started re reading it tonight, and am finding it so much more relevant now.

Elles likes this.
  11. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I just finished the first episode. Very intense but excellent! Much looking forward to seeing episode 2 tomorrow. Really want to read the book now as well

Elles likes this.
  12. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

This Daily Mail review though

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...HER-STEVENS-reviews-Loch-Handmaid-s-Tale.html

I think it's gone over his head. But if he finds slavery, rape and FGM titillating who am I to judge.

Elles and MiffyMoo like this.
  13. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Elles and picaresque like this.
  14. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I note that they only printed 2 comments and locked it. What an idiot of a reviewer, hasn't got a clue.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  15. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Just watched episodes 2 and 3 back to back, and it just gets better! I really like that they're now filling in the gaps as to how it all started.

Did I miss the explanation as to why only the handmaids are fertile, or is that to come?

Elles likes this.
  16. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I know what's happening and why, but I know the story which means I could have filled in gaps with prior knowledge, rather than what's been portrayed in the show yet. I don't think it's one of those series where everything is made really clear from the get go, a lot is just hinted at. I expect more will be revealed. The series is bringing different issues and characters to the forefront than the book did, so I'm waiting to see too. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I am too in an uncomfortable sort of way. It's very well portrayed.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  17. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

The contaminated environment has caused a big drop in birth rates/live births. The women who are fertile I think is just down to chance and of course they are the ones who are made to procreate for the elite.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  18. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I just downloaded the book. Now I have to stop myself reading it until the series has finished

19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Just finished the season finale and what a fantastic episode! Emotional though ( I was in tears towards the end ) But I won't say no more ;)

MiffyMoo likes this.
  20. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

No don't. :eek: :D We've got weeks yet. :(

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice