Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Great Countrywide Tundra Pet Event ...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aurelia, May 25, 2010.

1. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Folks, I need your help. So instead of previewing this thread ;) click instead and come on in!

I would like to create something that will benefit animals in need. I don't want to contribute to the larger pet charities, instead I want to focus on the smaller ones. The individual shelters and kennels that provide shelter for abandoned animals ... of all kinds.

I would like to call this even The Great Countrywide Tundra Event. This is after a certain dog touched the hearts of so many around these forums recently. It shows just how wrong it can go for an animal, and the difficulties the smaller 'charities' face when trying to find new homes for animals.

I propose this event helps raise funds to cover vets fee's, food bills, accommodation and of course profession temperament tests where necessary.

I guess I'm looking to form a charity really. So I need help from people. Given that we all share a common interest, our pets, and that we all have different professions .. I am looking for help form ...

People who know about running a chairty
    Web designers (I'm looking for individuals who would consider creating a website for this pro bono)
    Event planners, to help .. well plan an event :lol:
    Of course we also need folks who are good with publicity
    I'm also going to be looking for a couple of other people who can help me with everything.
    I would also like to hear from our members who run a animal shelter.

The event I am planning will be a pet orientated type of fare. I did initially think of only one event, but a member suggested a few events across the country so everyone has the chance to attend (thanks kazschow ;) ).

This event will have:

Stalls for any pet oriented business.

So members who run a business or craft like this are welcome, as well as bigger businesses such as our well know pet stores, animal feed manufacturers and so forth.

Entertainment for everyone

Perhaps having a show ring that has planned events like Sheep herding, pet 'shows', enertaining pets (for example the dancing dogs you see at Crufts). More ideas are welcome!

Providing knowledge and advice

So breeders are welcome to have a stall giving advice on caring for specific breeds of any species. Maybe even invite those who deal with the DDA, or a police stand about training police dogs... more idea welcome.

Food and drinks

Caterers are welcome to come and open up to feed the masses. This eve extends to folks who bake for pets!

Carboot to run along side

I'd also like to run a carboot sale along side this event, wit the proceeds of the pitch fees going to the charity. With the additional option of carbooters donating their proceeds as well, though not a must.

I welcome any more suggestion, the bigger we make this the more we can raise for the smaller charities! As well as proving a fun filled day or two for pet lovers all over the country.

If we manage to run one with a minimum of 2,000 paying to get in (perhaps £5 per head), we could raise 6k alone from that even if we have to pay £2 to each £5 to rent the location. Then when you add in pitch fees from the carboot and any voluntary contributions from stall holder and carbooters alike the possibilities are endless.

So what do you reckon? Anyone here that can help? :D

2. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I think that' a goer ;)

I run a little gormet dog deli, count me in for a centra scotlansd show, I'll give any help I can to this one. I've got a stall at a local country fair this weekend, I'll forward you on the trader info if you're interested ;)

(My main job is as a graphic designer, if that helps n any way)

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I think £5 entry is a bit too much in the present financial climate. Apart from that it sounds a good idea.

4. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the size of the show, most country shows here in central scotland are a min of £7 entry.

You could put in discounted family tickets, discount for online purchase etc to make it financially attractive for people coming.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If you have one close enough to me I'll have a stall or fetch my marquee. Although it doesn't sound a lot, £5 is quite a lot, maybe you need to think about offering discounts, so that a whole family or group of up to six people could get in for £15?? That would encourage more people to come along in greater numbers. The large game fairs and shows are expensive, but they are well established and have visitors year after year, so can charge more.

I've got my own PLI, and a lot of the shows ask for this now, it's not expensive so shouldn't put most traders off.

6. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

The shows we've been doing of late have asked for us to fill an hazard assesment form at time of entering, this negates the need for PLI. We have PLI through our main business though in addition.

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

could help with this as most people need to realise arctic breeds are alot of work :)

8. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

ill happily do what ever is needed of me, just let me know what you want me to do :)

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Some excellent input so far folks :D

I agree that £5 a head is a little expensive, it was just a ball park figure and can easily be changed. As well as doing family packages.

As far as the help goes, thank you for offering! I will keep you all in mind. I have to do a bit more research myself, but it will have to wait, as I really must get some of my own work done today :lol:

Keep the idea's coming :D

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I get asked for one or the other, sometimes I don't get asked for anything, it's more people who are using some sort of equiment and need to keep any produce fresh that they really want to see PLI for.

11. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

It makes me laugh having to do a risk assesment on putting up a table or a marque though lol And the possible injury at lifting a box of dog treats hehehee

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Lol, I think the worst thing I can think of with greeting cards is possibly a paper cut, they can be darn nasty those paper cuts.....

Anyway, back to the topic, ehem!

13. metame

metame PetForums VIP

dont forget as someone pointed out on another trhead that insurance will need looking into.

promise i'll help with whetevr i can, but im really off to do some work now.

14. rona

rona Guest

As this is to raise money for funds for dogs, maybe a few well places sponsored dog walks would be good.
    A PF member from each county could plan a walk.
    Great fun, and we could meet the people from our own regions :thumbup:

15. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That's another good idea! Thanks Rona :D

As for the PLI, I would of course get that sorted at some point.

Maybe I should call the Charity simply Tundra? Hmm, still lots to think about.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice