Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The gift of fear

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gem16, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Following on from my thread yesterday about gut instinct, i found this book i had been looking for. I plan to buy it and read it in the next couple of weeks and wanted to show other people because apparently it has some really good info inside. It is all about not ignoring your gut instinct when you are out or around people that make you uncomfortable. ( this is mostly aimed at women )
    Here is a short first chapter taken from the book if anyone is interested in having a quick read, it is about a rape victim:
    In the Presence of Danger : The Gift of Fear

And here is the book on amazon
    The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence: Amazon.co.uk: Gavin de Becker: Books

They had a whole episode on Oprah a while back, yes i watch Oprah :eek: :p and the things the man said were really interesting and thought provoking!

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Sounds brilliant. I think some people force themselves to ignore their fear in order to appear 'cool' or whatever. I'm a massive wimp lol, if I feel bad about a situation, I'm outta there! Guess that's a good thing in this instance though :D

3. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Me too! my friends joke that i am paranoid because if i'm sitting in the car alone and someone walks by i'll lock myself in or things like that but i always say i would rather be paranoid than dead! :D

4. Magalie

Magalie PetForums Newbie

Fear is not only a gift it can be crippling, knowing and understanding the sub-conscious reason and acknowledging it is very important but there are points where you are so scared of doing anything you just don't do it and that is a vicious cycle because you only build confidence when you achieve something through the feelings of fear.

I understand they will always be situations where people should understand and acknowledge their fear and take measures accordingly to feel safer. I just think it is overlooking a large proportion of unfounded fears of the unknown.

5. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

There is actually a lot in the book about telling the difference between anxiety and your gut instinct. Your anxiety is when your not in the presence of danger but are just worrying. So you read something in the paper about a shooting nearby and then live in fear it will happen to you, even though you have no good reason to believe it will apart from the scare mongering you have witnessed.
    Your gut instinct is when your in that situation, ie with a certain person who makes you uneasy etc and your picking up on the genuine danger signals. The man who wrote the book says at the end of the day we are animals, and animals can always tell when another animal is about to attack them, because they are constantly giving off those signals, but humans have been taught to ignore them.
    So the important thing is recognizing when your just having anxiety and when you really need to listen to your concerns, something the book is really helpful with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice