Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The FIV Thread

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Pieter, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Pieter

Pieter PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I hope to get as much information about FIV+ kitties as I can, not only to help me but also to help you.

Quick story, my two 17yo kitties are FIV+. It started with the male, his nose constantly had an infection, only one nostril though, the vet thought its cancer. Anyway, I started conditioning tablets years later because no vet knew what was going on. Those symptoms stopped for a while. That, however, didn't last very long, and he got ulcers in his mouth, major inflammation, some teeth were taken out. Later his sister started with the same stomatitis. They were tested the same day, and both were positive.
    They were both prescribed HIV meds, which is so disgusting not even I can get 1ml in nevermind the poor cat who needs 5ml per day.
    The vet tries to treat the stomatitis but refuses to pull all the teeth. And if they do, it will cost me thousands, 10k+ per cat. So, unfortunately, I have to search for all information I possibly can to help their immune systems. And I've read a lot. But it's a subject vets don't talk about, or so it seems, to them I understand, they know it's terminal, they know it will not get better, and no one of them wants to try alternative meds. They go by the book, and that's it. I want to go away from fiddling with their mouths, that's why I am trying injections.

• Currently, I am using Rucenta's Vit B complex, just started the injections, aiming for 2x per week, but I am feeling guilty to inject as it burns.
    • Oral rinse 2x daily (seems to help, they tolerate it)
    • CBD Oil (too early to tell as it takes weeks or months to work if it does)
    • "Recovery" wet food, I am not sure if I am allowed to say the name so I won't, it seems it's got lots of vitamins. (one food aversion I was able to cure)
    • Lactose-Free milk - it contains vitamins as well - and they love it.
    • Valium to stimulate eating if I need to. (1/8th of a tablet is more than enough)
    • Pain medication to make them more comfortable.
    • I also want to start a multi-vitamin injection - but they are very sensitive to taste and food aversions. (to reverse a food aversion takes weeks, months.. if you are lucky). And to find a pet-friendly one without a prescription is basically impossible.
    • I am unable to give them their HIV meds, it's either its horrible taste or it burns the mouth or both. The vet searched for tablets but was unable to find any.
    Any information, opinions, advice will be appreciated for us FIV+ owners.

2. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

Teeth removal shouldn’t cost thousands. I think my vet quoted somewhere around £400 for full teeth extraction inc xrays.

I think at 17 I would be looking at quality of life, as it is a v painful condition.

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Pieter - I would be cautious of giving too many fat soluble vitamins as any excess is stored in the liver and can cause health problems. An excess of water soluble vitamins will be safely excreted in the kidneys, so is not a health risk.

Hills Recovery food (which I think is what you were referring to) is packed with vitamins and minerals and the cats shouldn't need extra vitamins on top of the Hills. Too high a dose of vitamins and minerals is as bad as too little. Be especially careful about exceeding the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of calcium.

https://www.nap.edu/resource/10668/cat_nutrition_final.pdf

I would add omega 3 oil to their diet (check first there is none added to the Hills Recovery food) for its anti-inflammatory properties. Also very good for the cats' coat and skin. Omega 3 can be found in salmon oil and krill oil. My cats prefer the taste of krill oil. Buy cold pressed oil only. Snip the end off the capsule and squeeze the oil onto food and mix well. Start with only a drop of oil a day - because too much too soon may cause loose stools.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krill-Oil-500mg-Softgels-Cardiovascular/dp/B00LSXYHJI/ref=sr_1_7?crid=PUYFUVDBDB4E&dchild=1&keywords=krill+oil+capsules+500mg&qid=1584572172&sprefix=krill+oil,aps,148&sr=8-7

Results of research into the efficacy of human anti-viral drugs for FIV+ cats seem to be inconclusive. And not all cats tolerate the side effects.

Are you giving them medicinal grade CBD oil ? Is it for pain relief?

OrientalSlave and lorilu like this.
  4. Pieter

Pieter PetForums Newbie

I forget to mention it's South African Rands. Sorry. Actually found out today. R12 000.

5. Pieter

Pieter PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for the info and the info regarding vitamins. I will surely go and check the RDA of all of them. I can't find any Hills recovery food, Only Roya.l Canin's.
    I'll check into the krill and salmon oil capsules.

Thank you for the links, I'll check them out now. :)

It's a pity antiviral drugs aren't available or that effective for felines, my cats don't tolerate the side effects.

As for the CB.D oil, I've read about possibly having anti-inflammatory and pain relief qualities. I hope it works.

PS: I had to remove the links and put fullstops in certain words it didn't want to post ! lol

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Pieter - Royal Canin Recovery has similar ingredients to Hills Restorative Care food. Many vets in the UK seem to regard the Hills as being the '"gold standard" for convalescent cat food. And cats seem to find the Hills palatable. But if your cat likes the RC Recovery wet food I would stay with that.

Note the RC Recovery does contain milk/milk by products so I wouldn't give him additional milk.

The salmon oil tends not to come in capsules but liquid in a bottle. It does not keep as well as capsules and to me it can smell rancid. Capsules keep fresher for longer.

The forum has anti-spam software preventing links to outside sources being posted by new members until they have made 25 posts.

7. Pieter

Pieter PetForums Newbie

I saw when I removed the links lol. Imagining me putting fullstops meanwhile it's the links. I sound daft. :Joyful
    I will stop or limit the milk for them just to taste, have their fix. Like a few mills. Just shows me to read the labels thoroughly.

I will try and get krill capsules.

Thanks for the tips :):):)

chillminx likes this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

about £590

9. Pieter

Pieter PetForums Newbie

:eek: even worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice