Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Fishy Medicine Cupboard

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LinznMilly, May 17, 2020.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

We all have a medicine cupboard for ourselves - over-the-counter painkillers, first aid kit, hayfever tablets . . . and so on.

When things go wrong, your first port of call should be water changes. Often, doing daily water changes alone might be enough to resolve the problem. But it helps to have things on hand for when water changes alone won't get rid of the problem.

Here is a list of some treatments to keep in the fishy medicine cupboard.

Tonic Salt
    Salt (tonic or rock salt) is a good, safe, general treatment for various different problems, including whitespot and wounds/fun damage caused by aggression. There's even some evidence that salt will successfully treat columnaris as the bacteria causing it is intolerant of salt.

Methalene Blue
    General antibacterial. Helps minor infections and wounds to heal.

API Melafix and Pimafix
    Melafix is the equivalent of our TCP. Active ingredient is Tea Tree oil. Pimafix is a gentle anti-fungal. They can be used together to increase their efficacy. Active ingredient is Bay Tree oil.

Malachite Green
    Treats protozoa and fungal infections. Often the active ingredient in whitespot treatments such as Waterlife's Protozin or King British's Whitespot Control.

Anti Internal Bacteria
    Such as King British Disease Clear or Interpet's Number 9/Anti Internal Bacteria+

If anyone else has any suggestions they'd like to add, please feel free to comment.

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Could natural health aids be added? Like the use of Indian almond leaves, I know they are not specifically classed as medical treatment but they have lots of good natural medical benefits.

Good post to be added. I am going to look into buying some rock salt , API do there own salt so I shall take a look at that. Thanks.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Indian almond leaves are primarily marketed for their use in recreating natural blackwater set-ups and biotopes. Then, almost by extension, their ability to alter water chemsitry, bringing hardness and pH down. This alone means that the health benefits that the leaves reportedly have are restricted to softwater fish which naturally thrive in the conditions the leaves create.

4. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Ok. Thanks. All I know is that they have some form of healing properties to them, if it is even enough to make a difference I don't know. But as long as my fish like it (shrimp go nuts for them) then I am happy.

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I suspect they're better at preventing infections than curing them.

6. Magic Waves

Magic Waves PetForums Junior

I always keep API aquarium salt in but when i do water changes i always add API stress coat + only 10ml, i find it a good product.

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice