Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The fear of losing the kitten.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by AlfredTee, Oct 14, 2013.

1. AlfredTee

AlfredTee PetForums Newbie

My 6 month old kitten has just started to venture out around the neighbourhood. Although he has been castrated, which means hopefully he wont roam very far, every time he goes out and I happen to be in, I'm always looking for him worrying that something may happen to him but at the same time, I feel as if I'm not letting have the sense of freedom and wildness that cats need.

Am I being too paranoid or is this normal?

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

He is way too young to be let out alone!!! :eek:

He should be over 12 months of age, and slowly introduced to the outside, what will happen if a big 3year old male attacks him? He wont stand a chance :(

To be honest mine are indoor, he doesn't need a sense of 'wildness' , most cats are more than happy indoors, even moggies if you do things with them.

My moggie boy who I totally regret ever letting outside, does go out, the more I think about it the odder I find it that people let their pets outside, but thats another thread!

Keep him in for at least another 6 months, if not longer, if you let a cat out you run the risk of fights, serious ones :( cars hitting him (even if it is a 'quiet; neighbourhood it DOES happen) humans, and other things happening!

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

At 6 months, your cat is far too young to go outside, really. He is just about reaching puberty, very inquisitive and impulsive, and too young to have any road sense.

I try to keep mine indoors, or at least within the garden under supervision, till they are at least one year old. And if your cat shows no signs of developing road sense, I would advise you to look into cat-proofing your garden or building a run, rather than letting him go out unsupervised, even when he is older.

If the area you live in has busy roads or other features that pose a high risk to cats, I'd not let him out of the garden, no matter what.

You are not being paranoid at all. At least 3 members of this forum alone lost a cat to a road accident in the past week alone. And none of them were irresponsible owners who let cats out in neighbourhoods deemed more than averagely unsafe to cats.

I live in a suburban area which is relatively far from the town, with only one very quiet 30 mph ring road around the neighbourhood streets and where the speed limit in the streets themselves is 3 mph, and even I have lost 2 out of the 16 cats I have had during the 18 years I have been living here to road accidents.

4. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

I agree with the above - 6 months is far too young to be outside on his own!
    I'd keep him inside and then you won't need to worry about him! :D

5. Jiskefet

You have one great advantage: the weather is getting worse, so cats will be far happier to stay inside, or just go for a short stroll in the garden, than in spring or summer.

If you can keep him indoors all winter, and catproof your garden or make a run before spring, he will be more inclined to feel happy with that arrangement than if he has been used to being out and about, especially in summer.

6. AlfredTee

I totally agree. If I had it my way, I'd keep him in and play with him, but its always my mother telling me I'm cruel keeping him in all of the time. The only other thing is that he literally tries to escape the house, like jumping down from the kitchen window and meowing by the back door so its pretty hard to keep him in.

7. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Show your mum some of the threads on here of the cats who the forum has lost in the last week....in just the last week alone 3 cats were lost to cars....show your mum that, then if she still doesnt change her mind well then i'd hae nothing to say to her, sorry if it sounds harsh, but loosing a cat is far more harsh then anything we'd say to you on here

8. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

I'm dreading when my cat starts going out and will be just as paranoid. But I do think the winter will stop them from going off too far thankfully. Couldn't stand another summer without being able to open the patio doors to the garden in the evening. And I won't miss nearly squashing the cats head in the front door when he tries to make a break for freedom when two seconds earlier he was asleep on the sofa!

9. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

The first time my cats weren't home by bedtime, I nearly had kittens myself! We searched the streets for them, calling and rattling packets of treats. I don't go to bed with them outside as I worry to much, but I do still let mine roam.

10. Jiskefet

Has he been neutered yet?
    If not, you have your reason why he is trying to escape. He is after the girlies. He is reaching the age to become sexually active.

If so, he runs a very real risk of getting killed by cars (entire toms only have one single thing on their mind: sex, and their road sense once they have spotted a female is nil), or getting badly injured by bigger , stronger toms. Not to mention the risk of contracting potentially lethal diseases like feline AIDS and feline leukemia, which are transmitted by blood/saliva contact and sexual contact.

Quite apart from that, he would be contributing to the vast number of unwanted strays. All rescues are overflowing, so you would not want to add to the problem.

So if he has not been neutered yet, get it done ASAP, and you will see his urge to go out will greatly diminish.

As for your mum's remark about being cruel, isn't it a lot more cruel for him to contract feline AIDS or get killed by a car?
    We lost THREE cats to RTA within a week on this forum alone.....

#10 Jiskefet, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  11. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I agree,6 months is far too young to let outside, I know someone whose kitten got out of the garden at 6 months old where she thought he would be safe, she lived in a cul de sac, but the poor little thing was killed there, only 2 months after getting him,
    Maybe your mum is going by what the rads were like years ago, much quieter in general, but things have changed,and a lot of young people tend to drive too fast, and its too late then
    Please try to convince your mum that at least until the kitten is at least 12 months old he will be safer inside

12. londonkittens

londonkittens PetForums Junior

To be fair to the OP she did make it clear he had been castrated in her post.

However, I agree with everyone on here, 6 months really is too little to be out alone. Our two are house cats, as I really am scared of what's out there, not just cars, but illnesses and awful people.

We're in the process of getting screens on our windows and our balcony completely enclosed. Yes, it will cost money, but it's worth it to be able to open the windows and patio doors without fear or worry.

13. Jiskefet

With adult toms, it will take at least a month for all testosterone to disappear out of their bloodstream. In young cats, this will happen sooner, but if he was already showing signs of sexual interest, he may still do so for 1 or 2 weeks after neutering.
    So if he was neutered just before this post was made, he may still be feeling the urge to go and look for females, and he may calm down and be less eager to roam once the last of the hormones have disappeared from his body.

But it is quite possible he simply is a very inquisitive little guy, in which case I would most certainly catproof the garden or build him a run as soon as possible. That way, he will be safe, and he can still go out when he wants to.

14. AlfredTee

That's exactly what I'm like. My mum let him out around 7 last night and I was worrying really badly. I looked through my bedroom window and I saw him on a neighbours trampoline and 15 minutes later he came back through the kit hen window. I think that once they're nurtured, they have their own perimeter in which they roam. I know my kittens perimeter thankfully but the only bad thing is that there is an English bull terrier in one of the houses in the perimeter.

15. AlfredTee

I think you may be correct about him being inquisitive because he will only go where our older cat either goes or has been which thankfully isn't that far. And also is really interested about smells. I usually see him sniffing about when he's out but I'm not entirely sure what for. He was nurtured a week ago today but I don't believe he was showing signs of sexual interest. The latest thing he's being doing is coming in and going out of the kitchen window (which is completely my mums idea because she knows everything there is available to know about cats to date) which seems to work but I do still panic and stuff.

16. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Be prepared for your kitty to go wandering further afield and come back later than you think. There is also lots of dangers for them outdoors.

We have 3 outdoor kittys and are constantly watching out for them, but they will, at times, just do there own thing, when they want to, at all hours too. :rolleyes:

17. jilvis

jilvis PetForums Member

I already have the FEAR and my two aren't likely to be wandering outside for another 6 months. I know my partner wants them to be allowed to roam (once they're old enough) but I can't bear the thought of something happening to them. Will have to see how we feel about it nearer the time but I'm glad they are indoor kitties for the time being - I suspect I will be a permanent nervous wreck if they ever do get outdoor privileges!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice