Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The father of Ambers Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kitties, Aug 16, 2009.

1. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thought you might like to see the father of ambers kittens, he just turned up one night, never seem him before.

Amber is the Tabby. What colour kittens do you think?

Attached Files:

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

ooo i dont know what colour theyl have someone will have a better idea. but his face he looks like a guy whos just found out hes gunna be a dad bless him lol

3. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

lol !!!! wonder why people dont get their Toms done? they must know they are out fathering kittens everywhere, I'm pleased shes having one litter anyway before she gets done herself. Wonder how many babies he has?

4. myrkari

myrkari PetForums Junior

Is Amber a tortoiseshell-tabby, or is that just the light?

Assuming she is, and that neither dad nor mum carry any sneaky dilute, pointed or longhair genes (unlikely), then you will get:

Black tabby boys and girls, plain black boys and girls, red tabby boys, plain red boys (don't look much different than tabbies!), tortoiseshell girls, and tortoiseshell-tabby girls. Also, any of the above with white bits.

If it was just the light playing tricks with me and Amber is a plain tabby, then take out the reds and torties from the kitten colour list :D:p

5. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Here are more pictures of Amber, i've been told shes a tortie tabby.

Wor Cats - AMBER

oh id love black tabbies, like grey black is that what you mean? I thought we may get some gingers!?

6. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

She really is beautiful kitties. :001_wub: I love the markings on her head it looks like an indian henna design!

She does have quite alot of "red" in her...More than Syd did...OOhh I can't wait to find out!!!!!:D

7. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thanks Soph, shes my baby. I just thought she was a tabby, but a couple of people have said shes a tortie tabby now, i thought she was like Syd, when I saw Syd. She is quite light though, her underneath, is pale ginger and white, and her legs are too. Her colour seems to change, sometimes shes darker. Im getting very very excited now.

8. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

Yes, I find it very irresponsible of owners, to have an unneutered male and allow it to roam.

9. myrkari

myrkari PetForums Junior

Thanks for the other pics - Amber is so cute! And yes she is definitely a tortie tabby. Her tabby pattern is 'classic'. So any black tabby kittens will look like she does, except without any red.

I've googled a picture - it's just one of the first ones that comes up on an image search.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/cat-dog-pictures/tabby-cat.jpg

If both of the cats carry the dilute gene you might get a blue (grey) baby, but it is quite unlikely.

Oh and when I said "red" I meant ginger!! Sorry, in the Oriental cats (which is what I know mostly), we call ginger red. So yes, you are right, you should get some gingers but they will all be boys, because to get ginger girls, dad has to be ginger and mum has to be either ginger or tortie.

10. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

Kitten Color Predictor Genetics Chart posted this on another thread but its good as it shows you the possible litter colours.. you would have to put in the father as black so all the predicted kitten colours could also be "and white" and you would have to put amber in as a brown patched tabby which is the nearest to what she is

11. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

wow huge choice there then! lol! will have to be patient for just a bit longer i would absolutely love a black tabby.

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

You have an excellent chance of some of those - though whether they are 'classic' pattern or not depends on what pattern Dad has. All cats (whatever their colour) have some kind of tabby pattern hiding there. This is why you see 'ghost' tabby markings on young solid kittens... And even black Panthers show spots in some lights, I've seen that myself on a black Leopard at a zoo.

Tabby is dominant to self/solid (i.e. plain black, like Dad's solid patches) so you will get tabbies - in fact all the babies could be tabby if Mum doesn't carry a solid gene.

Classic is recessive to spotted/striped tabby. If Dad's pattern happens to be classic, then all the kittens will have Classic pattern even if they don't show it. But if his hidden tabby pattern is spotted/striped, the tabbies will be spotted/striped. If he happens to carry a Classic gene, you have a chance of a Classic tabby.

Complicated! LOL.... but fun :)

13. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

thanks for explaining that to me always wondered why my classic tabby only had mackrel or spotted tabby kits (although she did have some solids and bi colours too but never any classics)

14. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

ooh i was waiting for your answer cos i love your workings out, was pleased to fnd a pic of the dad.

15. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

I guess for the same reason people don't get their female cats speyed? A minority of people just don't bother to have their cats neutered and allow them to roam. When my young Selkirk boy was entire we had several visiting queens come round clearly in full call - luckily he was secure in his cat run so no random matings but he found it rather confusing bless him with the girls going crazy outside in the garden and I then moved him back indoors until he was neutered as it really wasn't fair on him!

I haven't seen either girl since thank goodness ....

Dozymoo likes this.
  16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh wow ive never heard of girls calling on the men!!

i always planned on getting amber done, but shes an indoor cat (apart from few times shes escaped), so hadnt rushed to do it, and the night she escaped was the night he was waiting. she will get done as soon as possible after feeding her babies.

but at least with a female you can keep track if they do get pregnant, the toms must be fathering left right and centre

17. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Looks like your in for an exciting litter!

18. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Can't wait to see what you get ...How long have you got to wait??

19. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

20. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Congratulations they are gorgeous!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice