Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The excuses they give....

Discussion in 'Cat Rescue and Adoption' started by GPTC, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I would agree. But it still stands that if you are only going to rehome a cat to someone who can guarantee to be able to look after it for the life of that animal, you are not going to rehome many cats. Illness, injury, bankruptcy, domestic violence...the list of things that can cause people to lose their homes is a long one. It's not as simple as GPTC likes to think it is.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

On the flip side, many tenants with housing associations have long term rolling contracts with a secure tenancy. Why should they be deprived of a companion, because they are a HA or council tenant? Their home is as secure as a purchased property.

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Added to that, many rescues do not allow indoor homes, then the problem of finding homes for cats in rescues is harder....:Bookworm

I think @Willow_Warren said it well, there can be many unforeseen future circumstances but sometimes people are careless and don’t think.

4. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

Oh, and on the subject of home-owners providing more secure homes...one of the 'best' (i.e. worst) excuses for rehoming I ever heard was from a woman who owned outright her own home plus several others. She had redecorated the living room and the fur would show up too much on the new carpet... I think attitude is more important than circumstances. Some people will sacrifice a lot to keep their pets, others just rehome on a whim.

5. GPTC

GPTC Guest

I'm not computer savvy enough to do the multi quote bit so can't address each point as I would like, but in a nut shell...

Your superior attitude sucks, you should be thanking your lucky stars that you have never lost your home, particularly when you have a babe in arms and animals you are responsible for.

I am not offended by your insult. If my attitude towards tenants and homelessness sucks (with regard to adopting a cat), then so be it. Tough.

And I repeat a little louder..... I AM STILL ALLOWED TO HAVE, AND DO HAVE, SYMPATHY FOR PEOPLE THAT LOSE THEIR HOMES!!!

I think GPTC is trying to say that if you own your own home, the probability of having to ever rehome your cat is lower....

Yes, exactly. Thank you. It's not rocket science.

It's not as simple as GPTC likes to think it is.

No, it's not. So I try to minimize the risk.

6. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

This in unfair. I rent, I currently have to find a new home through no fault of my own. The cats are pretty much the biggest factor with any home we look at.

Why shouldn't I be able to have cats? You will struggle to find 3 more loved cats on earth than my bunch.

In this day and age more and more young people are stuck renting. If everyone shared your attitude a lot of deeply loved cats would still be looking for homes.

Anyway, how many home owners don't have a mortgage? What if they lose their job and can't make the payments? Then they might have to rent! Maybe rescues and breeders should only let millionaires have a pet?

#26 Smuge, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

Could you quote a link to the statistics for this please? I think you may be mistaken. With many people being allowed to over-stretch themselves and becoming mortgaged / loaned up to the hilt, it oly takes a small change in circumstances and many more homeowners discover that they are maybe not as secure as they once thought.

I really hope that it never happens to you (or do I, given your horrible attitude), maybe it would teach you a valuable lesson about not judging other people.

LinznMilly and Rufus15 like this.
  8. GPTC

GPTC Guest

So my attitude sucks and is horrible. Again, tough.

As for judging other people, anybody that want's to adopt a cat that I've rescued from the streets will be judged.

This in unfair. I rent, I currently have to find a new home through no fault of my own. The cats are pretty much the biggest factor with any home we look at.

Fair or unfair doesn't enter into it when rehoming cats. The best and most likely to be a good loving forever home is what counts. I'm not a heartless so-and-so. I'm sorry that you need to find a new home. It's great that your cat's are your priority.

My cats are my priority.

chillminx, TriTri and Paddypaws like this.
  9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think anyone who has any involvement with animal rescue will admit that the longer you spend in that environment, the more disillusioned you become with mankind. @GPTC is putting his money where his mouth is and funding his own cat rescue which is probably more than the rest of us manage.
    The unfortunate truth is that it is difficult enough to find a decent rental that will allow one pet, but once one has several animals that task becomes ever harder.
    House hunting is hard, eviction is awful but in this day and age no one can be pushed out of a property without several month’s notice.
    I think the point is that some tenants seem to leave any concern about their animals until the very last minute and then feel that emotional blackmail should magically open up a space in a rescue centre, expecting someone else to sort out the problem.
    I’ve fostered cats myself that are being given away on gumtree in these circumstances. The posters threaten to turf the cats out on the streets unless someone else steps in, collects the animals, covers costs and makes arrangements.
    @GPTC, let off steam all you like, impose whatever criteria you see fit on your re-homes, just please keep up the good work that you do.

chillminx, QOTN, TriTri and 2 others like this.
  10. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Given your poor attitude towards ethical breeding, it doesn't surprise me that you are so unwilling to look beyond your small sphere :rolleyes:

FYI, my comment wasn't a judgement, it was a statement of fact. Your attitude on this and various other topics across this forum is poor at best.

11. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I rescued cats for a number of years, out of my own pocket. There is no excuse for the appalling level of judgement directed at people who often have no choice in their living situation.

Thank goodness other rescues don't have such ridiculous criteria, given that more people now rent than home own, we would have an even worse rescue crisis on our hands.

12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

A good point by @Paddypaws is that in GPTC’s rescue, it is his private rescue and he can choose who to home to or not home to.

Not everyone will agree on this site as in real life, disagreements happen.

I don’t have my own rescue but often visit and help out in one. We are in a major urban area and most of the people who give new homes to the cats live in flats and do not have outdoor access. We are not in the U.K.. From what I have seen on here many U.K. rescues prefer not to give indoor homes unless the cat is disabled or ill.

I think the more restrictions you create, the fewer homes given and the more people will turn to breeders or newspaper adverts rather than turning to a rescue. I imagine though a smaller rescue could do things on a case by case basis.

ribbon, Clairabella, TriTri and 3 others like this.
  13. GPTC

GPTC Guest

My attitude towards breeding is very clear and no secret.. It is unethical to breed cats when there are far to many cats and not enough good homes. It does not matter to me that you breed fancy cats. You are just adding to the problem. But it is your choice to add to the problem, as it is my choice to try to achieve the best chances for the cats I rescue.

FYI, your comment IS a judgement, NOT a statement of fact. It is a statement of your opinion. You are entitled to it. As I am entitled to mine. I have no problem with your opinion.

14. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

What we choose to do, whether it be rescue or breeding, it is our choice and I do not want this thread to degenerate into angry snipes against one another.
    Personally, while I can applaud @GPTC doing what they believe to be the best for the cats in their care, I think being so closed against people in rented accomodation drives potential owners into the arms of back yard breeders..

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Your choice IS adding to the problem, far more than mine, because there are plenty of excellent people and excellent homes that you decide to rule out because you are too judgemental.

I absolutely agree that you need to be careful about who cats go to, they need to be good, loving homes, but that does not automatically mean those people will be in owned homes, or that people in rented accommodation cannot provide that.

Fewer and fewer people are able to buy in this economy, by restricting homes in the way you do, you are encouraging people to go to backyard breeders, particularly in light of the fact that by your own admission you get many people contacting you about indoor homes that have been refused by bigger rescues.

Pedigree cats do not add to the problem of rescues. If someone wants to spend £500+ on a cat then they are already inclined not to rescue, for whatever reason, and that's ok. Breeders who work to produce gene tested, healthy kittens, are a million miles apart from a backyard breeder. They do not compare.

Equally, a rescue who has flexible rehoming on a case-by-case basis is far more likely to find suitable forever homes for their cats.

Rescuing is already difficult, with inconsistencies between areas, rescues, and this ridiculous insistence that cats must go outside. You are already restricting available homes in an already restrictive rescue area. This will force people to go to bybs.

LinznMilly likes this.
  16. GPTC

GPTC Guest

Please allow me to correct you Rufus 15.

By restricting homes in the way I do, I am encouraging people to go to other rescues that will home to rented households. I would never ever encourage anybody to go to a breeder.

By my own admission I get many people contacting me about giving up their cats because they are moving out / being evicted from their rented accomodation.

I have said on other posts that we WILL home to indoor only if we have a cat that needs indoor only and a possible adopter with a home that needs to be indoor only.

None of our current residents fit this criteria, but there are other rescues locally that do have cats requiring indoor homes. There's nothing stopping somebody adopting from these rescues if they need an indoor cat.

#36 GPTC, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2018
  17. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

You are sorely misguided if you think that's what happens.

18. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

It was my quote and no I’m not mistaken. The local letting agency where I live has over 200 pet owners waiting for rental properties and he says they have no chance whatsoever. My friend managed to find a rental who eventually agreed to him taking his cats, but only by paying over £40000 deposit up front, so very difficult here. I use to rent through friends, but then bought to secure/provide forever homes for my cats. Rental availability really depends on where you live. Mortgages have tightened up considerably and people can no longer mortgage up to the hilt, unless they already did so prior to the crash, but those that have already done so, would have put down large deposits and should have sufficient equity now to secure the future of their pets. GPTC is putting quality before quantity and that’s GPTC’s choice, especially after picking up the pieces for so many people, whether through no fault of their own or otherwise. It boils down to rental availability for people with pets and down to the individual and their priorities. When you work in cat rescue centres you may see things differently to the general cat owner.

#38 TriTri, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    chillminx, LinznMilly and Paddypaws like this.
  19. Doyley

Doyley PetForums Member

So again, just your opinion and the opinion of locals and friends, no actual facts or statistics.

And a £40k deposit for a rental???? You are definitely mistaken!!

I thought that I had bought my "forever" home too a few years ago, but things happened that were out of my control and I lost everything so I say again: Just because you own your property at the moment, does not guarantee that your life will never change. There has been a massive boom in the help to buy schemes which are available on new build homes. So people are signing up to these deals, paying way over the odds and then ending up in.....guess what.......negative equity......so the housing market has changed yes, but is it better or more secure? I'm not so sure.

GPTC can run their rescue whichever way they like and of course they are entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to agree.

LinznMilly and Rufus15 like this.
  20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

This isn't my experience of letting out houses, nearly all of the tenants who enquire on my properties haven't had pets except for 1.

And surely £40000 is a typo? If it isn't why not just buy a place??

Edit: cross posted with @Doyley about the deposit.

LinznMilly and Doyley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice