Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The EAT-Lancet Commission Report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I don't eat meat or dairy.

I do eat a lot of fish and some eggs though and would not give them up.

2. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Ours is a small farm collective and we have the odds and sods box which means a cheap surprise on a Thursday! Some of the boxes with some places can be very pricey I agree so it def pays to shop about.

I don’t eat bread so that’s not been a issue for me.

The other feed I wanted to rep is Arjuna Wholefoods for anyone on Facebook. They are a total gem in Cambridge and have been posting and reviewing vegan products throughout Jan so worth it for brand recommendations people may find elsewhere in the UK.

noushka05 likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

It's not that i don't like fruit. It's so weird - like i will eat any fruit and it's ok. But nothing drives me to eat fruit. I always have fresh fruit in, but i never pick at it - not coz i don't like it, there's just no urge whatsoever, no appetite for it.

The one fruit i will snack on is tomatoes. Love tomatoes. And in hot weather - melon. And i do love a bowl of fresh strawberries with some meringue crumbled over the top.

The amount of veg i eat probably well makes up for lack of fruit. I could eat broccoli til it came out of my ears!! I just love the stuff, sprouts, dark green cabbage and kale. I eat massive quantities of salad. And - i do like a walnut and celery salad right enough.

I can only guess that my appetite was set down in early childhood. A meat and 2 veg diet. Followed by lots of home baked cake, apple pie and biscuits. No processed food bar fish fingers (savoury processed that is, tons of sweets though) and not a lot of fruit.

I do love fish now and we didn't get a lot of that as kids. And we had yogurt which i really don't like much at all now.

As kids, we didn't get fizzy juice/crisps/chips - not due to health reasons. Just due to the fact my own mum preferred cake to crisps too.

I'm not driven to snack on crisps either. Take them or leave them. Prefer boiled spuds to chips.

I could ramble on for a long time really but will spare you any more - the psychology behind my own eating habits fascinates me but i don't understand it!

4. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Great to see you back RPH! :D

I’m really trying to get back to eating more veg again as I’ve been seriously lagging lately, but I’m finding the amount I’m wasting is shameful :Sorry
    My OH doesn’t eat veg and there’s only so much I can eat by myself. I buy sprouts because Pheebs loves them and I can share them with her, and I buy broccoli and cauliflower because I can share them with the budgie.. but even then, so much of it is wasted as it goes manky before I can finish it. I hate frozen veg and I don’t like veg cooked into things. It has to be fresh, plain, steamed and straight onto my plate or I just can’t eat it.

noushka05 and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  5. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Thank you. Hope you are OK. What about having some raw like a salad that you eat alongside your main meal? I recently started having raw sprouts alongside some cooked greens - I chop them quite finely and add some vinegar and red chilli. Or you could add them to a coleslaw with shredded cabbage/carrot/onions.

6. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I’m good thanks, hope you’re doing well!

I didn’t know you could eat raw sprouts :Bag I’ll give them a try mixed into a side salad. Never actually thought of making my own coleslaw either! That would use up some of the cabbage I usually end up binning too. Thanks! :)

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  7. rottiepointerhouse

You can even get vegan Hellmans Mayonnaise you know :D:D

noushka05 and Nettles like this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sounds like we'd really all be better off if we just treated ourselves to one meaty meal a week then....make it a special occasion!LOL:D

Doesnt really bother me as Im vegan but I was sad to read in that report that I should be cutting down on potatoes, I love potatoes!:( All the rest suits me fine though. Im putting more effort into going wholefood this year anyways and so far its going well. Ive only fallen off the wagon once with some frozen chips and processed sausage rolls after my nightshift (I hadnt slept for 2 days and really needed something junky to eat!). But more veggies, fruit, legumes, nuts and wholemeal carbs sounds good to me!

noushka05 and LinznMilly like this.
  9. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

I think it was Jamie's Christmas dinners I was watching where he made 'Christmas' coleslaw using sprouts instead of cabbage and added cranberries, made a 'sauce' out of oil, crushed walnuts, mustard powder, garlic and some fresh herbs
    Sounded really nice and I'm going to try it

noushka05 and Nettles like this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

Thing is much as I would like to say a 100% plant based diet has been proven to be the most beneficial for health, it hasn't. Most of the plant based doctors agree that about 90% - 95% can be proven but that the last 5- 10 % doesn't have a huge impact on health. The Blue Zones are not 100 % plant based but they use animal products such as meat in tiny amounts as a condiment for adding flavour to some dishes or they reserve them for special occasions. Therefore it doesn't surprise me that they have come up with the suggestions they have although given the Blue Zones evidence and other studies I think they could have gone further. Ethics of course is a totally different matter and on that basis I would love to see everyone 100 % plant based :D

#30 rottiepointerhouse, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    LinznMilly likes this.
  11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I love raw sprouts. You're the first person who has said they like them too. Everyone else thinks I'm odd!

12. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I make a salad with chopped sprouts, shredded cabbage and carrots - bung it in a food processor - with lemon juice and zest, chilli, a tsp of sugar, oil and peanuts. The lemon helps to preserve it a little so you can make it before you need it and then stop veg going off. For red cabbage I braise it with apples in the slow cooker - there are loads of ways to do this if you look on BBC Good For and then I freeze it.

Nettles likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Finally got around to watching this. Did I tell you I got to meet Dr Davis in person last summer? He has moved to a city about 2 hours from here and he was doing a talk at the city’s vegan festival that we attended. 991D4DC2-2962-4BA8-ADDC-EC9B763DE39F.jpeg He’s a lovely man, passionate and compassionate. He is doing great work!!

14. rottiepointerhouse

Yes I remember and am very jealous that you got to meet him :D

O2.0 likes this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In my next life I’m going to work for him, helping him transform peoples lives for the better:)

16. rottiepointerhouse

Oh yes, if I had my time over I would love to work with a plant based practice helping people to make the changes and improve their health. There are so many inspirational stories. I follow another plant based cardiologist on instagram (Dr. Danielle Belardo) who shares some amazing stories, you may have come across her as she is also really into yoga. She has started doing podcasts (called Nutrition Rounds) which I want to listen to if I can figure out how on my lap top :Shamefullyembarrased

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/nutrition-rounds-podcast/id1447250475?mt=2

LinznMilly and O2.0 like this.
  17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Thank you for tagging me RPH. Not everyone will bother to read the Lancet study but it would great if they could spare a few minutes to watch this crucial video - in 8 minutes Garth explains why we must drastically change our ways - and why we simply don't have time to spare. And as he says ...."This has nothing to do with veganism..."

Garth clearly points out that consumption of fish is killing our seas & I think a lot people don't realise this. I believe many think its plastic pollution which it the greatest threat to our seas when its actually over fishing.

19. rona

rona Still missing my boys

https://ninateicholz.com/majority-o...wlL2PaKRQRlJzcH9rPd7udwk2Ei5vre0EgYev_w7CfC0U
    "This was clearly a highly biased group, and the outcome of their report was therefore inevitably a foregone conclusion. Convening a one-sided group on a topic cannot be expected to produce a balanced outcome."

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/n...wMg4OjESo-UBFfk2iKGno_QO7wSV_YMRVDuC1Yg4R0ZlU

"The EAT-Lancet diet is not only nutritionally deficient, it has been likened by some observers to the macrobiotic fad diets popular in the 1970s that resulted in severe protein and nutritional deficiencies."

20. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Hardly a reliable source you're quoting from Rona. Sounds like you've found yet another industry shill:eek:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/21676236

Nina Teicholz misleads readers by chronically failing to disclose how her work is financially supported
    Receiving a paycheck dependent on performance in promoting partisan claims about science--e.g. paid roles as author, speaker, and paid director of lobbying group promoting such claims--is a serious conflict of interest when writing articles that purport to be scientific.
    Nina Teicholz, whose financial situation is described above, recently co-wrote a Medscape article, which self-portrays as being science-based. Problematically in this article, she presents the very same views for which she receives a.) royalties as author of the The Big Fat Surprise, b.) honoraria as speaker on the claims contained therein, and c.) a salary as Executive Director of the Nutrition Coalition, which promotes these same claims and lobbies the United States government about nutrition policy.

Indeed while Nina appears to have no financial disclosure page on her website--and so we do not know the extent of her conflict from royalties and honoraria--the publicly available Nutrition Coalition's 2015 501c tax filing shows a compensation of $24,046 for 10 hours of work per week as secretary:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice