Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The EAT-Lancet Commission Report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Jan 17, 2019.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

2. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

If this is the same thing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46865204 well I'm sorry but if this bit is true they can get lost I'm not doing away with my Rib Eye Steaks.

Quoted "if you eat meat every day then this is the first biggie. For red meat you're looking at a burger a week or a large steak a month and that's your lot"

kimthecat likes this.
  3. rottiepointerhouse

Yes it is the same report.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Do you know, I'm not even sure I know what a rib eye steak is.... I mean, yes, I know what a steak is, but I don't know that I would know the difference between a rib eye steak and any other cut of meat!

Funny what we deem critically important to our lives...

5. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I'm not a veggie nor do I have any intention of giving up meat, but I do think we in the west eat too much of it. In many cultures meat is for special occasions only. I think part of the problem is that we're so far removed from the production side of it - if we had to slaughter our own animals for meat, I'm sure we'd eat less!

LinznMilly and O2.0 like this.
  6. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

At my time of life and state of health I don't really care anymore, I enjoy my food and I'm changing now. Why eat things I don't really like, I do eat some veg, I don't really like fruit or salad so I'll just carry on as normal and take what comes.:)

PetloverJo and tabelmabel like this.
  7. rottiepointerhouse

The plate on page 9 of the report shows their recommendations and it isn't suggesting no meat/fish/dairy just a drastic reduction in the amount people eat although given that estimates are suggesting the oceans will be devoid of fish by 2048 fish might not be an option for much longer anyway.

8. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Nice to see you @rottiepointerhouse hope you are well
    I read that with a lot of interest this morning
    Here in this house we have cut down our red meat consumption hugely, however we are still eating fish and chicken
    Our fruit and veg has increased by at least double and we have introduced a few legumes (lentil shepherds pie with swede and carrot topping is lush)
    We are working towards cutting our carbs to under 4 (net) per meal and cutting down massively on below ground veg, as its the highest in sugars

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I do enjoy a Sunday roast and roast beef is my favourite. Apart from that, we don't tend to eat a lot of red meat. I could easily switch to plant based foods. Love veg, pulses, grains. Very few i don't like.

However I'm not a big fruit eater. Unless it comes in apple pie formation, nothing drives me to eat fruit. I really don't like nuts. Unless chocolate coated.

And i eat far too much saturated fat in the form of cakes and biscuits. If i could learn to moderate this aspect of my diet and eat fruit, id be doing well.
    Processed meat i don't touch. Sausages burgers yuk!!

I've never had a KFC ever. I keep meaning to try it just for the experience but i just can't face it. Or those kebabs that twirl around in the chippy window. Gross out!:Vomit

10. rottiepointerhouse

Thank you Mrs Phas - how are you doing? I'm thrilled to hear you are moving more towards a plant based diet, every bit helps with health, the environment and the poor animals. A bit concerned about the cutting down on carbs part of your post especially given the report last week on the huge benefits of fibre but I guess you must have your reasons for thinking its a good idea.

11. rottiepointerhouse

Rib eye is marbled with a lot of fat :eek: An average size steak of about 200 g has about 20 g of saturated fat (recommended daily amount for a female adult) and a big whack of cholesterol.

12. rottiepointerhouse

Could you try some fruit in a smoothie or try adding some berries to your breakfast cereal? With nuts you can get some in by blending them so for instance I make a really lovely salad dressing with blended walnuts, garlic, raisins and mustard, it tastes a bit like honey mustard dressing. I also mix ground nuts with mushrooms to make something similar to a meat loaf or cashews blended with plant milk and garlic makes a good sauce for pasta.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  13. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Good to see you Rottie ! I need you on here to keep me on the straight and narrow. Interesting report I agree that whilst many wouldn't want to give up meat all together cutting down can make a difference. It does worry me what the future holds for my step daughter.

rottiepointerhouse and O2.0 like this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yeah, I'll pass LOL!

This got me to thinking what foods could I personally not live without. Individual foods, though I wouldn't be happy about some, there is nothing I wouldn't give up if it were important enough. Like I could give up blueberries if it came to pass that they were an environmental disaster to grow and harvest. I would miss them, but I would give them up.
    But whole food groups like all fruits, no way! Which is ironic since I have zero problem not eating any meat or not eating any dairy. But then again, is it possible to live without eating any fruit ever? Wouldn't you get scurvy or something? :D

15. rottiepointerhouse

Thank you, I will be keeping an eye on you now to make sure you are behaving :D:D

I would find garlic/ginger/chilli really hard to give up along with onions and mushrooms. They are pretty much the basis of most of what I cook and love but I guess I would get by and find something else. I think it must be possible to live without fruit judging on the number of people I hear say they never eat it. As long as you got enough Vit C from vegetables you would be OK as far as scurvy goes but I'm sure there must be tons of other micronutrients you would miss out on.

O2.0 likes this.
  16. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm not Vegan or Vegetarian but I love the idea of a "planetary diet" that is not only healthy for me but for the planet.
    Definitely something I will strive towards

17. rottiepointerhouse

Dr Garth Davis on the subject - "We must act now" tagging @noushka05

noushka05 and O2.0 like this.
  18. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Hello @rottiepointerhouse its lovely to have you here and with another useful thread. Thank you and hope you’re okay.

The single biggest thing that has made a difference to my diet is the veg box. Not just because it’s a great organic taste and cheaper than the equivalent in Tesco etc but because the local farm we get it from has an Instagram feed where they cook the same food and it’s mostly vegan or veggie or easily adapted. We’ve certainly increased our plant days here. I don’t eat meat as I’ve said before but my husband did and he doesn’t miss what he doesn’t know he’s not getting....!

Smoothies are ways to add fruit and I stir into porridge but I genuinely love fruit but appreciate not everyone does.

noushka05 and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  19. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I could give up meat without too much trouble if it wasn't for the fact that my husband couldn't and I don't want to cook two separate meals every day! The thing I couldn't do without is dairy - I love all dairy products and the substitutes just don't cut it for me. Then there's eggs, which there'd be no point at all in me giving up since my hens give me three every morning and I already have more than I know what to do with! I have no guilt at all eating those since they come from happy, healthy, 100% free-range hens that will be living out their natural lifespans as much-loved pets :)

20. rottiepointerhouse

Thank you @MollySmith. I've been using my organic veg supplier more recently too, even started getting some bread from them. Mine do some interesting vegan/vegetarian meal boxes but boy are they expensive so I haven't bothered with those. I do pinch some of the ideas though :D

noushka05 and MollySmith like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice