Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The dreaded flea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by oliversmum, Aug 9, 2009.

1. oliversmum

oliversmum PetForums Junior

Has anyone got any idea's for a non chemical flea treatment. I have used Frontline for 6 year's but it doesn't seem to work anymore.I tried Advocate this month but 2 day's after using it Oliver had a really bad stomach upset. The 2 may or may not be related.Hope some one out there can give some advice.:confused:

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Have a look at CSJ site as they do a herb one called Billy No Mates I know some people have success with this

3. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

why dont you try frontline combo?? or stronghold? herbal treatments wont work.

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Give him something with garlic in/on it. This will save you money and does a pretty good job of keeping the dreaded fleas at bay ;)

Mine all eat food with garlic in... spag bol, lasagne, soups, garlic bread, etc. In 4 years I've only ever seen 1 flea !

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

6. oliversmum

Thanks for the help. He does have a garlic cap. every day. Frontline only seems to work for about 2 weeks. He chews himself raw after it wears off. Just worried about all the chemicals in all of these treatments.

7. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I do admit im starting to wonder if fleas are becoming immune to frontline as my cats are needing reapplication after just 3 weeks,and at £95 a time thats not good:mad: the discs sound interesting but a bit gimmicky,treated with waves:confused: apart from the fact that my cats dont wear collars,and small kittens cant,they would be ideal,if they worked

8. oliversmum

My cat isn't so bad I comb him daily with a nit comb. But my dog is a curly coat Goldie.Not much use to try him with the comb!

9. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

They have a 95% success rate, I found it through my dog magazine and several people had all tested it and found amazing results. My cat even has one on ;)

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Another alternative I've heard is good, is Dyna-mite. Does fleas and ticks too. It's a concentrated liquid that you dilute and wash or spray on, lasts up to 4 weeks and can also be used on humans to deter midges and mosquitos. I've just got some to try actually!

11. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Fresh garlic is better than any capsules you can get, the reason people have the capsules is for the oil without the smell, but it's the actual smell that has all the benefits, take away the smell and the benefits are gone too.
    Mine have spag bol, lasagne, garlic bread and home made soup (with garlic in it).

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

im using 4 fleas tablets at the moment and they work a treat no flea here and they work in 15mins :)

13. oliversmum

Please let me know how it goes. Someone told me Avon skin so soft works, but I don't know which one

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's the dry oil body spray. It works for some people, not for others. I wouldn't put it on a dog that grooms itself a lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice