UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so Piper is PETRIFIED of fireworks. We are working on this with a sounds scary CD, but even the sound of 'fireworks' on the lenor advert sets her off.

I am planning to get a thundershirt for her. Hubby wants to go to a display with friends, which means we have food there after. The plan is for Piper to come to the friends place with us and be left there whilst we go to the display down the road. Now they have 2 large dogs who aren't scared of fireworks and Piper would be left with them, plus possibly a couple of others. She knows the two large dogs and seems to get on ok with them.

My query is, given how scared she gets, is it likely being around dogs who dont get scared will settle her down, or likely to put her over the edge?

I am currently debating either staying at the friends house with the dogs (whilst everyone goes to the display) or staying at home with Piper. If it would be beneficial for her to be around dogs who arent scared i will do that, but want to get others opinions.

I dont want to leave her there and come back to carnage or a petrified dog.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Personally if I had a dog that was "PETRIFIED" of fireworks I would not even consider leaving the house the weekend before/after bonfire night, bonfire night itself....or New Years eve come to think of it.

Piper may "seems to get on ok with" the other dogs under normal circumstances but when she's absolutely terified with no one to comfort her there may well be problems.

Are the other dogs 100% ok with fireworks? It may be worth going round there with Piper and staying with her....maybe their calm attitude will help.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally if I had a dog that was "PETRIFIED" of fireworks I would not even consider leaving the house the weekend before/after bonfire night, bonfire night itself....or New Years eve come to think of it.

Piper may "seems to get on ok with" the other dogs under normal circumstances but when she's absolutely terified with no one to comfort her there may well be problems.

Are the other dogs 100% ok with fireworks? It may be worth going round there with Piper and staying with her....maybe their calm attitude will help.
This is what I am thinking. To be honest I am not bothered by fireworks, so happy to miss the display. However in two minds about whether it would help being with the other dogs or make her worse.

And new years eve i will likely be home with a newborn so def not out then!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I personally would stay with her in her own home. Lily is petrified too and we won't be leaving her alone at all over the next few weeks in the evenings. Branston isn't scared but that makes no difference to her whatsoever. Next weekend they will be going to stay at my parents house, which is better for her as they live out in the sticks and never hear any fireworks :)

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Amber is scared and Bonnie isn't scared, the fact Bonnie isn't scared doesn't affect Amber and she still takes ages to calm down afterwards unless she has medication.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Amber is scared and Bonnie isn't scared, the fact Bonnie isn't scared doesn't affect Amber and she still takes ages to calm down afterwards unless she has medication.
Yes I`ve got similar thing, the one that is scared does not seem to be helped by the ones that are not scared, likewise the one that is scared does not seem to bother the ones that aren`t scared - if that makes sense:eek:

I would probably keep her in familar surroundings at your own home.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well hubby took her for a walk tonight (minus the thundershirt I had just bought!) and 5 mins in I heard fireworks. Thought they would be straight back but he continued on and took her to the field and let her off the lead (not what I would do) and started playing with a new glow in the dark ball we had bought. He said she was a little nervous, but once he started playing with the ball its like she forgot the fireworks.

He then brought her home and started cooking his steak and she got all scared by the sizzling sound (always scares her) so we put the thundershirt on her and she seemed to calm down.

She is a very odd dog.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decision made - she has her thunder shirt on and I have sprayed DAP in her bed and she is pacing the house shaking and panting with the displays going on locally, so going to stay at home with her. Gonna miss some awesome stew :(

I hate seeing her like this and wish I knew what could fix it. If only I could explain to her its ok.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I have one who is terrified of fireworks. I've got to work tonight and the village are having a display. So I've asked the OH to stay in. I've heard a couple but she seems to be doing Ok so far. Normally we have cowering under the table, weeing herself and shaking. We have her over the fire work season because at her other home they're going off all over the place, here it seems to be one display and a few homes far away. Being semi rural it's Ok. At her other home she's smack bang in the middle of loads of homes.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Willow's the same, she's been panting and pacing already. She doesn't like fireworks at all - Harvey not bothered at all with them, nothing disturbs his snoring. I think it's going to be a long few nights

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm wondering if the thunder shirt isnt on tight enough? I also had some herbal drops to calm them down which i gave her and havent seemed to work. Wont eat her food - but did steal a small amount of chocolate (little horror)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My Charlie is scared of fire works so i stay in all around bonfire night & new years eve.. I so wish she was ok but she isn't so we just deal with it. Are the thundershirts good? What do they do?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Charlie is scared of fire works so i stay in all around bonfire night & new years eve.. I so wish she was ok but she isn't so we just deal with it. Are the thundershirts good? What do they do?
I have heard a lot about them on here and we went on the website to have a look. They are 'coats' that go on quite tight, I think its meant to calm them (like when cattle go through things on the way to slaughter and it calms them down).

She's now sat on her favourite chair (which I sprayed with DAP) but still panting. :(

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I built bruno a little cave den last year of blankets etc when the idiot other half took him out after dark and a firework scared him- also had the tv/radio turned UP! and just tried to act as normal as possible... he seemed to really settle in the 'cave' and soon fell asleep- trying to get him out at pee o clock was risky- poor boy.

I sympathise but you're doing right staying at home.

We moved this year so we have new house wi double glazing... so far we're trying to totally avoid any night time walks after dark with potential fireworks- as i type there are bangs going off around, OH is in kitchen cooking (lucky me :) ), i'm watching the 1 show (rock and roll friday) and the dug is by the radiator snoozing whilst fireworks burst out the window above him- oblivious.
Here's hoping it lasts!

Good luck to you- ring and make them keep you some stew!!!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I built bruno a little cave den last year of blankets etc when the idiot other half took him out after dark and a firework scared him- also had the tv/radio turned UP! and just tried to act as normal as possible... he seemed to really settle in the 'cave' and soon fell asleep- trying to get him out at pee o clock was risky- poor boy.

I sympathise but you're doing right staying at home.

We moved this year so we have new house wi double glazing... so far we're trying to totally avoid any night time walks after dark with potential fireworks- as i type there are bangs going off around, OH is in kitchen cooking (lucky me :) ), i'm watching the 1 show (rock and roll friday) and the dug is by the radiator snoozing whilst fireworks burst out the window above him- oblivious.
Here's hoping it lasts!

Good luck to you- ring and make them keep you some stew!!!
Hubby is going to bring the dog crate down when he gets home from work (I am struggling to just walk down the stairs these days i am so huge, let alone carry a big dog crate) so will set that up shortly.

Used to have zylkene for the cats, may go in tomorrow and pick some up.

Its bizarre the things that scare her - we cant fry things in a frying pan withour her getting scared at the noise.

I hate this time of year.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hubby is going to bring the dog crate down when he gets home from work (I am struggling to just walk down the stairs these days i am so huge, let alone carry a big dog crate) so will set that up shortly.

Used to have zylkene for the cats, may go in tomorrow and pick some up.

Its bizarre the things that scare her - we cant fry things in a frying pan withour her getting scared at the noise.

I hate this time of year.
Aw i sympathise indeed- poor thing! All the best, think tomorrow night's going to be the worst around here!

·
Registered
278 Posts
We had our fireworks night on 31st. 1 of our dogs is fine the other terrified.She wore the thundershirt, i think it helped a little but she was still in a mess. wouldnt eat ,pee, not interested in her ball which she is obsessed with. I would stay with your dog if u can.This time of year is a nitemare.Even 2day one firework went off wen we were in the park and that was it ,walk over. had to practically drag her to car. We sedated the last dog we had and i think next yr we,ll do the same with Lily.Then she can just sleep thru it.

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
There's a big firework display going on just up the road now.

My older three aren't particularly bothered but I did wonder what the little rescue collie would make of it. She barked a bit and looked worried but as the others are not reacting she's now asleep on my bed....:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.