Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Downside of Country walks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Fleur, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

A few people have commented about being jealous that some members of PF have countryside close by - so I thought I'd do a thread on the disadvantages of my regular country walk :D

1st there are the muddy paths - that need to be negotiated with out falling ass over tit :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the long narrow paths that make it difficult to pass other dogs - and to look at open fields that you can't let the dogs run around in :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when I get to the cliff tops I can't actually see the view because the bushes have grown up so high I have to walk down a path like this

[​IMG]

Then when I do get to an opening it's so misty- no crystal seas or sunshine for me to photograph :crying:

[​IMG]

And then there's Fawley oil refinery in the back ground :nonod:

[​IMG]

Why bother with all that mud when the beach is so close by I her you say? ;)

A good reason to me fishermens bait boxes :eek: - no lettting Zipper off lead

[​IMG]

And then when it's all over I have 2 very filthy dogs to get home :cool:

[​IMG]

But inbetween the mud they did manage a little run around :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Can I add to your downsides of country walks?

*Livestock - namely cattle because I refuse to walk through a field of cattle. I also refuse to walk through horse fields. Sheep are not a problem.
    *Barbed wire - nasty, evil stuff which causes so many injuries and should be banned IMO
    *Bird scarers - my collies are afraid of the noise and Jed in particular will do a runner if one goes off and then we have to wipe that particular walk off our list as he refuses to walk there again.

3. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Oh I do agree with you Fleur, its hard work being able to walk the dogs in the countryside and by the coast ...all that mud and not so ideal views... traumatic isnt it!

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Meh - give me the thick mud, puddles, long grass, livestock, out of bounds fields and wildlife of countryside walks over the other dog walkers, broken glass, rubbish, children, bikes and footballs of park/street walks anyday! :eek:

I couldn't be doing with all that! If I didn't live in the countryside I don't think I'd have dogs :eek:

5. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Despite it all Lily and Zipper look liek they had a great time.
    :smile5::)

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

The major upside of my country walk today was seeing some bullfinches flitting about in the trees just as I got back to the car. I think they are my favourite bird and not a common site round here (put it this way, my friend has gone on birdwatching trips and has never seen a bullfinch!)

But I agree with SixStar, the pros of country walks definitely outweigh the cons and some of the wildlife i've sighted has been fantastic.

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

No livestock where I normally walk - crop fields only.
    I do have to be careful early mornings if the Farmer is out shooting rabbits :eek:

Very - think I need a glass of wine to get over it all ;)

I'm on the edge of Suburbia and I think I propably wouldn't have dogs if I was city centre - and the upsides do outway the downsides but don't tell everyone :eek:

As long as there is a bird to chase and a tennis ball to catch my 2 are always happy :D Both been sleeping ever since we got back :)

8. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

And then there is the rolling in stuff.
    Flint found the remains of a seagull today and they both had to have a roll in it.:eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dead seagulls I can live with,but dead sheep.:w00t: this is Craven trying to bring me a sheep carcass,he was running around with it's leg in his mouth shortly after this,until I persuaded him that a biscuit is a lot better.;)

[​IMG]

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Fab photo's , I couldn't walk Enzo down that puddle path on the lead he would barge me straight in so he wouldn't get his feet wet :rolleyes:

10. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Lovely photos!:)

I have to agree, there is downsides to country walks too although I agree with SixStar if I didn't live in the country I'd most probably have only 1 dog, if any. :eek:

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Dunno what's the matter with all you wussy people :rolleyes:

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

No way would I walk down those type of paths with Dillon, it would take hours to clean and dry him. :D

But it does look fun.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes my heart bleeds for you too Fleur (and Leane77)....

We get mud here and bird scarers but sadly not compensated by the wonderful views.

Oh forgot to say, I do get a wonderful view of 8 wind turbines in the distance - lucky me.

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

You forgot to mention horses!!!! hard work meeting a horse on a little narrow track :eek: when you have two dogs

15. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I have country walks a few mins drive away (can't walk Jaz there and back anymore) but I would love to be near the sea :)

Suppose I'm lucky because I have bullfinches in my garden sometimes.

16. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

Try walking along mud paths like that with a black and tan cocker spaniel and trying to keep him half clean :rolleyes: It has been terrible this year trying to keep him clean and tangle free while wlaking in 4 inch dead mud. My favourite walk to take Sonny down by the river has been ruined by a dog walker who I always seem to met (will his dog only actually seen the owner once) who does not even attempt to recall his dog as "she is only a pup and only wants to play". Yes Sonny rolls in things as well and tries to eat seaweed and shells at the beach. Sonny does not mind bird scares or gun shots for that matter as he is used to them but still keeps an eye on him incase he bolts.

But we do have nice views (when I can see them), open spaces and fields to run around in (when he is not trying to escape under fences) and the red squirrels and Buzzards/birds of prey I see on a regular bases - oh and not many other people or dogs about usually :D

17. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Fleur and Cravensmum- fab pics as always.:D

18. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Great pics fleur :D
    i think Id lose my lil pup in those puddles :lol: and like pointermum Percy would defo push me in !!

19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

This is why I particularly picked breeds suitable for urban/town living!:D Much as I would love a Lab or a collie or a Springer I wouldnt believe it could be truly happy living here.:(
    I bet Lily was covered after that walk!! My walk the other day to our country park got me plastered in mud too. At one point I actually climbed along the bridal path fence coz the path had completely disappeared under a quagmire!!:) And my little shortarse dog was sticky and gooey from the chest down.:rolleyes:

Maybe I have the best of both worlds then... the dogs dont need to be roaming through the countryside every day to be happy but they sure do enjoy a nice long country walk!!:)

20. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

This is my 'downside'- I put up with it every day with my lot. They're self cleaning mostly- I wish the house was:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shazach likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice