Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the dog that bit me has attacked again

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by metaldog, Feb 9, 2012.

1. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

My friend texted me earlier to tell me that the dog is running around without a collar, off lead and without it's muzzle on the park. It has attacked her dog and torn a chunk out of his ear. I've strongly advised her to contact the police as they are not keeping to the dog control notice :(

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is awful; poor dog having such an irresponsible owner :mad: and your poor friend's dog being attacked. Best wishes for his recovery.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

I just don't know what to say other than its owners are just damned irresponsible. Hope your friends dog recovers quickly and she reports it to the police before it does any more damage. xx

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hope your friends dog is ok :( I can't stand people who wont take control of their dogs, I would defo call the police if it was me.

5. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

When you contact the police to report the incident:

First: Give the details etc.

Second: Ask what steps they will be taking.

Third: Ask the name of the senior officer dealing with this case, if they fob you off or ask you why you want to know say that it for the letter you are writing to the IPCC. Then ask their name as you are contacting the local newspaper too. If they fluster at that point say, "Are you refusing to give me your name?"

This gets your call noticed and alerted to the next level up rather then left in the low priority tray (on a computer in real life but set at low priority and treated as "information only" when you just report misc dog rather than "Action required" because this is a case that is drawing press coverage).

We await developments.

6. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

For goodness sake. I hope your friends dog is ok and that these numpties get the book thrown at them.

7. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice, my friend will be reporting it and I'll pass this onto her.

It attacked my dog and bit my arm back in June and the owners were told by the police they must have the dog muzzled at all times. They are not complying with this and it's not good enough. Would it be a good idea for me to contact the police again do you think?

8. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I do hope your friends dog recovers well and the police take it seriously.

:( such a shame to read, I would like to think the dog simply escaped, but cant help but think sceptically and assume the owners just dont give a hoot and allowed it to run free.

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would if I were you. What a shame the owners are still letting this happen, i just don't understand how people can be so negligent

Hope your friend & her dog are ok

10. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

If you can take photographs of the dog breaking the terms of the gagging-order and present them to the police officer dealing with the case, then yes it is worth doing.

If you are just reporting that there is a dog that should have a muzzle on and it doesn't I doubt anything will happen.

If I were in your situation I would go to the supermarket and buy a few packets of Murray Mints or Werther's Original then stalk the local beat police officer and strike up conversation while walking your dog, sadly the police officer is likely to be a plastic cop (unpaid volunteer that's been given a radio and an arm-band uniform), but they could be an ally and might guide/support your efforts. To do this the first step would be your local police web-site, they often have contact details of the police "officer" that is tasked as the contact for a particular area or ward.

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It was off lead and unmuzzled on the big park near my house :( It had it's human with it but as it has zero recall it might as well be on it's own.

I'm a bit scared to go down there for a walk and I'm not usually scared of anything.

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If only I had the time to stalk the police :lol: I've got a very busy schedule you know :p ;)

I have however, put my camera in my walking bag so if I do see it I can get evidence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice