Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The dog slept on my desk at work

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littledigger, Jun 7, 2010.

1. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

I bring our Charlie with me to work and normally she sleeps through most of the day because she is a little bored, except for the times i take her for a toilet break. Today, i put her bed on my desk and put her in it. She loved it. She did the cute - I'm sucking my bed, thing she does, and whenever i wanted, i simply leaned over and kissed her on the head. Luckily i have a large desk. She was in heaven with all the attention she got today.

2. leashedForLife

hey, digger! :--)

it is perfectly normal for dogs who are not hungry, not bored, and not anxious to sleep - they are content,
    not depressed. ;) they are perfectly happy.

OTOH, having a dog who is glued to U 7-days a week, interacting whenever You feel the need to kiss her...
    or whatever, can emotionally cripple Ur dog - there will most-likely come a day, sometime, when due to circs outside
    of Ur personal control, U cannot take her to work with U... nor can she hang-out wherever U might be, which could
    be in hospital, at a rehab after an accident, at a new job, needed to help a family member, whatever the new-circs
    might be.

in my opinion, it is better to leave her contentedly on the floor, and also leave her at home now + again -
    so that whatever comes, she can cope. if U are her be-all + end-all, if U are gone, she will be extremely distraught.
    this IMO is not a kindly legacy. making our much-loved pets as flexible + confident + self-secure as we can,
    makes their lives + their futures safer - we cannot know what is ahead.

thats why Every dog needs to learn to walk on a leash,
    Every dog needs to be housetrained, even if they live in a kennel I/O,
    Every dog needs to tolerate handling by strangers - like the vet;
    Every dog needs some minimal manners in public.

Opinion- Alert - read at ones own risk... ;)
    if we raise our puppies to be self-confident, able to be solo without distress, and comfortable in public on a leash;
    if we maximize their learning about the world + creatures in it... if we have our pups toilet on gravel, tanbark, grass,
    concrete, tarmac, sand, dirt + any other available surface... then As Adults, they should be able to move from
    a 450-acre spread on Texas to a 900-square-foot studio in Manhattan, and cope - well.
    that IMO is a legacy worth working toward. :thumbup: we cannot predict our futures - we can only know things change.
    our dogs should be as prepared as possible for anything Life throws at us, or them.

how old is she, hun?
    unless she is a geriatric dame, liable to toddle off the old world at any time, if she were my dog,
    i would be giving her some more space in her life for something besides me as a 5th-leg.
    there is nothing wrong with companionship - but independence is good, too.

feel free to ignore me or throw verbal darts, this is only my opinion - but my poor Akita-girl moved 5 times
    with me in 6-months, and that was NOT planned - she coped admirably. it was very stressful, and if i had been
    dealing with her major-stress as well as my own, i don;t think i could have borne it; i would have been overwhelmed.
    as it was, we made it, together - and mostly OK, too.

the Scout motto - Be prepared... does not come amiss.
    cheers,
    --- terry

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Wow, Charlie sounds so cute!!
    My Chi's often sleep on my desk (sometimes in front of the keyboard, sometimes tucked down my jumper!!):D. Its one of the joys of having a toy dog!:thumbup:
    They are also happy to be left all day with a friend or on their own for up to 6hrs (rarely) so I dont think being cuddled and kissed constantly affects my lot!LOL:)

4. leashedForLife

thats important, :thumbup: good on ya!

5. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I must have the least hungry/bored/anxious dog in the world!! Or maybe just the laziest.......

:)

6. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Cuuute :D Bess is like my little shadow and often sleeps across me when im on my laptop!1

7. leashedForLife

wanna have a contest? :lol: dogs will sleep if they are not bothered by too much (energy, noise, ___ )
    or too little (food, exercise, social connection, ___ ) for 16 to 18 hours of the day -
    thats the only reason they can cope with our modern-human lives.

it also helps that their activity-pattern is mostly crepuscular: AM + evening, which syncs nicely with most
    daytime-jobs - during the middle of the day, if nothing is happening, they nap or content themselves with chewing.

if they were nocturnal like hedgehogs, gerbils + domestic-rats, this would not work well at all -
    a hamster can run a wheel at 10-pm, but no-one that i know wants to run agility at 10-pm :lol:

bless the beasts,
    --- terry

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thank goodness they do like to sleep so much! It explains why they can sleep all night then when I get home from a nightshift jump on the sofa with me and sleep all day too!:thumbup:

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Well I simply don't believe it ... until there is photographic proof of such cuteness :D

10. littledigger

Wow.

Thanks Terry. When you don't know, you just don't know. I love our Charlie and can see your advise makes sense. If i can make sure she is happy, then i'm happy too. She is 7 months old, and for years i was told that dogs need to be looked after all day and if you are working all day then you should not have a dog.

Could you give me more clarification. Should i leave her at home, alone a day or two per week, while i'm at work?

cheers

Nick

11. leashedForLife

hey, nick! :--)

she is quite young, so yes its important she develop confidence to be solo, but its not a crisis -
    don;t panic, just start easing her into being solo at home for short periods - maybe while U cook, she can be tethered or baby-gated out of the room with a chewie, a raw-carrot or edible-bone
    edible bones, nylabone - Google Search

be sure she has pottied first, and if she is at all distressed, park her where she can SEE as U work, but not actually
    enter the space - even 8-ft away in the same room is a start. U don;t want to upset her, thats not the idea -
    just introduce the concept that U two are not conjoined twins, and build her independence over time.

15 to 20-mins is fine; keeping her relaxed + calm + happy is the key, so listen for her if she is out of sight;
    U don;t want whining, or an inability to settle - she should contentedly lie down and beaver-away on her chewie,
    very relaxed.

a tether in the same room is one option - even tying her to a heavy sofa or other immovable object,
    its only to keep her from leaping on Ur lap, following U if U leave the room for 2-mins to get a drink, etc.
    slow + steady - just build her tolerance. ;)

she sounds like a lovely pup, and this should be a very minor hiccup - in a week or so, she should easily be content
    in her crate at home, for a 2-hour shopping trip or another errand, while U are busy elsewhere.

don;t feel guilty, hun - U just got an inaccurate impression, thats all. :001_cool: dogs are very resilient + forgiving!
    she should be just fine. all my best,
    --- terry

12. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

You are so lucky you can take your dog to work, are you in a position where you can leave her so she's used to spending time on her own? We're going through hell right now because my OH used to take our 1 year old lab to work with him everyday since he was 12 weeks old, the last 3 weeks he's not been able to have him and the destruction to the house and stress it's causing us and the dog is not nice. I wish we'd worked on him more when he was little so he didn't mind staying at home occasionally.

13. littledigger

Taking her to work, for me, is the easy part, but leaving her alone is the bit i need to get used to as well as Charlie. She loves to go to work with me as she loves the other members of staff.

Yesturday, after work, we got her a new bed for work (its too big for my desk) and she loves it because its fake fur lined and really soft. I put her new bed at the other end of the office where she couldn't see me, and she slept on the floor about a metre away, so i moved her bed near me and she is much more relaxed.

Terry, over the next few weeks, i will gradually move her bed away further each day and get her used to being without me (gradually and gently of course).

Thanks lifeizsweet for the other point of view.

getting the correct balance takes care, thanks guys.

Here she is, at work, in her new bed, aw.

Attached Files:

14. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Sweet! I'd love to take Monty to work, but sadly I can't. Nor can my hubby.

But he copes well at home all day and has done since we got him. He has been brought up that way.

And apart from the past week he's been great. He has now decided creating a hole in the wall would be fun! The little B! But we bought spray to put on the wall (so it'll taste awful) and hubby will fix wall on weekend. I think he is teething at the moment, and he isn't getting exercise (due to a pulled muscle), both would explain it.

but on the whole leaving them alone for some time is good, as previously mentioned :)

15. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

love the pic but which one is the draft excluder lol

16. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

God I must have a brilliant dog.

OH never goes anywhere without Phoenix (I go to work 8 hours a day) but even at weekends he spends all day with us. He is one now, and even when we decide to go to the pub for a couple of hours, he is happy being left, never destuctive.

If I could take him to work I would.

Charlie sounds lovely, if you are allowed to take her with you, I dont see a problem.

Even if the time was to come IF you ever need to rehome her, they wouldnt let her go to someone who works, they would try and situate her in a home where someone will be home most of the day.

I say spend as much time as you can with them, you never know when it might end!

Lovely pics and gorgeous doggie!!

#16 Phoenix&Charlie'sMum, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  17. leashedForLife

now she looks just mizrable... poor widdle chick, awww... :cryin:

Just Kidding! :p no way -
    she looks as contentedly snuggled as a clam at high-tide, and unconcerned at being more than arms-length away.
    shes a doll... :)

cheers, hun -
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice