Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the dog listener

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Badger's Mum, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

by Jan fennel?. got it today has anyone read it?

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Yes I found it very informative. However she has a lot of CM views, which I don;t think you like???

A lot of people think she is outdated, but I found her book very helpful x

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Where did u get that from??

4. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Haven't read it, but will buy and have a read! I have just read about it on amazon! sounds interesting! :)

5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Read it - found it pretty interesting!

xx

6. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

havent read her book no, but i believe she has the same sort of veiws as CM and i loved his books, very interesting.
    :)

7. Badger's Mum

Had a flick through. Kind of thought she'd be like monty roberts as she seem's friendly with him. I'll let you no what i think. not against all of cm's training just the way he does it if you no what i mean:D

my friend work's in a charity shop i got that and Marley and me for £2. Can pass it on to you when i've read it if you want?:D

8. Not being argumentive! but thnk it may be the other way around! CM having her views!

9. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Yes please xxxx

10. Badger's Mum

So is she the same as him then.

11. The other way around!!! So you should love jan fennel then!! BUT personally! I don't see it!!!!!
    lol
    DT

12. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Dunno watched some of her shows, just never appealed to me. I Like Cm, Victoria, Mic Martin and the one dude who i can't remember but used to have a real go at the owners and made them do various things even saying to one woman not to talk to her dog at all for a week or something?

13. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

A lot of what she says in her books makes sense.:)
    But there is a lot of stuff that is rather silly.:rolleyes:
    I met her a couple of years ago she did a talk to a small group of people:)
    That was good and to hear her views they make more sense than a lot in her books.:D
    She was very interesting to listen to. :)

14. Badger's Mum

Going to try and find time to read a bit of it today, If the dog's will let me:rolleyes: :D

15. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Ok, well i watched and read CM books and programmes before id even heard of Jan so thats why i wrote it like that. Doesnt really matter who had whos views first...they are more or less both the same!! Good i think...makes sense!

:)

16. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

I borrowed it from my mum and found it very interesting - for example, one of the main parts of her motivation for wanting to help dogs and their owners was that she had a pet when she was younger (I think it was a GSD) that turned aggressive and had to be put down - she now realises that the pet might have been saved if it had had the techniques she now uses applied to it back then, and so she wants to help other people with problem cases to keep their pets because she was too late to save hers. That's a good motivation in my view, even though I may not aggree with all of her thinking :)

17. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Her technique is nothing like CM's, the only similarity is pack hierachy theory. In fact she is quite damning of CM's techniques. I had a Dog Listener come out for my eldest and have been to a seminar by her.

18. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

her techniques are all old fashioned, i know some one who trained under her as a behaviourist, charges about 300 quid to come and see you fo a couple of hours, give you a quick lecture on pack mentality and then leave, thats all you get!!

she basicly says to eat before your dog (pretend to eat the dogs food), go through doors first, dont let them on the furniture,dont let them sit higher then you, all the old stuff that most people today regard as bullsh*t.

she also says to ignore your dog almost completly, unlessd you want attention!! i hate that, id rather my dog come to me when its in the mood to play otherwise i might pi** it off if it doesnt want to play when i do.

you can spot a jann fenneled dog right away as they are usually depressed empty shells that IMO do not act like dogs. if i was you id take the book back, not worth reading unless you want a good laugh!

sorry but she gets me real mad!!!! :cursing:

19. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Come and see my bookcase :D

Jan is a great character and her books are very informative. If you read the forward to Jan's book, you will see how closely she worked with Monty Roberts the famous horse whisperer.

I particularly loved 'The Lost Language', but then everyone knows that I believe in order to truly understand dogs, we should look to the species from where they came. Hence my wolf study at Whipsnade.

20. Badger's Mum

I've been to see monty roberts, go if you get the chance:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice