UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scrolling through lots of photos I came across a few pics of a little working bred Lab I helped out with for a while, she stayed with me and the girls for about six months, so she's about 6-12 months in the pics, while her owner was sorting out her kennels. She isn't KC registered, as she's bred to type, as a lot of purely working dogs are, here's a few photos of her with my girls, the difference in size and substance is quite remarkable!

Her biggest failing by far was eating dog poo, even though she was raw fed whilst she was with me, I couldn't ever cure her of that one!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Scrolling through lots of photos I came across a few pics of a little working bred Lab I helped out with for a while, she stayed with me and the girls for about six months, so she's about 6-12 months in the pics, while her owner was sorting out her kennels. She isn't KC registered, as she's bred to type, as a lot of purely working dogs are, here's a few photos of her with my girls, the difference in size and substance is quite remarkable!

Her biggest failing by far was eating dog poo, even though she was raw fed whilst she was with me, I couldn't ever cure her of that one!
Cant see the pics:( dont understand what you mean not KC reg cos she's bred to type:confused::confused::confused::confused

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant see the pics:( dont understand what you mean not KC reg cos she's bred to type:confused::confused::confused::confused
She's not KC registered because not everyone who simply works their dogs, bothers registering litters with the KC, they simply breed to type, ie use another Labrador. KC registration on it's own does not make a dog a particular breed type, it makes it a registered KC pedigree, that's all. There's plenty of folk who don't want to compete or show, and don't therefore feel it necessary to register their dogs. My main gripe is that they also know nothing about health testing but that's a completely separate argument.

The pics are there for me. :)

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
There are a few Labs round here who look like working type but they're bloody enormous! They're much taller than Spencer who's not exactly a tiny Labrador but also have a much lighter build and a much floppier, looser way of moving. I have no idea whether they ARE working type, they just look like the working type I've seen pics of only really tall.

Lovely pics by the way :)

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I used to look after a very small one like that. I wondered why she was so small. She very sadly died while she was with me from a previously undiagnosed liver tumour. I noticed she was very yellow the morning after she was dropped off with me and 2 days later she was dead.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The OH's working bred Labs are much taller than this girl, she is very much the extreme end of the stick and yes, she is whippety, but then as she will never see a show ring, and isn't KC registered, it doesn't matter at all to her owner who is a gamekeeper, what matters most is that she does her job, and she's a cracking little worker!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have to say that if I did not know otherwise I would assume she (the black dog) was a crossbreed of some sort, maybe a Border Collie x Lab. Your chocolate bitch is the type of face I associate with a Lab whereas the black bitch retains little to no 'type' in the face.

I would not trade working ability for looks.

As they say, "life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog".

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to say that if I did not know otherwise I would assume she (the black dog) was a crossbreed of some sort, maybe a Border Collie x Lab. Your chocolate bitch is the type of face I associate with a Lab whereas the black bitch retains little to no 'type' in the face.

I would not trade working ability for looks.

I agree to some extent, but for some people looks are the last thing on their list that matters, in a similar way that some have no idea about actual ability and the way a dog works (or doesn't). I like both in mine, because as you've so aptly put, life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog, but if I can add to that, there's no point owning a dog that is the best looking example of a breed that can't work.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To me the working bred dogs are much better looking! (not offending anyone)

I will always have workers.
I think there's a difference with your girl though, she's bred by someone who competes as well as works their dogs, and she has some lovely looking Labs.

I thought I might mention as well that technically my bitches aren't fully show bred either, they're more than half show bred, but a bit of a mix in there as well.

The best looking working bred Labrador I have seen, and I have seen him in the flesh is Contender Casanova, owned by Natasha Bunjoch, he is a super looking boy, exactly my kind of Labrador! Natasha did take him in the gamekeepers ring but unfortunately didn't get placed, although another online friend took her bitch in the gamekeepers ring, can't remember if it was this year or last, and came first, that was Jill Parson's of Ettinsmoor. Funnily enough, I was due to have that bitch pup, but my situation had changed, so had Jills, and she ended up keeping her, and I think it all worked out for the best as I'd never have achieved it and Jill deserves the success.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I think there's a difference with your girl though, she's bred by someone who competes as well as works their dogs, and she has some lovely looking Labs.

I thought I might mention as well that technically my bitches aren't fully show bred either, they're more than half show bred, but a bit of a mix in there as well.

The best looking working bred Labrador I have seen, and I have seen him in the flesh is Contender Casanova, owned by Natasha Bunjoch, he is a super looking boy, exactly my kind of Labrador! Natasha did take him in the gamekeepers ring but unfortunately didn't get placed, although another online friend took her bitch in the gamekeepers ring, can't remember if it was this year or last, and came first, that was Jill Parson's of Ettinsmoor. Funnily enough, I was due to have that bitch pup, but my situation had changed, so had Jills, and she ended up keeping her, and I think it all worked out for the best as I'd never have achieved it and Jill deserves the success.
Are you sure you are thinking of my dog? Her breeder only has had 2 litters... you may be talking about the stud owner though - Riversway kennels?
I didn't even notice the working side in there! I guess some pups would take on more of the show than the workers I suppose.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't even notice the working side in there! I guess some pups would take on more of the show than the workers I suppose.
With mine? There's only a smattering of working, mum is a mixture of show, working and pet bred lines.

Most of the halfies I've seen are much leggier and longer than the show type you'd imagine.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
With mine? There's only a smattering of working, mum is a mixture of show, working and pet bred lines.

Most of the halfies I've seen are much leggier and longer than the show type you'd imagine.
Yes I meant yours :)
Oh okay.
I am not sure if I have seen many halfies tbh. Wylanbriar breeds halfs doesn't she? I would consider getting a Lab from her though!

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I meant yours :)
Oh okay.
I am not sure if I have seen many halfies tbh. Wylanbriar breeds halfs doesn't she? I would consider getting a Lab from her though!
Di has show and working bred, and yes, she has a few inbetweenies, not sure how many atm, but I know she's done very well with her young working bred bitch, Otter.

You'll have to come along to the charity gundog day next year, Di will most likely be going along with a couple of her dogs.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure you are thinking of my dog? Her breeder only has had 2 litters... you may be talking about the stud owner though - Riversway kennels?
Sorry, missed the first bit, I thought the breeder of your girl had more than one dog? Maybe I'm going mad and have forgotten, I do know who they are but I do tend to get a lot of folks mixed up I'm afraid, it happens with old age! :eek:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Just had a look at Casanova, now that is a what a Lab should look like:D:D

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
That's a pretty little face! Looks like a little male worker I met over the summer - he had the broader male face but still tiny!
I think she's far from ugly - would rather have her on my sofa than one of the waddlers from Crufts (was amazed at how many were overweight as opposed to just chunky when I saw them in person).

Just looked him up, he's a stunner :D Got some shared lines with Scooter and he's got a similar look to him. Definitely my kind of Lab but will always have the biggest soft spot for the blacks.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Di has show and working bred, and yes, she has a few inbetweenies, not sure how many atm, but I know she's done very well with her young working bred bitch, Otter.

You'll have to come along to the charity gundog day next year, Di will most likely be going along with a couple of her dogs.
I love her full working pale yellow boy - name escapes me!
I will :)

Sorry, missed the first bit, I thought the breeder of your girl had more than one dog? Maybe I'm going mad and have forgotten, I do know who they are but I do tend to get a lot of folks mixed up I'm afraid, it happens with old age! :eek:
Nope only the one! well she did have a Jack Russell too! ha ha :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
My sister has 2 I'll call them pet labs, (just easier for me to explain with a headache :D ) and they're the normal size and shape. Not over weight because her youngest who's now 11 was blighted with terrible elbows :(
But she occasionally gets to look after Penny her sister in laws working lab who is half the size and twice as bright ;) They have a copy of I think it's horse and hound mag that she once was featured in :)

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I got asked the other night whether Spen was a drake head Labrador. Said we had no idea, we just got him from someone who didn't want him any more. Off to google it now coz I've still no bloody idea what one is and this thread has just reminded me of it lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.