Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The dangers of allowing to play with dangling string toys unsupervised.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Baby British, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

Last week I had not long climbed into bed and fallen asleep when I was awoken by frantic meowing. My first thought was that Marley and Layla were having a tiff so I got up and padded downstairs in the direction of the commotion. I fully expected to catch the two cats having a set to so began to panic when I came across Marley stood alone in the hallway. I could still hear Layla's blood curdling meows.

Some time ago I bought Marley a Da bird for his birthday. The feathers had long since met their demise and the rod had been propped along some key hooks in the hallway with the string dangling down. When the mood took her Layla still liked to play with the string.

Standing now wide awake in the darkness of the hallway I turned my head in the direction of the key hooks and caught a glimpse of Layla's writhing form lifted off the floor the Da bird string around her neck in effect hanging her! In sheer panic I lifted up the rod and poor Layla lifted up with it :frown: I quickly lowered her onto the floor and in that moment she managed to free herself. Thank God she was unharmed and no worse for her ordeal but I had to remain there on the floor for a good 5 minutes to regain my composure. Needless to say the first thing I did when I managed to get up was put the Da Bird straight in the bin. We were going away the following day leaving the cats alone with my mum just popping in to feed them. I'm so grateful that this happened when we were home and I was actually woken up by Layla's crys.

The Da bird really is a fantastic cat toy but please only ever allow your cat to play with it under supervision. My two loved theirs but sadly I don't think I'll be replacing it as I'd never get the image of Layla out of my head :(

moomoowawa likes this.
  2. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

Well Said. Our Indie absolutely goes Mad for the Damn thing, :mad: He just wants to rip it apart, I have to put it away in a cupboard and he Knows its there, If me or the wife has to get into the cupboard for any reason He knows the sound of that door opening and he,s in there like a shot.

I.ll be keeping a close eye on his fascination with this Da bird thing. So, Good point there.

3. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awww im glade you cat ok i think i would panic if i found my cat like that it a good job you was there i dont let my cats play with string toys unless im with them because knowing them they would eat it lol

4. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

wow it is so lucky you heard her.

I keep the da bird in a cupboard but the other string toys i keep out. i might put those away now too

5. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

Oh goodness. Thank god she is ok and that you were in the house at the time. Thanks for the warning. I'm not sure what the Da Bird toy is but I will make sure I never leave any sting toy unattended.

6. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Soooooooo glad you awoke and she is ok. Thanks for the tip.

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Oh my, sooo glad you heard her screams :scared:

8. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

This goes for string as well. Apparently a cat will eat string and it can get twisted in his gut and obstruct it.

9. Catlover2

Catlover2 PetForums Member

I have to watch mine with any sort of bag with handles. I've left my bags for life in the hallway before to go back into the car and they're immediately playing inside the bags. Problem is when they go through the handles and end up twisting/play flighting the handles get tighter and tighter and I have actually caught one of them running around with the bag tightly attached.

moomoowawa likes this.
  10. PitterPatter

PitterPatter PetForums Newbie

OMG. So glad your cat is ok. That must have been very scary. Thanks for the tip, deffo making sure I'm extra careful.

11. Jesbenji1983

Jesbenji1983 PetForums Newbie

Signed up just so I could post this warning about this toy, and probably others with similar rod/handle.

I picked this toy up just now and suddenly my fingers started stinging. My kitten has been chewing the rod and little flecks of the coating has been damaged. They are now lodged in my fingers - I hate to think what my kitten has been ingesting or what could be stuck in her tongue/gums. I'll be throwing this toy out and will never by a metal coated rod toy again!!!!

12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

This is one old thread with a message that does need to be revived.
    Not just toys with strings etc but curtain and blind cords, string handles on bags etc all present a danger, especially to young and playful cats.
    Please be careful

AmsMam, Ringypie, Soozi and 2 others like this.
  13. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Thank God the cat was saved!!I always keep Da Bird locked away and only brought out when I'm there. I prefer using ribbon toys like the rainbow cat dancer and a leopard print ribbon one, the cats seem to like them just as much, and they certainly seem a bit safer. Even so, i would only use any dangle toys when supervising the cats!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice