UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days Lucky has been trying to get over next doors wall. She has been whining, huffing and puffing but I just couldn't work out why :confused:

Well, I finally found the reason. When she started doing it again the other day, I looked out the window only to see this :eek:

Next door is always throwing food out for the birds but have unwillingly attracted this big guy. I hope he buggers off soon because Lucky is going crazy. I have had to just put her out for pee/poop breaks only the past few days because of it.
I have just let her out and all is fine now so hopefully he is gone.

Maybe he will come over our garden so she can catch him. Doubt he will be that silly though.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
We've so many around here Bess doesn't bother. The trouble with having farmland front and back is when they cut the fields the buggers have no where to go so they come into the gardens. When the evenings were lighter there was one that used to stroll around our patio.

We used to have chickens and worried that we were attracting them, but we've lost them all now, and still the rats come though I don't even feed the birds

Unfortunately ones taken up residence in the garage. It's very clever as it eats mars bars and manages to avoid the trap!

G

·
Yuk! Where there is one in view there is usually a few in hiding, I swear they have invisibility cloaks!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Yes, I think its better that I do. What's the worst they can say :eek:

They have a cat so its surprising that he's hanging around.
Just be a little careful what you say ;), we were unreasonably upset with the way our neighbours informed us of a new local resident, they made it sound like it was 'our' rat :eek: having just moved from a rat infested farm house we were a little sensitive.

Bessiedog that does sound like a clever rat, we got back from a camping trip to find a note from the same neighbours, they must have too much time on their hands :rolleyes:, to tell us to watch our toes when we went in the garage as they had seen a hedgehog limbo under the crack in the door.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be a little careful what you say ;), we were unreasonably upset with the way our neighbours informed us of a new local resident, they made it sound like it was 'our' rat :eek: having just moved from a rat infested farm house we were a little sensitive.

Bessiedog that does sound like a clever rat, we got back from a camping trip to find a note from the same neighbours, they must have too much time on their hands :rolleyes:, to tell us to watch our toes when we went in the garage as they had seen a hedgehog limbo under the crack in the door.
I will make sure I'm subtle :)

I don't want them to think I'm nosy (even though I sort of am)

·
Premium Member
33,952 Posts
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: yes I think you should tell them, that the problem when you feel the birds.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Gorgeous animal.
It bugs me that people are ok with some wildlife in their garden, but not others. I even know people who feed squirrels, but object to rats!
They're just another british wild mammal, and should be respected like any other.

'Yuk' indeed *sigh* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Gorgeous animal.
It bugs me that people are ok with some wildlife in their garden, but not others. I even know people who feed squirrels, but object to rats!
They're just another british wild mammal, and should be respected like any other.

Not once did I say wild rats are "yuck". The thread was directed at Lucky's reaction, not my own as stated in the actual title.

I have had numerous pet rats over the years, all loved family pets.

I'm sure Lucky's reaction would be the same be it a rat, squirrel, mouse or hippopotamus in next doors garden.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Gorgeous animal.

It's all very well if they stay in the garden, it's when they take up residence in the house I have an issue with them. Having lived in a rat infested building I have to say it's not pleasant at all. And I'm allergic to them which makes it extra fun.

I wouldn't want squirrels invading my home though. Or birds. Or deer. Or any other wildlife for that matter.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If Lucky was pacing the garden trying to get to any other animal I would have made the same post, it would just be a different animal in the photo, but it just so happened to be a rat.

If it was a wild rabbit I'd have been tempted to let her try and catch it for dinner :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not once did I say wild rats are "yuck". The thread was directed at Lucky's reaction, not my own as stated in the actual title.
No, you didn't say yuk, I never said you did.

But Modwyn did. It bugs me, is all, every time rats are mentioned, someone has to make a comment like 'yuk' or 'hate them'.
Wild rats, to me, are amazing animals and I wish I had them in my garden. They deserve far more respect than they get.

I appreciate you have no problems with rats, but someone always has to say something negative whenever rats are brought up, and its very frustrating, as it would be for people here if someone always said 'yuk' or 'hate those' whenever dogs were mentioned.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
For the past few days Lucky has been trying to get over next doors wall. She has been whining, huffing and puffing but I just couldn't work out why :confused:

Well, I finally found the reason. When she started doing it again the other day, I looked out the window only to see this :eek:

Next door is always throwing food out for the birds but have unwillingly attracted this big guy.
That would give me the heebeejeebies! :eek: Its the size of a small otter!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, you didn't say yuk, I never said you did.

But Modwyn did. It bugs me, is all, every time rats are mentioned, someone has to make a comment like 'yuk' or 'hate them'.
Wild rats, to me, are amazing animals and I wish I had them in my garden. They deserve far more respect than they get.

I appreciate you have no problems with rats, but someone always has to say something negative whenever rats are brought up, and its very frustrating, as it would be for people here if someone always said 'yuk' or 'hate those' whenever dogs were mentioned.
I understand your point completely although everyone has their own opinions regarding different animals :)
I guess its the same when people saying yuck about snakes. My least favourite creatures are ear wigs and I have been known to say yuck when seeing them. They do make me shudder :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.