Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The cost of taking your dog for a cut and blowdry?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by classixuk, Jul 30, 2009.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Just wondering what prices people expect to pay for a cut and blowdry for their dogs?

We have a Pets At Home just recently opened near us, and in the back of the store there is a grooming salon. We asked about prices, and were told it is £35 for a puppy and £50 for a dog! :eek:

I thought this sounded expensive, especially considering that when we asked if they could do our breed (a bouvier) they told us, "Yes. We have books with instructions so it shouldn't be a problem."

Is £50 the normal price for a doggy cut and blow?

We own 2 hairdressing salons and charge less than that for a full wash, cut, blowdry AND a colour included (£33)! We rely on existing knowledge (not books), so why is it so much more expensive for a doggy counterpart?

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I pay 20 pounds for my cocker but shes very cheap and ive used her for 8 years and very happy with her. But saloon will charge around 48 pounds and upto 75/80 for a old english .

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I personally would be wary of anyone telling me that they could do my boy as they have a book with instructions :eek:
    Arnie costs me £28 including nails and ears (cocker spaniel) if I were you get yellow pages out and phone around but before you take your dog go to the place and look around for yourself. Unfortunately I didnt do that I went off other peoples recommendation which for me was a mistake, while his cut was good he was not a happy boy the second place we went to he settled in quite happily and even barked when they didnt get to the phone early enough which is something he does at home. Also the second place didnt cage him before and after haircuts they have a big enough work space for the dogs to be tied underneath the tables. :D

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

:eek: That's why I have a short haired breed that requires minimal grooming ;)

5. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

About £25 for a full bath, cut and dry for a shih tzu.

Not sure why they need books with instructions for! £35 and £50 are a LOT! I bet they have bumped up the price with you having an uncommon dog.

6. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

with regard to the book thing,i have an american cocker,who i don`t keep in full show coat,it`s a little unreasonable to expect groomers to know how to do every single different type of show coat,my groomer has been grooming along time and had never had the oppertunity to clip an american cocker,thats not her fault.so before i took him to her she looked up and studied how to clip them,only for me to tell her i din`t keep him in full show coat.
    But i thanked her anyway for researching.
    She has the book on hand incase she gets a particular breed of dog in that she has never clipped before,the majority of her customers just want it all clipped off anyway.
    But she is very skilled in doing proper clips.
    it certainly didn`t put me off going to her because she had a book there!!

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko is £25 for the full works. Used to be £20 but she's moved out of the pet shop and had her own salon bit built so can't really complain at the price. Plus she's really good with Cheeko's cysts and health problems.

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Paid £20 for Sidney's first cut. The woman insisted he was a Bedlington even though it is quiet obvious he's a cross as he's 5 times the size of a bedlington and even though I told her to NOT cut him with a Bedlington cut she still did!! (And he looked a right plonker!!) Needless to say I told her what for and bought myself some clippers and do it myself now! Paid £30 for the clippers and they've done me the last 3 years so I've saved myself a fortune as he gets shaved twice a year. ;)

9. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our other groomer who my Bichon had always been to since he was 6 months old shut her shop earlier this year because she was having a baby and reopening in a village where she lives which is too far for us so we had to find a new groomer. She used to charge £22 but she didn't do his ears or cut his nails. I tried another groomer but was very unhappy with the results and she charged £25. We are now at a grooming salon that opened last year near us and they charge £27 and they do nails and pull hair out of his ears for that as well as the usual grooming which is quite hard as he's a Bichon. So I'm quite pleased with that price and usually give them £30. The people who do him did used to be the groomers at our local pets at home but decided to open up their own salon instead and they are really busy all the time and you have to wait about 3 weeks for an appointment.

I remember phoning pets at home nearly 5 years ago asking how much they charged for a bichon puppy and it was £26 then.:eek: Needless to say he didn't go there.:laugh:

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

We have a great little centre near us, where you wash Rover yourself.

Luika loves having a shampoo and set especially when the owner gives him a few treats ;):) I think we pay £12.00

11. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

They have something like that here called Wizard of Paws. Never been but I'm planning on going soon :D They've also got a doggy day care so might see how much it is for when I'm at college because one of the days mum won't beable to watch him only dad and I don't think he'll be very good at making sure he goes out for the toilet all the time!

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

We pay *goes to find online converter* £25 for the dogs each so it adds up when you have 4 and that includes the Bouvier. Admittedly they'd never seen one when we went in to get him done and had to go look him up and wanted to put Sophie in a poodle cut. She would look ridiculous so we said just cut it a bit shorter.

13. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Pippin is a toy poodle x cavalier and she costs £25 for a full cut, nails trimmed and ears plucked too. She is always happy to see the groomer - even if she doesnt enjoy the groom that much! We are more concerned that Pippin is happy and the job done is what we expect, although we wont spend stupid money

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice