Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The Control of Dogs [ Scotland] Act

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GSDlover4ever, Jun 9, 2010.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

From the SKC website

1. The bill modernises the law on control of dogs. It enables local authorities to impose measures on the owner, or the person in charge, of a dog where that person has failed to keep the dog under control. It also extends the liability of a person where a dog is dangerously out of control under the dangerous dogs act 1991 to all places, not only public places.

2. The bill repeals the dogs act 1871 (“the 1871 act”). Section 2 of that act enables a court to make an order that a dog has to be kept under control by the owner or destroyed following a complaint that it is dangerous and not kept under proper control. The bill replaces requirements under the 1871 act with a new regime of dog control notices which can be issued by local authorities without application to the courts. The dangerous dogs act 1989, which extends and supplements the 1871 act, is also repealed.

3.Subsection (3) makes provision as to when a dog is out of control. This requires both that the proper person is not keeping the dog under control effectively and consistently, and that the behaviour of the dog, or the size and power of the dog, gives rise to alarm or apprehensiveness on the part of any person. The two parts of the test require to be met. A dog which is large and powerful and which might otherwise cause alarm or apprehensiveness but is kept under control by the proper person is not out of control. Whereas a dog which may not be large or powerful but behaves in a manner which causes alarm or apprehensiveness and the proper person fails to control it effectively is out of control. The alarm and apprehensiveness must also be reasonable. This means that the behaviour of the dog and any resulting alarm or apprehensiveness will be viewed from an objective standpoint.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3/bills/29-dogControl/b29s3-introd.pdf

Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act Information - New dog law passed in Scotland

Control of Dogs Act (Scotland) | Dangerous Dogs Act

:scared: :frown: :eek6: :eek: :(

2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Good luck, Scotland.

(Coming here soon)

3. GSDlover4ever

I think we are all or will eventually be screwed! :frown: :(

I read somewhere that tehy were thinking about adding staffies to the dangerous dogs list!! :eek6:

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

or the size and power of the dog, gives rise to alarm or apprehensiveness on the part of any person.

so we're not allowed big dogs now??! :mad:

5. GSDlover4ever

apparenly to my knowledge a dog doesn't have to actually bite someone, all it has to do is bark/ lung....and someone to complain and the handler/ dog could be "done" under the DDA! :frown:

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It all looks very sensible to me. Nothing to do with the breed or size of the dog but all down to its behaviour and the control the handler has. What is wrong with that.

7. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

what if a dog suffers fear aggression and someone wont leave the dog alone??

Some people insist on petting a dog even if the dog makes it clear it doesnt want to be touched

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It does say something about the person having to have a reasonable reason for being fearful of the dog. Approaching it and annoying it when asked no to while it under control would not really be reasonable would it. Why dont we let dogs rip people up and of course humans do the same just in case an innocent dog/person has to go to court.

9. GSDlover4ever

Their is many people who could do it out of shear spite.

For instance an x partner an neighbour, even an old lady who is terrified of dogs. All they have to do is complain....
    A dog just has to bark or lung to be classed as out of control.

Have you ever had people shouting amuce at you as you walk down the street with your dog, when it is nicely walking beside you. Simly because of the breed of dog you have!

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

but that can happen now. The DDA is not just aimed at banned breeds, it is aimed at any dog acting in a dangerous way in a public place (which includes your car). It sounds to me as though it will now be far more sensibly legislated and dogs will not be able to be seized on a whim.
    Humans are far more at risk, anyone can be reported of child abuse or as a paedophile equally on a whim and their lives are ruined. And that happens very frequently.

11. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

I don't think this will work !!

I poste don another board about someone mentioning my mates Ambull to police saying it was a pittbull ! And police came too him straight away !!!

All this is gonna do is victimism owners of the so-called ' DANGEROUS BREEDS '

Its alright saying to plod, by dog growled at him/her because she wouldn't leave it alone.. If its a smaller breed..plod will let it go.But if its our wonderfull ' Devil' DOGS WE'RE SCREWED !!!!

12. GSDlover4ever

My thoughts exactly.... :frown:

13. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

i agree with blitz, it looks good to me. doesn't have BSL, which I thought everyone wanted to get rid of. Now they have, people are complaining that their fear aggressive dogs will be picked on.

Behaviour of the dog is right to have a law against. It's deed not breed remember? Now the law has actually put it in writing, do people want to blame breeds again? Or blame the deed?

14. GSDlover4ever

Have you ever had a guarding breed?

A dog in it own property just has to bark at somebody to be deemed dangerous....!

15. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Wouldn't the dog being behind a wall or fence mean it was under control?

16. GSDlover4ever

don't think so as it is in a public place!

17. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Well that would be every dog in my street gone apart from mine, the only guarding breed in the street.

18. GSDlover4ever

Luckily enough for you it is only in Scotland, well for now!

19. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

are we the dummy run to see if it works or not.

20. GSDlover4ever

Yes........ :( :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice