Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The cone of shame...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lyracollie, May 31, 2017.

1. Lyracollie

Lyracollie Crazy hamster lady

...is a massive pain in the backside! :rolleyes:

My knees, face and chest have been rammed into repeatedly the past few days, she's constantly getting stuck on everything, constantly trying to behave like she doesn't have it on her neck, and now apparently today her nose is really itchy because she pulled the bloody thing off and went straight for her wound! :confused: Cone has been tightened, now she's just whimpering and trying to rub her face on whatever she can find.

We still have about 8 days of this to go.

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

#2 SusieRainbow, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I know of your pain as Hector is a serial chewer, but he loved having his ears nose and chin scratched when he had to wear his and yes my poor knees took such a battering as he constantly clattered into me, I was black and blue by the end of the 10 days, but whilst it will feel like forever it is only ten days (ten long hard painful days :Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious)

ForestWomble and Lyracollie like this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

That's what we use for Dillon.. a collar of shame Dillons size is like a large standard lamp shade, we'd have no house left.:D

Lyracollie likes this.
  5. hugie boo boo

hugie boo boo PetForums Member

I'm gonna be feeling your pain in a few weeks, when one of mine is having an opp( back dew claws removed ) and I know he will hate wearing one and will make the whole household suffer in pain as well. I am not sure either how my other one is going to react when his 'brother ' is wearing the collar.

Lyracollie likes this.
  6. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

We used an inflatable collar and medical t shirt for willow

Attached Files:

Lyracollie likes this.
  7. Lyracollie

Yeah, the vets were going to give us an inflatable or soft collar but decided it wouldn't be right for the placement of the wound, it's right on the tip of her snout so she'd be able to get at it. Guess I'll just have to deal with the leg battering for the next week or so. :rolleyes:

But the worst part is when she prances about trying to get it off, usually she stops when you tell her not to but she still does it when she thinks I'm not looking. :confused:

Also one of the cats is constantly trying to sit inside it or attack it, daft thing that he is.

MontyMaude likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never used a cone on any dog and none of the vets I have worked for or used have given them out routinely, only if there is a problem.

Lyracollie likes this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Unfortunately with some wounds/operations you need one. Lyra has a thing on her nose, so without a cone would rub it with her paws or just on furniture or whatever she can find! When Nooka had her two entropion ops she needed the cone as after the painkillers had worn off, the scabbing was itchy and she would rub her eyes without the cone on. It was only on when unsupervised though, when she was with us we'd take it off unless she was trying to rub her face. Sometimes they are needed.

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, so a recovery suit wouldn't be much help then ! But she would look cute .

Lyracollie likes this.
  11. Lyracollie

We didn't use a cone for her spay operation, and we weren't going to use it for this until she started tearing at it - she made the wound worse than it needed to be so we decided it'd be the best thing to do despite it being a bit of a nuisance. I think cones are necessary with dogs who absolutely won't leave the wound alone, better safe than sorry after all.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Of course they are necessary with the odd dog but they seem to be given out by some vets regardless and some owners are leaving them on 24/7 totally unnecessarily. By the way I had a dog that had entropion surgery - no cone. I have also assisted at and observed a few entropion surgeries and no cone, in fact before cones existed and serial lickers had a bucket or flower pot to do the same job on the very rare occasion there was a need.

13. Sarah H

Great that your dog didn't need a cone, most of the dogs I've seen after entopion surgery DO need something to stop them rubbing their face. I'd rub my face if it had itchy stitches in it! And I'd know I wasn't supposed to!

hugie boo boo and Lyracollie like this.
  14. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

Oh yes and those things hurt. My dog has had one on for 2 and a half weeks. They learn how to maneuver to a degree, but still hit it on the ground, hit things including legs ouch.

Lyracollie likes this.
  15. Lyracollie

For sure, got bruises on the back of my legs!
    I'm hoping it won't be on for too much longer, think she'll have hacked through my bones by then. :rolleyes:

Sarah H likes this.
  16. Sarah H

I'm sure they bang in to things on purpose...

17. Lyracollie

Wouldn't surprise me!
    Honestly, it's just making me wonder how people deal with cats that need cones - at least dogs don't jump and climb everywhere. :confused:

MontyMaude likes this.
  18. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

My cat got wedged under the sofa after being spayed, so I took its (the sofa's) legs off so spent two weeks almost sotting on the floor for the sake of the cat :rolleyes:

Sarah H and Lyracollie like this.
  19. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I sure wish she had recovered before I had another mishap and she would have, had she not ripped out her stitches. Gggrrrrrrrrrr! Just had to pick my other girl up from vet yesterday, so caring for two now.

20. Janna Bernardini

Janna Bernardini PetForums Newbie

Honestly speaking, I really don't like the cone of shame even I used them for my dogs a few years ago. However, nowadays, I prefer to use soft dog recovery collar, Inflatable Dog Collar or Neck control collars instead of using those typical hard cones of shame. Here you can also explore more alternates of the cone of shame. I also noticed that pet owners are using DIY jackets or Surgical recovery clothing as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice