Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The collie brain - or not

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Twiggy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My back has been very dodgy for the past week so I decided that my dogs would have to hand me their toys instead of me picking them up to throw on their walks.

All three dogs have been very successful at competitive obedience and know the retrieve exercise very well (or should do).

I instigated the new regime three days ago and with the youngster and the old gal it was no problem, in fact by their afternoon walk they were volunteering their toys without me saying a word but.... then there was Leafy:

The conversation went something like this:

Attempt 1
    "Leafy hold"
    Her response: "Hold, no sorry I haven't the faintest idea what you mean".
    Attempt 2
    "Leafy hold" pointing to the toy.
    Her response: "What!! Look just throw my toy you silly old bag".
    Attempt 3
    "Leafy hold and give" again pointing to the toy and with titbit in hand.
    Her response: She picks the toy up and promptly drops it.
    Attempt 4
    "Leafy you've got to hold and give".
    Her response: "For goodness sake, I've just picked the damn thing up, what more do you want?"
    Attempt 5
    I pick the toy up and throw it.

She finally got it after three days but has to be reminded every single time. Bless her, she can't help it and she does make me laugh.
    She was actually a very reliable and consistent retrieve dog but she's been retired for nearly two years. Tripod is so right in saying that training is ongoing.

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Awwwww.......I can just imagine how that went. I need the getting their in the first place with mine let alone the ongoing....:lol:

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Yep! I was getting frustrated by baffled looks, trying to get similar. I tried all sorts of things, at times it felt like I was playing "What time is it Mr Wolf?" because as soon as I looked at him, he'd stop retrieving and lie down in "Eye" mode.

Mine would be something like :

Me: "Bring ball" with additional hint of pointing and tapping the target.

Freddie: "Yer What? .. oh I have to pick it up and offer it". Stylish attempt to move closer and pick up, but then 2 steps back and a bow, jauntily dropping it a few inches closer, but then it would roll back further than it was before.

Me: Hmmmffffppfff

Freddie: I'll watch it till he's going to throw it.

Repeat, and repeat... With me occasionally getting enthused by progress, only for it to be obvious he hadn't understood.
    2 objects wouldn't work, as he'd generally put down the first one, and watch my throw, with sometimes going back to eyeing object #1 if my throw wasn't exciting enough or something.

What gets me, he is generally so damn good at knowing what I want (often it seems before I do) and at times manages to think up fitting solutions, when I goof up.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes its flipping frustrating at times but you have to see the funny side!!

5. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Very true. In a DVD I watched "A year in the life of a WSD", the shepherd actually says "it's frustrating. I can move her an inch to left or right at 1/2 a mile, but can't even get her to go 10 yards to put her in her kennel!".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice