UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever heard of that breed/cross breed? I love chihuahuas and dachshund, so I though both combined would be amazing, but I searched it up and apparently they are quite hard to house train and are quite yappy... Yappy is not a problem for me, but does anyone know any other info? Thanks... :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Look up the characteristics of both breeds. It is most likely the cross will have characteristics somewhere in the middle but make sure you could cope with a dog that had the worst of both, or was basically completely chi or completely dachshund in character and appearance. When getting a cross your spectrum of tolerance has to encompass both breeds.

I have a springer x collie and he is VERY collie in appearance and character - if I hadn't been collie-ready it could have been difficult but I had done a lot of reading up on collies and how to handle them (as well as springers) so I was ready for him being the extreme of either breed. :)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I am pretty sure CATz4M8z has a chiweenie. They do vary a lot in looks. I had one as a pup years ago - He looked like a stocky chihuahua but I have seem them that look like small dachshunds.
ETA No I am wrong it is Sianrees1979

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
ETA No I am wrong it is Sianrees1979
No, you are right!:D We both have one! Both resemble the Daxie more physically though.
Its true they have the rep for being yappy and hard to house train but then so do both Chi's and Dachshunds so no surprise there! My Hannah looks more like a badly bred Daxie then a cross and her personality takes after that side too so she has a high prey drive, a habit of disappearing into hedgerows on walks and loves the sound of her voice! However she is also extremely affectionate and cuddly and even fantastic with strangers and kids (which can be a problem for some Chiweenies). She isnt too fond of dogs outside the family though and tends to avoid them.
You also have to protect their spines if they take after the Daxie side so avoid too many stairs and pick them up correctly.

Im sure Sianrees1979 will tell you what Daniel is like to live with but I know Id have another one in a heartbeat!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.