Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

The Bulger Killers documentary

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spamvicious, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Whilst there is a difference between 6 year olds and 10 year olds they are both children and their brains are still developing. A couple of months earlier they wouldn’t have been tried for the crime and if they lived in Scotland then they wouldn’t have been prosecuted. Surely putting the correct support in place would be the right thing to do and hopefully have prevented the current situation.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16153045#

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Years ago I read the book by Gitta Sereny about Mary Bell based on the authors research & interviews with Mary Bell. It was incredibly sad for everyone involved, Mary as well as the poor children she killed. I must admit I started reading it with the mindset that she must have known what she was doing but after reading her story (which wasn't written to gain sympathy for her despite what the Daily Mail was trying to imply at the time) I did change my mind as it was far more complex.

I heard Denise Fergus (Jamie Bulger's mother) on Jeremy Vine's show the other week & it was heart breaking to hear her speak as she still blames herself for what could have happened to anyone.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

America has an obsession with putting people in prison, for a long, long time, usually blacks. I'd much rather be tried in an English court room than an American.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  4. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

Who will ever forget that poor kid? Think the details of his murder impacted anyone with a heart, and because of the depraved nature of their actions, it made me question every aspect of their upbringing. Someone has already questioned nature V nurture: maybe these kids were just born bad??? So no, I didn't watch it. But I did read the backlash it received, and am so glad I didn't watch it! His poor parents have to re-live their personal nightmare every time those monsters hit the news! Who thought we'd ever have to give those 2 throw-backs another thought? All power to Jamie's parents: they are made of stronger stuff that I. Lets hope the Politicians and those who have the power to, actually support these poor, broken people and see that justice is properly implemented so that these and all other baby killers et al get the proper sentences they deserve. I would imagine in some countries, even though those two were mere 'kids' themselves at the time, they'd have been given some sort of life sentence with no parole. They deserved to be locked up and the key thrown away. Just my opinion of course. Think any parent of a kid who was much the same age as Jamieat that time must feel outraged about all the pandering these two have received over the years. (Have to stop now, having just spoke to my 9yr old grandson telling me how his b.day went today. Bit too emotive-a subject me thinks. Besides, I only came on here looking for some dog-related ear problem advice!!). RIP Jamie, love x

5. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

While I don't believe Thompson and Venables should have been tried as adults (it appears we are quite backwards as a country when it comes to the age of criminal responsibility) I don't think James Bulger's murder and the Norwegian case are really comparable. Not to minimise what happened to that poor girl but not only were those involved significantly younger it seems like it was a case of rough play that escalated, and the boys, probably scared of getting in trouble, left her in the snow where she succumbed. This is miles apart from deliberate abduction and subsequent torture of a toddler.

6. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I watched the documentary too. From watching another documentary it was implied that one of the major issues that Jon Vennables had was being given a new identity and basically living a lie. He struggled to live with the big secret and ended up revealing who he was several times when he was drunk. I imagine the pressure must have been enormous.

7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I watched it ( as I tend to all the true crime documentaries ) and am equally as appalled as I'm sure everyone with any sense of normality would be.

Do I feel any sympathy for the killers? Nope, not whatsoever especially as Venables has been found to be a repeat offender so obviously not 'rehabiliated'. I do believe 10 year old children do know the difference between right & wrong, and especially kids as street wise as both the boys were in this case. What's more because it was seen to be premeditated and the level of violence used, I do think these kids were just deranged somehow.

The horror of what poor James' family have to live through is just unimaginable.

8. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

This particular boy (now man) isn't black but you're right about the racism.

9. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Lee Carroll Brooker (white) is a 76-year old disabled American army veteran from Cottonwood, Alabama who was sentenced to life in prison without parole after being convicted of marijuana possession in 2014.
    This is not the only case of its kind. The penal system in America is out of control.,

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The particular case about the boy Eric Smith although may has parallels with the Bulger case..the case it self was darker in several aspects than the Bulger case. I think the reason he hasn't been realised is because of they do not deem him as being as rehabilitated...take what you will from that...but as I said the case is dark.

I mentioned before on another thread, that people can do dire acts as children and pay their dues Ann Perry being one of them.

Of course nature nurture born evil, we can argue till blue in the face.

I feel it's a tragedy that this thread is here, albeit me commenting on it, I would rather see a thread on what good came out of the death of a child how Jamie's mum started an antibullying campaign that sadly no one hears of, it's all an after thought in any documentary. I think 25 years on, we should have been celebrating that rather than dragging up the past. So no I didn't watch the documentaries...I don't think we needed to know that his woman his mum lived with a loss all this time, and as a nation when parents are stood at the gates of a primary school, that children of this age group could harm another so callously, it does make you thankful for YOUR relationships with these children in whatever aspect that is, and that keeping every child safe is a priority.

Sproglet and Cleo38 like this.
  11. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Which is why there is a petition (100,000 signatures reached) to to have his release debated in parliament.

QUOTE -"The petition claims "there have been a number of issues that have been swept under the carpet", including why the killer was deemed rehabilitated."

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-02-10/jon-venables-petition-debate/

J

Sproglet likes this.
  12. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

All I am going to say is that the brain as with every part of our bodies doesn't develop overnight once we reach adulthood. There are two roads to follow in life we choose which one we take with parental guidance.

I definitely knew right from wrong at nursery approximately 3 years old, what I didn't know was the possible consequences of my actions, all I knew was they were wrong and I wanted them to feel what it was like to fall down the steps, all involved were 3 to 4 years old.

There was a door leading to a few steps down to the main play area, no-one was supervising us at that point. I walked through the door and saw two girls push another down the stairs and she was obviously crying. I grabbed one girl at a time and pushed them down the stairs. I got caught, there must have been such a noise not just with the girls falling but all three were crying. I was punished, I was told I was naughty, I haven't to ever do that again. Even then at 3 if someone had have asked me would I do it again the answer would have been yes. In my mind I knew I was wrong for the right reasons, these girls hurt my friend and I wanted them to know what it was like, no-one asked why I did it, no-one explained how dangerous it actually was and the two bullies got away with it.

Ask yourselves a question why is there more adult killers than child killers after all the brain has fully develop in an adult. Using the experts logic there would be more child killers than adult killers.

No-one will ever convince me rehabilitation works, I know the statistics show otherwise - wrong first time offenders aren't first time offenders its just the first time they have been caught. Even the policeman in the interview said he hopes Robert is doing well staying out of trouble has a job etc., etc but he doubts it. imo a person that hasn't re offended, hasn't been caught yet.

People scream out to give these people a second chance, well John has had his and blown it - now what should be done with him and why isn't the parole board and all involved accessories to the crimes criminals commit after so called rehabilitation.

Elles likes this.
  13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

They were totally aware that what they had done was horrific; why otherwise would they deny the torture and murder but then try to blame the other? Sadly, a few people saw James being taken the three miles to his death, thought it looked 'a bit off', but didn't 'interfere' apart from one woman who asked what was going on and was (cunningly) told by one of them that they were taking him back to his mother; so she left them to it. The problem being that no-one believed that two ten-year-olds could be capable of inflicting such injuries on a baby.

sskmick, Dogloverlou and kimthecat like this.
  14. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

There is a programme on Thursday on ITV at 9pm . Its Children Who Kill with Susanna Reid who meets children in the US who have been convicted of murder.

15. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I couldn’t watch it, poor little mite. The lady you say who questioned them and let them go, must have nightmares. Dreadful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice