Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the breed formerly known as ABERDEEN... now Scotty

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by leashedForLife, May 6, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Well i lurve scotties (as i should considering billy is half one!)

but i disagree with your retrievermans posts about how much the dogs have changed. The cut of the coat has changed yes, but the dogs themselves seem to have changed little in appearance.

Here is Champion Heather Realisation from the 30's A record holder for more than 50 yrs as the scotty with the most cc's. Interestingly she was a brindle too!
    [​IMG]

Here is heather herald - from the late 40's
    [​IMG]
    the haircut has changed but the dog is essentially of same type

Finally a fully modern dog... brash celebration - bob crufts 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Agree that the haircut has got even more ridiculous, but i still dont see any huge differences in the dogs conformation!

Its one of the reasons i love this breed, yes the hairstyle has been mucked about with but the dogs type hasnt really changed.

3. leashedForLife

i dunno, BBM -
    yes they are all recognizably Scotties, but the first 2 have apparently-level backs from neck to tail base;
    #2 is dismayingly vertical in the front, but otherwise looks like an active, well-made dog.
    both have more daylight between body + floor; their ribcages are oval, appearing more-flat from the side.

the next-2 are round-barreled, have less leg from body to floor, both appear *shorter* to their withers + skull from the floor,
    and have a distinct curve in their spines, a dip from neck to tail-base.

the last-dog, a M i think, is distinctly padded over the neck + shoulder - i think he is fat, but his forechest is clearly AHEAD of his legs.
    so the modern-dogs appear shorter overall, definitely shorter in leg, the torso has definitely rounded,
    and the spine dips; the arched-neck is also marked in the bitch, and can be seen in the M-dog,
    but both the earlier-bitches appear to have straight necks?

EDITED to add:
    the anus in the 2 modern-dogs seems to have moved upwards - i wonder if the rear-legs are getting vertical?
    the Asian love of straight-rears + sky-facing anus has always puzzled me; its terrible structure for function,
    very unforgiving and easily whacked-out by trauma or over- or under-nutrition in pups.

i wouldn;t have trouble telling what they are, but make bitch #1 WHITE + she could be a modern-Westie.
    JMO, but i like the early-dogs better, myself - ignoring the coat entirely, i prefer the more-moderate structure. :eek:
    [my biggest objection to Scotties is the almost-inevitable M:M aggro in M-dogs of the breed, yeesh!]

all my best,
    --- terry

#3 leashedForLife, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice