UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...otherwise known as the Dissertation.

I've actually started writing it!! I can't believe I'm already in my final year, and embarking on such an important project. I'm going to be a uni graduate in a matter of months :yikes:

Who else is 'Big D-ing'? And what are you all doing it on?

I'm just nosey really, and already procrastinating :eek::laugh:

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
I'm Big D-ing! I wonder if it's worth asking a mod to make this a sticky to all the Big-D peeps can lend each other a hand? We could do an email circulation where we send each other our work so we can all proof-read and give feedback?

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm Big D-ing! I wonder if it's worth asking a mod to make this a sticky to all the Big-D peeps can lend each other a hand? We could do an email circulation where we send each other our work so we can all proof-read and give feedback?
That sounds like a good idea! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Eek good luck with your dissertation! Whats your sunbject/topic?

I've just started my fDa in the early years and development of babies and young children...

Just started my first proper assignment lol. On a development theorist of our choice, I chose Vygotsky.

It's taken me all day to write the introduction, I know what I want to say, but find it so hard in putting it down on paper :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I haven't started writing mine yet and already panicking about it :(

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've just started my fDa in the early years and development of babies and young children...

Just started my first proper assignment lol. On a development theorist of our choice, I chose Vygotsky.

It's taken me all day to write the introduction, I know what I want to say, but find it so hard in putting it down on paper :eek:
Ooh, that sounds interesting! It's so annoying when you can't quite word something right, though, isn't it? Utterly frustrating!!

I did a mock dissertation last year (a 6000 word research report), looking at educational provisions in place for children with autism and speech and language needs. I'm going to build on that for the diss, by making my own SEN project, which I will pilot on the two children I work with (I'm a family support worker).

I am- geekily- looking forward to it, and have started to devise certain aspects of the provision already. Will be difficult, but very eye-opening :)

I haven't started writing mine yet and already panicking about it :(
I know what you mean- I'm already really scared about the whole process :eek: Makes me a bit more confident just getting a few words down in the literature review, though.

I'm sure you'll be fine- good luck!! :)

·
Banned
4,669 Posts

You might find that it's easier to write the intro after you've written the rest of the essay. I usually make a plan of the points I want to include, write the bulk of it, proof read it and then do my intro and conclusion.

Reactions: MissShelley

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might find that it's easier to write the intro after you've written the rest of the essay. I usually make a plan of the points I want to include, write the bulk of it, proof read it and then do my intro and conclusion.
I always do my intro last, too. It's much easier, as it would otherwise need changing constantly, as the study develops...

Everyone studies differently, though, so find your own way of doing it. I'm sure you'll be fine once you've got into the swing of it :)

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Ooh, that sounds interesting! It's so annoying when you can't quite word something right, though, isn't it? Utterly frustrating!!

I did a mock dissertation last year (a 6000 word research report), looking at educational provisions in place for children with autism and speech and language needs. I'm going to build on that for the diss, by making my own SEN project, which I will pilot on the two children I work with (I'm a family support worker).

I am- geekily- looking forward to it, and have started to devise certain aspects of the provision already. Will be difficult, but very eye-opening :)

I know what you mean- I'm already really scared about the whole process :eek: Makes me a bit more confident just getting a few words down in the literature review, though.

I'm sure you'll be fine- good luck!! :)
Aww that sounds fab, I'd love to read it when you've completed it :) And thanks

That sounds like a good idea, I may try that for the next assignment :) Thank you.

I always do my intro last, too. It's much easier, as it would otherwise need changing constantly, as the study develops...

Everyone studies differently, though, so find your own way of doing it. I'm sure you'll be fine once you've got into the swing of it :)
This is true, and I shall find my way I'm sure, but it's great hearing how others do things and giving them a go :)

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
The tutor didn't like my domestic violence/animal abuse idea at all:(
So I have spent most of today trawling research papers looking for inspiration, which I haven't found so far:crying: finding it really hard to find a topic that really interests me, I was supposed to be going for a social at our friend's house tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to stay home & work now:(

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
So I have spent most of today trawling research papers looking for inspiration, which I haven't found so far:crying: finding it really hard to find a topic that really interests me, I was supposed to be going for a social at our friend's house tomorrow, but I think I'm going to have to stay home & work now:(
I wish there was a dislike button :(

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aww noooooo! :( That's a bummer :thumbdown:

I'd already started mine without approval (too geeky to put it on hold :eek:), and luckily, my supervisor liked the idea. Phew!

I was really looking forward to hearing about your idea, as well. When I first started working at the SAA there was a stunning black cat who had been brought in as he was in a violent home. His name was Lucky and I really loved him :001_wub:

Perhaps you could still study something to do with people and animals, such as services for the elderly and animal therapy. I would LOVE to be an animal therapist (as in somebody who works with vulnerable people and animals, not an animal counsellor...), so that's something that I'd find very interesting.

It's your project, though, so my interests don't really matter :eek:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine's about drug policy I wanted to do it about the factors influencing drug policy making but I don't know if that's too broad. I'm actually waiting for my tutor to respond to my email about it's been almost a week. So hopefully I'll get a response soon:D

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine's about drug policy I wanted to do it about the factors influencing drug policy making but I don't know if that's too broad. I'm actually waiting for my tutor to respond to my email about it's been almost a week. So hopefully I'll get a response soon:D
Sounds very interesting! Let us know when your tutor responds, and how it develops :)

And thank you, Lynn, for making this a sticky! :D

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
Sounds very interesting! Let us know when your tutor responds, and how it develops :)

And thank you, Lynn, for making this a sticky! :D
Ooh is it a sticky? Yay! I was only thinking the other day I wonder if I should start a Dissertations Anonymous thread, but I wasn't sure there were many of us on here:eek:

Feeling a little more positive, have found a mountain of research papers on temperament testing in dogs, so I've bookmarked them for perusal tomorrow:thumbup:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ooh is it a sticky? Yay! I was only thinking the other day I wonder if I should start a Dissertations Anonymous thread, but I wasn't sure there were many of us on here:eek:

Feeling a little more positive, have found a mountain of research papers on temperament testing in dogs, so I've bookmarked them for perusal tomorrow:thumbup:
Ah, that's a good topic :thumbup: I've watched some temperament testing at the SAA and find it fascinating. Let us know when you have an idea of what you're doing :D

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
Ohh my, all this dissertation stuff sounds great! When are everyone's deadlines?

I think it would be useful to start some sort of mailing group where we exchange emails and send over drafts we're unsure of or just want checking over. Sometimes it helps to have someone read it that knows nothing about it so can provide a fresh pair of eyes :D

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
Ohh my, all this dissertation stuff sounds great! When are everyone's deadlines?

I think it would be useful to start some sort of mailing group where we exchange emails and send over drafts we're unsure of or just want checking over. Sometimes it helps to have someone read it that knows nothing about it so can provide a fresh pair of eyes :D
Proposal's due in after half term, the good news is it's only 1500 words:D

Main assignment's due in June

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.