Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

the alpha dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by scottishbelle, Jul 15, 2009.

1. scottishbelle

scottishbelle PetForums Newbie

Hi all

I have five dogs, 2 elderly, 1 female (6) and two I call the pups one female and one male - both currently 4.

There have been fights in the past between an elderly dog (jet who was the alpha male) and the female - 6 ,Ebony - who is a very dominate and bright dog. Since the pups have got older, Jack now 4 is play fighting with his litter mate but has more serious spats with Ebony.

I know he is the aplha dog in the pack. Should I interfere with these spats - really they are just handbags at dawn so to speak? Jack is not a bright dog but he is really just claiming his position. I would interfere if it was with one of the elderly dogs but should I just let the younger ones sort it out amongst themselve. No blood has been drawn over this. Just all teeth and pinning down!

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi.

A difficult one!

I think you should let nature take it's course, but ensure you are maintaining the position of top dog! Do you think your dogs see you like this?

I have had similar problems in the past with my guys. I would only intervene if it is getting to be dangerous or one of the dogs get hurt.

Dogs are quite sensible in that they tend to sort it out amoungst them selves. It's not often they get into fights over it. If I was you, I would leave the room if they do start, as one thing I learnt (we had fights when we got our newest rescue) is that a human alone can be enough to trigger it off and indeed make it worse. So unless you fear that they may really do harm, then I would walk away.

Are your dogs neutered?

x

3. scottishbelle

Yes the dogs know I am top dog! but I was only concerned that my interference with the spats might lead them to get worse if you know what I mean. I like your advice about walking away. I do tend to shout and they then scatter. They do tend to do this outside, just when I open the doors to let them out. It seems to be a priority thing. Outside they "bicker" and fly at each other. But as I said all teeth and growling - lots of noise but no serious biting.

Jack will be alpha dog in his own mind but he is not as bright as Ebony and she will only given in when pushed into a corner.

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Dogs will sort it out among themselves. As long as you're the top dog they will work out their own pack heirarchy just let them work it out as long as it doesn't get too dangerous.

5. scottishbelle

Thanks again. I think that I am too quick to jump on their behaviour.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice