Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

The 120ltr Makeover - a Journal

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by LinznMilly, May 21, 2020.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

When I first started in fishkeeping, I joined a forum that was heavily into natural plant set-ups, and quickly indoctrinated into their way of thinking. All synthetic fakery was actively discouraged.

I grew to love an all-natural set-up, and still do, as evidenced in the way I set up my 200ltr during its own makeover, in which the only thing that really changed was the substrate - from black and white gravel, to sand (more "naturalness,").

But when my SIL (who loves my tanks) couldn't tell the difference between the 120ltr and the 200, I started questioning why I stuck so rigidly to the natural, planted tank set-ups that I have for so long.

The 120ltr needs a massive makeover of its own. It looks uncared for. So, now that it's bigger sister is more or less finished, I've turned my attention to my more neglected, problem "child".

This time, the sand substrate stays, but it's time to get creative.

I'm building Atlantis - the lost city of. :D

There'll still be plants and probably driftwood in the tank to give it sort of a more authentic, abandoned look, but hopefully it'll give the tank an identity of its own.

Here's what I'm starting with;
    received_595164401087073.jpeg

The first 2 ornaments arrived last week.

The first was a ruined Roman column that was a bit more "ruined" than I anticipated;

IMG_20200521_133613_262.jpg

It went back to Amazon for a refund.

The second was a set of jars and a barrel;
    IMG_20200511_123758_448.jpg

It's a bit bigger than I expected;
    IMG_20200511_140611.jpg

I'm keeping it for now. But if that's the size of the jars/barrel, I'd have to move Atlantis to the 200ltr :Hilarious . Luckily I saw some smaller, more appropriate sized jars in the local pet shop. I'll be going back tomorrow to grab some. Let's hope they're still there. :)

In the meantime, the 3rd ornament, a replacement for the Roman column arrivedy yesterday and it's very much a case of 3rd time lucky;
    15900650286471155909585.jpg

Not much of an overhaul yet, but then this wouldn't be a journal thread if it suddenly went from zero to Atlantis. :D ;)

2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

That's sounds like such a good idea. Ngl I was laughing when you said about the ornament being more broken then expected, because when I scrolled down and saw the pic I was surprised. :Hilarious:Hilarious

Can't wait for the updates. It is nice to follow along with something like this.

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Nice idea, sounds like a fab project! I'm like you in that I've always gone for natural-looking only, but I have thought about doing something different after seeing some set-ups that have different kinds of decor and look lovely for it. My clumsy fish tend to hurt themselves on anything that is too rough, even seemly smooth rocks, so I have considered looking for some kind of glass ornaments instead as I'd hate for it to be bare, but I can't find anything I fancy so far.

I thought the broken Roman column was rather amusing and apt for your theme, but I'm glad you finally got your unbroken one :D

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks. Yeah, I figured it would be nice to watch the tank evolve.

Dozy gitt that I am, when I first unpacked the ornament, I thought I'd been given extra. :Bag. It took a few seconds to notice the bright white resin and the sharp edges. In fact, if it wasn't for those sharp edges, I'd have considered keeping it. It's a bit of a shame, really.

I've just done the water changes and cleaned the algae off the glass so here's what the whole tank looks like atm;

1590073160927708421884.jpg
    15900742075631684309688.jpg

George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

What about a sort of marine set up with fake corals, plants and jellyfish?

magpie likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Ooh, that's a good idea! Can't really afford to buy anything at the moment, but I can look!

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I look forward to seeing what you do with it. :D

magpie likes this.
  8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I managed to grab one of the jars/urns ornaments yesterday, and ordered a barrel ornament and then began to worry about how much space would be left for the three buildings I want - an arena, a palace and, of course, a temple.
    IMG_20200523_160334_359.jpg

So when the barrels came from Amazon, I moved things around, and completely removed the largest piece of wood from the tank, putting the second largest, which had been in the corner, in its place.

The tank currently looks like this:
    IMG_20200523_161107.jpg

Rocky seems happy, investigating the column and picking off fauna and flora growing on them.

I'll be ordering the temple next week. :D

magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  9. George Duke-Cohan

Looking good already. This is going to be a good build. Are you going to use / keep tannins?

10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks. I hope so. :D

Yeah, I'll be sticking with the tannins. It'll help with the natural aspect of the build. :)

11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

So, Rocky disapproved of my rearranging his tank;
    IMG_20200524_152555.jpg

:D

12. George Duke-Cohan

O no! What are you going to now? Was it just that ornament that he did not like or was it the entire tank?.... :confused:

13. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Haha! How very dare you put things in his tank without his approval?!! :D

LinznMilly and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  14. George Duke-Cohan

Literally... :Hilarious

15. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Perhaps he preferred it at the front of the tank. It remained standing for 2 whole days there. :Hilarious

I'm leaving it exactly where it is. :cool: I refuse to get into a disagreement about an ornament with a fish :Cigar :Hilarious

Bad enough arguing with Milly
    . :rolleyes: :D :Wacky

16. George Duke-Cohan

How is the tank going. I have to say that I have never had a problem with my fish not liking what I put in there tank. Hopefully I never do as I will probably give into the fish. :Arghh

17. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Nothing new has happened in there yet, although my vallis has suddenly decided to start growing. :D And I stood the column up again. Rocky's left it alone since. :D

My attention (and available funds :oops: :rolleyes: ) have been going on the killifish and their tank. I hope to get some more ornaments in a couple of weeks or so. :)

Thanks for asking.

18. George Duke-Cohan

Glad to hear that you won the battle. Cant wait to see what you plan on doing next.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice