UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...that I've picked up from the side of the road after someone else killed it and drove off. The one I collected today was literally just a minutes drive from the vets and hadn't been dead for more than a few hours. Thankfully the one I collected today was chipped, so at least the owners can have some closure, as awful as it will be for them :-(

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
there is a family just up the road from me, they have had 3 cats killed on the road outside their home within 10 days. why they dont keep them in or build a run i dont know.
Because they are doing the right thing, and you are evil suggesting it! :devil:

Thats the comments I get at work, thats why I try not to go in to the office unless I have to.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
yes i know. they have made several comments to me that im cruel, i have 2 cats in a 9 metre long by 3 metre wide cat run attached to a wooden play cottage with an upstairs sleeping part and im wrong for trapping them in there as cats are meant to be free roaming.
i didnt say much only well im not the one in the rain scraping the road.

G

·
Oh how awful for you OP :( I am so terrified of hitting a cat in our road is it's a narrow one with parked cars down either side. Luckily all the cats seem pretty road savvy and I go about 10 mph.

I lived in a house once, a rented property, and the landlord was reluctant to let people with cats live there, as the lady who lived there before had FIVE cats killed on the 40mph bit right outside the house. How the hell do you allow five of your pets to be killed before you change what you're doing??? We had a cattery though, so my babies were safe.

It really annoys me when people bang on about how cats should be allowed to be "free". Even my dad went on and on about it after Gryffin died and I was like "No? I've lost one cat so why would I continue to let them outside???" Then bought the cattery.
If anyone does start spouting that line, then I just inform them of how much of a menace free roaming cats are. They kill the local wildlife (I really really miss birdsong :() and crap in people's gardens which is a hazard to the children playing there. I see cat owners who fork out for a cattery and spend time and effort in maintaining litter trays as really responsible personally.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My cats are also indoor cats, because I'd hate to be scraping my own cat off the road.....but somehow I find the strength to do it for other people's cats! My main reason for doing it though is to give the poor cat some final dignity rather than being left to rot at the side of the road :-(

My MIL doesn't agree to cats being kept inside, and when we mentionned getting another cat to her, she asked if that would also be an indoor cat. When I replied yes, she gave me a "Hmmmm...". I know by now that that "Hmmm" as a disapproving one!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
How awful, and how horrible for you to have to deal with! :(

I used to be friends with someone(when we were young teens) whose family would buy a kitten, let it out and it would get hit by a car and die as they lived next to a busy country road. Then they would just buy a new kitten :mad: I don't really talk to him any more but when I did they went through about 6 kittens in 2 years, then treated it as a joke that their latest kitten was almost a year old and it hadn't been hit by a car yet like it was a record :cursing::cursing:

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Oh how awful :( bless you for taking it to the vet, as you say at least the owners can be informed now :( I get called all the time for keeping Oscar and Rosie in and having a cat run, especially with Oscar being used to going out before his accident! No way will I ever allow any cat of mine to free roam again and they can call me all they like!!!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Poor cats. Bless you for caring x
30 years ago I think it was ok for cats to be free but as there are more cars and heavy traffic on our roads and it seems more sadistic people about there is no way that I would ever let one of mine free to roam again.

I think it's bad enough loosing one on the road let a lone 3,4,5 and even 6!!
That is just sick.:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.